• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 1:45 am
[OP]
May 12, 2009
128 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Replacing aluminum door with steele doors

I've been looking to replace aluminum door for the main entrance to the house. Steel door is what I'm interested in. Spent time looking and can't decide. Looked at Stanley doors. A friend has had his for over 20 years and shows no sign of wear. There are so many brands on the market makes it difficult to decide or choose. We are planning to install it ourselves. Some suggestions would be most appreciated!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
So many options... I'd stay away from reliabilt, Stanley, alumniart, Masonite.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
128 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
You are right. Too many options. I'm definitely not buying Masonite. You also mentioned Stanley. What is your objection to Stanley? Few that I've seen installed seem to wear well over the years. They appear sturdy.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1447 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:08 pm
So many options... I'd stay away from reliabilt, Stanley, alumniart, Masonite.
I have a Stanley. Solid, well made door. It's been my front entrance door for over 20 years with no issues. I also have an AluminArt Clearvue storm door which I installed, again with no issues. I highly recommend those brands.
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
serbianbelle wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 9:56 am
You are right. Too many options. I'm definitely not buying Masonite. You also mentioned Stanley. What is your objection to Stanley? Few that I've seen installed seem to wear well over the years. They appear sturdy.
The brands I listed are the one that I am most frequently asked to REMOVE from people's houses. So while a one off door here or there may perform, it's not indicative of all of them.

All doors LOOK solid. What's the warranty? What's the construction? What kind of foam filling? Important questions...

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
Jerico wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 11:21 am

All doors LOOK solid. What's the warranty? What's the construction? What kind of foam filling? Important questions...
I'll add "whats the warranty fine print?" My favorite one is from Masonite and Reliabilt where they have up to 12 months if a door warps to see if it warps back. Actually, that's my second favorite... My favorite warranty is Nuance Doors (Rona's instore brand). On all their literature for the longest time it said "nuancedoors.com/warranty" and then you went to that website and it always just said "coming soon". Now they dont even have that. No warranty information pre-sale.

[OP]
May 12, 2009
128 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks JERICO Since you work on doors you know more than I. You are right, warranty and construction are important. What kind of insulation should I be looking for and how thick? The door I have at the moment has no window. I would like one that lets in some light.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
serbianbelle wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 1:36 pm
Thanks JERICO Since you work on doors you know more than I. You are right, warranty and construction are important. What kind of insulation should I be looking for and how thick? The door I have at the moment has no window. I would like one that lets in some light.
2lb sprayfoam and all doors are same thickness. Biggest thing is what the wood frame inside the door is made of, what the frame is made of, and insulation value of the glass.