[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1022 posts
95 upvotes
Vaughan

Replacing a dead LG G3 with a Samsung J3

Hi everyone,

Need some opinions as I know nothing about this phone, but seems like a decent deal right now for a Samsung phone. Wife's LG G3 has water damage from humidity in Florida so I need a replacement and don't really want to spend over $200, less the better. Line is with Rogers and I plan to stay with them as i'm on a very cheap voice only plan.

1) Walmart has this the Samsung J3 with Koodo, $0 down, $240 on small tab, $150 Walmart giftcard when you sign up. I would sign up and then cancel right away and use this phone with Rogers. I already have a Koodo SIM which I may or may not be able to use to activate and save the $10. I activated and cancelled with this SIM when I did this same thing to get the G3 years ago. $240+tax=$271 - $150 GC = $121 (plus any usage Koodo charges me and charge for unlocking the device to work with Rogers)

2) Staples has the Samsung J3 unlocked (locks when you put a SIM into it) for $185+tax = $209 -> About $90 more than walmart but no headache.

-Thoughts on the device at this price point?
-Is my plan with Koodo doable and can this phone be unlocked easily?
-Would you pay $90 more and just get it from Staples? (I ask this question in RFD forum so I already know the answer)

Help is appreciated, thanks.
19 replies
Jan 11, 2017
20 posts
17 upvotes
Bad idea. You need to stay with Koodo for 90 days to keep the gift card so $30x3 months. 240+90=330+tax before the 150 gift card is in effect. Just go to Staples.

You will cry when you're on the hook paying 390 for that phone lmao
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1091 posts
59 upvotes
Kitchener
Look at reviews for the phone, I would avoid. Look into amazon.com Moto G5 Plus or Redmi Note 4. See hot deal threads on them.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3360 posts
549 upvotes
Brampton ON
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $40 10gb with F&F discount 2yrs Contract ZTE Grand X4
Virgin Mobile $47 4gb 2yrs Contract LG G6
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Aug 1, 2016
5 posts
2 upvotes
No do not go the Walmart route. It will cost you more than you bargained for. Best to get a phone unlocked from Staples or Costco or if there is a store where you live, Samsung themselves. As for the performance difference, one is a former flagship while the other is an entry level budget phone so there's that. Try looking at a Motorola E4. Motorola tends to made great entry level phones that punch above their weight class.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1147 posts
279 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
I've taken a few of these at The Mobile Shop on Koodo, only because I activate on QC numbers, then port in AB numbers, meaning I go on tab $168 instead of $240. YMMV, but try at Walmart or BestBuy and see if you can activate on a QC number. Certainly best to ride out the 90 days to keep the gift card. I turn around and sell the phones. Combining the QC tab discount with The Mobile Shop's generous points payouts, sometimes the carrier even pays me to take these phones. Got the unlock code for a J3 from Koodo for free yesterday.

Since you're coming from LG G3, I wouldn't recommend the J3. Even the LG X Power 2016 or 2017 are better than the J3.

If you play the game with Koodo on a 90 day run, go to The Mobile Shop, activate a Galaxy A5 2017 on cheapest plan, then change it to an AB number, then go on seasonal hold, then cancel on day 91. Be sure to do refer a friend. Your net cost for a Galaxy A5 would be ~$150-200 for a $400-500 phone. You can do the same with the LG Stylo 3 Plus, but I think the A5 is better. Also on day 1 or 2, insert Koodo sim in Galaxy A5, call customer service and negotiate a free unlock code. That's how it's done RFD style.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1022 posts
95 upvotes
Vaughan
Thank you all for the info. It looks like the J3 was a poor choice. I will look at the options you have all listed and see what works best for us (my wife). In particular the Moto G5 Plus intrigues me and I can hit a US Costco pretty easily (although likely not before Spet. 3rd.). Oh and I did not know that I would have had to stay with Koodo 90 days in order to keep the GC. How do they take it back from you? DO they just charge you an extra $150?

Much appreciated!
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1147 posts
279 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
d_source wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 11:00 am
Thank you all for the info. It looks like the J3 was a poor choice. I will look at the options you have all listed and see what works best for us (my wife). In particular the Moto G5 Plus intrigues me and I can hit a US Costco pretty easily (although likely not before Spet. 3rd.). Oh and I did not know that I would have had to stay with Koodo 90 days in order to keep the GC. How do they take it back from you? DO they just charge you an extra $150?

Much appreciated!
Yes, Koodo would invoice you the value of the gift card (in this case $150) on a final invoice. YMMV, some have reported to not be invoiced the clawback on gift cards, but it is in their agreement you sign when you take the device on a 2 yr tab. Also, the retailer would get a clawback on the activation if you cancel within 90 days. As I am a repeat (or chronic) customer at The Mobile Shop for phones, I'll make sure they don't get clawbacks, whether on Koodo or Virgin (although Virgin won't clawback the gift card). Koodo will also claw back any refer a friend credits.

Moto G5 Plus is great if you plan on unlocking the bootloader, rooting and/or installing a custom ROM. If that's not a priority (I know that custom ROM's are an option for LG G3's), then why not the Galaxy A5? Grind it down for net cost under $200 on a Koodo deal and still get a 1 yr warranty in Canada. I'm a Motorola user myself and wouldn't switch to anything else because I love the value for money on some of their phones (especially on Koodo) and the ability to install custom ROM's, but if that's not a requirement, the Galaxy A5 is a hit and everyone who has one seem to love it.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1022 posts
95 upvotes
Vaughan
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 11:25 am
Yes, Koodo would invoice you the value of the gift card (in this case $150) on a final invoice. YMMV, some have reported to not be invoiced the clawback on gift cards, but it is in their agreement you sign when you take the device on a 2 yr tab. Also, the retailer would get a clawback on the activation if you cancel within 90 days. As I am a repeat (or chronic) customer at The Mobile Shop for phones, I'll make sure they don't get clawbacks, whether on Koodo or Virgin (although Virgin won't clawback the gift card). Koodo will also claw back any refer a friend credits.

Moto G5 Plus is great if you plan on unlocking the bootloader, rooting and/or installing a custom ROM. If that's not a priority (I know that custom ROM's are an option for LG G3's), then why not the Galaxy A5? Grind it down for net cost under $200 on a Koodo deal and still get a 1 yr warranty in Canada. I'm a Motorola user myself and wouldn't switch to anything else because I love the value for money on some of their phones (especially on Koodo) and the ability to install custom ROM's, but if that's not a requirement, the Galaxy A5 is a hit and everyone who has one seem to love it.
The A5 was actually the phone I was inquiring about when I went to Walmart. How would I be able to get it to $200? Isn't it $120 up front, $240 on tab with a $175 Walmart GC? And then I would have to still pay for 3 months of Koodo usage, correct?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1147 posts
279 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
d_source wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:18 pm
The A5 was actually the phone I was inquiring about when I went to Walmart. How would I be able to get it to $200? Isn't it $120 up front, $240 on tab with a $175 Walmart GC? And then I would have to still pay for 3 months of Koodo usage, correct?
I think the A5 peaked at $250 in PC pts at The Mobile Shop. Assuming you're in ON or BC (adjust tax based on your province), you switch to an AB number post-activation, complete the refer a friend at $25 credit, get $250 in PC points, then go on seasonal hold one month in:
$10*1.13 (sim)
$40*1.05
$360*1.05
($15*2)*1.05
-$250
-$25
------------
$187.80 net (tax-in)

Getting $250 in PC points shouldn't be to hard to achieve given that back to school promo's are kicking in. Your cost will be lower if:
  • you go on seasonal hold sooner
  • You get $50 referral credit instead of $25
  • You get more than $250 in gift card incentives
If it's the phone you want, best to wait for gift cards to peak. Take it on a tab medium because you'll save in the end with the AB tax loophole (and base plan doesn't matter since you'll be going on seasonal hold) unless you're already in AB. I would wait for at least $250 in gift card incentives since it's that time of year (usually peaks around end of month). Walmart can work the same way as sometimes their gift cards can peak that high, but it's not as frequent as TMS.
Dec 25, 2012
9 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
In case repair is an option, I also have an issue with an LG G3 that is just over 2yrs old (past manuf. 1yr warranty) and I talked to LG Canada support earlier today and they have said they offer a flat fee of $149.99 (shipping, parts & labour) to repair the phone.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1147 posts
279 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
esprit wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 11:03 pm
In case repair is an option, I also have an issue with an LG G3 that is just over 2yrs old (past manuf. 1yr warranty) and I talked to LG Canada support earlier today and they have said they offer a flat fee of $149.99 (shipping, parts & labour) to repair the phone.
$150 to repair an LG G3 (a 2014 phone) today certainly is not worth it. I've seen LG G3's sell refurbished for less. Pay a bit more through Koodo promo's and get a 2017 Samsung or LG mid-range phone. Heck, your LG G3 can be used for a trade-in at Wow for $50-100 depending on their promo (towards a new Koodo phone balance or phone accessories).
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1022 posts
95 upvotes
Vaughan
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:50 pm

I think the A5 peaked at $250 in PC pts at The Mobile Shop. Assuming you're in ON or BC (adjust tax based on your province), you switch to an AB number post-activation, complete the refer a friend at $25 credit, get $250 in PC points, then go on seasonal hold one month in:
$10*1.13 (sim)
$40*1.05
$360*1.05
($15*2)*1.05
-$250
-$25
------------
$187.80 net (tax-in)

Getting $250 in PC points shouldn't be to hard to achieve given that back to school promo's are kicking in. Your cost will be lower if:
  • you go on seasonal hold sooner
  • You get $50 referral credit instead of $25
  • You get more than $250 in gift card incentives
If it's the phone you want, best to wait for gift cards to peak. Take it on a tab medium because you'll save in the end with the AB tax loophole (and base plan doesn't matter since you'll be going on seasonal hold) unless you're already in AB. I would wait for at least $250 in gift card incentives since it's that time of year (usually peaks around end of month). Walmart can work the same way as sometimes their gift cards can peak that high, but it's not as frequent as TMS.
Thanks for the explanation. I do recall seeing the RFD thread and trying to think what would/could I do with $250 PC points. I already have about $50 worth sitting there that I never spend since I don't care to shop at participating stores like Fortinos or No Frills. Is there anything else that can be done with these points?
esprit wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 11:03 pm
Thanks for the info. $150 is well beyond the price I am willing to pay to repair the old phone. If I could get a really cheap G3 and swap out the screens, that's really the only reason I would go back to the old phone at this point b/c of cost.
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 11:41 pm
$150 to repair an LG G3 (a 2014 phone) today certainly is not worth it. I've seen LG G3's sell refurbished for less. Pay a bit more through Koodo promo's and get a 2017 Samsung or LG mid-range phone. Heck, your LG G3 can be used for a trade-in at Wow for $50-100 depending on their promo (towards a new Koodo phone balance or phone accessories).
Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1147 posts
279 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
d_source wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 8:19 am
Thanks for the explanation. I do recall seeing the RFD thread and trying to think what would/could I do with $250 PC points. I already have about $50 worth sitting there that I never spend since I don't care to shop at participating stores like Fortinos or No Frills. Is there anything else that can be done with these points?
Buy something expensive at a PC chain grocery store (probably SuperStore or one of the other ones that happen to be that big), best option is probably electronics. Pay with as much PC points as possible, and pay the difference via debit. Next day, do a return, and they'll refund the entire amount to your debit card. It's the only loophole I know of to trade PC points for cash. Do it if it's a one-off, but if this gets exploited, I'm sure they'll close the loophole.

I do my groceries at PC brand grocery stores, so I don't mind redeeming the PC points for groceries.

Some cellphone repair shops should have some LG G3's for cheap, but I don't think you could hotswap the screens (that'd bring you back to square one with the repair option).
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1022 posts
95 upvotes
Vaughan
SomeGuyGG wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:46 pm
Look at reviews for the phone, I would avoid. Look into amazon.com Moto G5 Plus or Redmi Note 4. See hot deal threads on them.
Ended up buying the Moto G5 Plus from Amazon.com. $210USD all in delivered to my house in Ontario. Should arrive in about 3 weeks, but i'm not in any rush so that's OK.