• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 9:00 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11278 posts
1886 upvotes

Replacing caulking around shower knob... to now possible bathroom remodeling

So this morning I noticed the caulking that goes around the handle (that controls the water) lifted from the wall when I turned it off. When I turn it off, I twist the know and pull away a little. This is probably what caused the seal to break. When I don't touch it, it looks like it's flush to the wall.

I have never caulked before (consider me a noob), but it this something I can easily fix? Can I just remove the old caulk and apply a new layer?
Last edited by joeyjoejoe on Sep 12th, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2391 posts
675 upvotes
Windsor
Remove old caulking, clean everything as well as possible, install new caulking. Yes, a total noob could do it. Worst case scenario, it doesn't look perfect, and you can just have another go at it next weekend. Watch a few youtube videos if you're concerned. You'll probably also want to take a look at how the fixture is installed, since it should not be moving much, if at all.

My personal random tip is to use methyl hydrate to clean the area just before installing caulking; IMO it does the best job of ensuring the new caulking adheres to the wall as perfectly as possible.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6836 posts
1785 upvotes
Maple
Use clear, bathroom rated caulk.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1894 posts
537 upvotes
Markham
It is not hard. Your fingers will get slightly dirty. I have done bath tubs and sinks many times. Remember, it will need 24hrs (give or take) to cure.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11278 posts
1886 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 10:21 am
Remove old caulking, clean everything as well as possible, install new caulking. Yes, a total noob could do it. Worst case scenario, it doesn't look perfect, and you can just have another go at it next weekend. Watch a few youtube videos if you're concerned. You'll probably also want to take a look at how the fixture is installed, since it should not be moving much, if at all.

My personal random tip is to use methyl hydrate to clean the area just before installing caulking; IMO it does the best job of ensuring the new caulking adheres to the wall as perfectly as possible.
Thanks for the tips. I watched 1 video after noticing the crack... seemed really easy, but still wanted to get some tips.
BDSL wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 1:09 pm
It is not hard. Your fingers will get slightly dirty. I have done bath tubs and sinks many times. Remember, it will need 24hrs (give or take) to cure.
So don't use it for 24 hrs? I guess this just became a weekend project.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
472 upvotes
MONTR
Get the bathroom caulkor it will grow mold and mildew.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1333 posts
190 upvotes
Grimsby
nomdesplumes wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 3:46 pm
Get the bathroom caulkor it will grow mold and mildew.
If you leave the shower doors or drapes open an inch or so you will have no mould issues because as the furnace blows it will create the needed air movement to dry the area.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6225 posts
883 upvotes
Make sure you remove all traces of the old caulk. New caulk will generally not stick to old caulk.

And as others have mentioned make sure you get caulk specifically for bathrooms because it will contain the fungicides and whatnot to prevent mold from growing on it in a damp environment.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11278 posts
1886 upvotes
So upon further inspection... the faucet can move quite a bit. I would say half a cm pushing it either way to the left or right. I could replace the caulk, but that'll probably not hold.

From when the Kitec pipes were replaced in my condo, they cut out the tile along the grout line (pic below). I assume the same thing needs to be done again?

I never liked that tile... the tiles have a faint pattern that is the same with each tile. Very standard condo tile. They all line up except for 1 tile. My OCD can't deal with it. Maybe this is a good time to switch it out. I could probably do this myself, but being a complete noob and not having the time to take on yet another project... probably better to hire a contractor? Any recos in short order? Like first week of October?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7781 posts
200 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 4:25 pm
So upon further inspection... the faucet can move quite a bit. I would say half a cm pushing it either way to the left or right. I could replace the caulk, but that'll probably not hold.

From when the Kitec pipes were replaced in my condo, they cut out the tile along the grout line (pic below). I assume the same thing needs to be done again?

I never liked that tile... the tiles have a faint pattern that is the same with each tile. Very standard condo tile. They all line up except for 1 tile. My OCD can't deal with it. Maybe this is a good time to switch it out. I could probably do this myself, but being a complete noob and not having the time to take on yet another project... probably better to hire a contractor? Any recos in short order? Like first week of October?
removing/replacing all tiles is not an easy job (imo since you say you're a noob)
you will need to rip out all the densheild and replace it, then tile, then grout, then caulk

as for the "1 tile, you could take it out separately and replace it...would take less time, and cost a whole lot less than remodel. LOL
as for the faucet moving..do you have a picture of it now? is there a face plate? you might just need to remove the faucet and check to see if everything is "ok" behind the face plate.
as for re-caulking...use goo gone...it has a chemical..xylene (which you can't get concentrated if you're not a contractor....i tried), that will help you remove the existing silicone caulking. spray....and just use a damp cloth/non-scratch scotebrite to removed the old caulking. let dry are you're set to recaulk. a trick i learned from you tube...get some foaming window cleaner...must be non-amonium....
apply the silicone caulking, spray the foam cleaner on it, spray a bit of foam on your finger tip...and push/run your finger to smooth out the caulking.
otherwise, you will have silicone caulking all over the place and will not bad.

if you make a mistake...just clean it off with the goo gone & razor blade.

hope that helps
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11278 posts
1886 upvotes
sienna owner wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 11:12 am
removing/replacing all tiles is not an easy job (imo since you say you're a noob)
you will need to rip out all the densheild and replace it, then tile, then grout, then caulk

as for the "1 tile, you could take it out separately and replace it...would take less time, and cost a whole lot less than remodel. LOL
as for the faucet moving..do you have a picture of it now? is there a face plate? you might just need to remove the faucet and check to see if everything is "ok" behind the face plate.
as for re-caulking...use goo gone...it has a chemical..xylene (which you can't get concentrated if you're not a contractor....i tried), that will help you remove the existing silicone caulking. spray....and just use a damp cloth/non-scratch scotebrite to removed the old caulking. let dry are you're set to recaulk. a trick i learned from you tube...get some foaming window cleaner...must be non-amonium....
apply the silicone caulking, spray the foam cleaner on it, spray a bit of foam on your finger tip...and push/run your finger to smooth out the caulking.
otherwise, you will have silicone caulking all over the place and will not bad.

if you make a mistake...just clean it off with the goo gone & razor blade.

hope that helps
Honestly, I would be just happy with someone cutting along the grout line and securing all the pipes and putting back the same tiles. Like how a few years back when my Kitec plumbing was replaced. I'm worried that if the pipe isn't secured, it might lead to leaks in the future.

There is a circular face plate around the handle (removed in the pic). I have no idea how that is removed, but that's were the caulking is separated from the wall.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1336 posts
395 upvotes
Ottawa
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 9:02 am
So this morning I noticed the caulking that goes around the handle (that controls the water) lifted from the wall when I turned it off. When I turn it off, I twist the know and pull away a little. This is probably what caused the seal to break. When I don't touch it, it looks like it's flush to the wall.

I have never caulked before (consider me a noob), but it this something I can easily fix? Can I just remove the old caulk and apply a new layer?
The movement is completely normal. The caulk was what holding it.

The trick to caulking is to apply less than what you think you need. Have a cup of water and paper towel ready. Squeeze the caulk around the handle, dont worry about making it look perfect or even. Then wet your finger with the water and smooth the caulk in one smooth swipe (or two probably in this case unless you have really flexible arm :-) ). Clean your finger with the paper towel and re-wet your finger between swipes.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11278 posts
1886 upvotes
csi123 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 2:09 pm

The trick to caulking is to apply less than what you think you need. Have a cup of water and paper towel ready. Squeeze the caulk around the handle, dont worry about making it look perfect or even. Then wet your finger with the water and smooth the caulk in one smooth swipe (or two probably in this case unless you have really flexible arm :-) ). Clean your finger with the paper towel and re-wet your finger between swipes.
I'll take a video when I get home. You guys can be the judge if it's too loose or fine.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11278 posts
1886 upvotes
csi123 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 2:09 pm

Is this too much movement or is this fine? I've never had a shower knob move so much