• Oct 30th, 2012 6:13 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 10, 2008
404 posts
16 upvotes
Markham

Replacing Cabin Air Filter

I have a Camry 2005. Took my car to a garage, and they said I have to replace the cabin air filter for $50.
Not knowing what it is, I deferred the work and thought I'd ask rfd experts first.

Some questions I have:
1. How often are cabin air filters replaced
2. how do you know when it needs replacement?
3. Are all cabin air filters the same size, how do I know if it fits my camry 2005?
4. Is there a difference in type of filters? At Canadian Tire I see one for $14.99 and another for $5.79
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

Thanks
44 replies
Oct 1, 2005
793 posts
14 upvotes
your first link is the cabin air filter and your second link is the ENGINE air filter.

I would check canadian tire to see if there's a little book with makes and models next to the filter section. typically it'll tell you which specific filter you need... if not you could pull out your existing one and find an identical one
Sep 30, 2001
25590 posts
4754 upvotes
sctfung wrote:
Oct 28th, 2012 1:46 am
I have a Camry 2005. Took my car to a garage, and they said I have to replace the cabin air filter for $50.
The cabin air filter is something everyone should do themselves. don't pay good money on such an easy job.

I change it once a year and i use the activated charcoal variety to keep the air smelling (relatively) clean

just do it once a year and you're good. or you can pop it open and see how much dirt and crap is in there. it's like your furnance filter.

3. Are all cabin air filters the same size, how do I know if it fits my camry 2005?
no you need a specific one for your car. each make/model is different (but there can be overlap. like a lexus ES is most likely the same as your camry)

4. Is there a difference in type of filters? At Canadian Tire I see one for $14.99 and another for $5.79
well as mentioned, make sure you're looking for *cabin* air filters. beyond that there's the regular plain white pleated version or the slightly more expensive activated charcoal type. get either.

search google/youtube on step by step instructions to replace it. its dead simple. in the camry it probably amounts to unhooking your glove box door to get to the access panel.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20472 posts
1247 upvotes
Aurora
You haven't replaced your cabin filter for 7 years, possibly 8 years. You're long over due.

Definitely do it yourself. I also replace mine annually. For my car, the filter costs $30 and takes me 10 minutes to do it.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2818 posts
174 upvotes
sctfung wrote:
Not knowing what it is, I deferred the work and thought I'd ask rfd experts first.

Some questions I have:

Thanks
Go to CT, Buy Fram Filter Product Number : 123-2430-2. It'll cost you $18.99+tax.
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Change it once a year by yourself. It's easy and inexpensive.

I tried the FRAM Fresh Breeze filter in my vehicle before, but decided to replace it with just a plain filter after that. I bought mine from eBay and had it shipped from China....there were no problems with it and it's just like anything you'd buy here. Here's one that would fit your Camry: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cabin-Air-Filter ... 405wt_1159
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Aug 27, 2009
989 posts
195 upvotes
Oakville
I've often wondered if it makes any sense to replace cabin air filters. If your blower is on and bringing in adequate fresh air then the cabin filter obviously isn't plugged but then when you open the windows all that filtered air gets lost anyway. The only issue may be that if it's (too) plugged you may be straining your blower a bit.

I also find that the ones with activated charcoal don't do much whether it's with skunks, newly fertilized farmers' fields, diesel vehicles or other smelly areas. I just put on the recirc button if I can hit it in time.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
sctfung wrote:

Some questions I have:
Usually every 25,00 km or so ...or about once a year.
sctfung wrote:
Check your owners manual and or when ( upon inspection ) it visibly dirty ( see below )

sctfung wrote:
No...you need to find one specifically spec'd for your car.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
RETD wrote:
Oct 28th, 2012 8:31 am
I've often wondered if it makes any sense to replace cabin air filters. If your blower is on and bringing in adequate fresh air then the cabin filter obviously isn't plugged but then when you open the windows all that filtered air gets lost anyway. The only issue may be that if it's (too) plugged you may be straining your blower a bit.
+1

If it's really dirty and restricts air flow too severely, I'd heard that you may run the risk of the fan drawing too many amps - which in turn, may compromise certain circuits / temp control parts ( modules ).
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
This was the cabin filter in my 2001 MPV when I purchased it in 2005. I don't think the previous owner had changed it in 4 years. :lol:

These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
depends where you drive and if you use your blower more but should be replaced 2 years max
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
113 upvotes
It is not required to replace the cabin air filter, there is no way your car will be damaged if you don't do it. It has nothing to do with the car's engine, all it does is filters the air that comes in to the car when you turn on the hear or ac. I changed mine (it was a bit dirty) and notice no improvement in air quality. I used to have a car that didn't even have a carbin air filter (lots of cars don't have them). There is no improvement in air when you car has it, you still smell every bad smell from outside just as much as in a car that doesn't have it. You people that replace it every year are nuts, just wasting money.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2358 posts
173 upvotes
Being RFD - I will take mine out, vacuum with my Dyson hand held, then put it back.
Replace after a couple years.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
× < >