Home & Garden

Replacing caulking around shower knob... to now possible bathroom remodeling

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 9:00 am
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
torontotim wrote: When did they do the kitec? They probably caused this problem when they did that.
2 years ago. They could have knocked something loose, but I didn't notice it until recently.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Thanks.

Ideally, I'm going to see if I can find someone that can replace the surround and anchor the pipe (and maybe replace the shower head), but do it really quickly. I only have 1 bathroom. Also my condo is renovating the change rooms (with a projected end date in November), so no other option other than driving somewhere to shower.

Or if that's going to take more than 2-3 days, then see if I can find someone to cut along the grout line and anchor the pipe and put the tiles back... just like how it was done when my Kitec plumbing was replaced. I got a feeling though, they probably need a bigger hole to anchor properly.
Doesn't need to be a big hole - 8 x 8 or even less depending on where the valve is relative to studs in the wall. Some metal strapping and a couple of screws and it's done.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2114 posts
1262 upvotes
sienna owner wrote: removing/replacing all tiles is not an easy job (imo since you say you're a noob)
you will need to rip out all the densheild and replace it, then tile, then grout, then caulk

as for the "1 tile, you could take it out separately and replace it...would take less time, and cost a whole lot less than remodel. LOL
as for the faucet moving..do you have a picture of it now? is there a face plate? you might just need to remove the faucet and check to see if everything is "ok" behind the face plate.
as for re-caulking...use goo gone...it has a chemical..xylene (which you can't get concentrated if you're not a contractor....i tried), that will help you remove the existing silicone caulking. spray....and just use a damp cloth/non-scratch scotebrite to removed the old caulking. let dry are you're set to recaulk. a trick i learned from you tube...get some foaming window cleaner...must be non-amonium....
apply the silicone caulking, spray the foam cleaner on it, spray a bit of foam on your finger tip...and push/run your finger to smooth out the caulking.
otherwise, you will have silicone caulking all over the place and will not bad.

if you make a mistake...just clean it off with the goo gone & razor blade.

hope that helps
Offtopic but you can get xylene at home hardware. I have a tin of it at home from there.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/378l-xyl ... /p/1620681