• Jan 21st, 2011 10:32 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 31, 2003
190 posts
16 upvotes

Replacing knob and tube wiring

Does anyone know the approximate cost of replacing knob and tube wiring in the GTA. We are thinking of bidding on a house which has that so I need adjust my price to reflect the extra expense I will have to incur if we do buy it.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
1926 posts
92 upvotes
North York
$100,500.69

You need to give more information, what ever number we give you will be wrong because we have no idea how big/small/complex the job is.
Be careful shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart they repeatedly sell expired baby/food/health products.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6268 posts
60 upvotes
Etobicoke
If anyone can give you a price without seeing the house, then they're lying.

KnT wiring replacement depends on how much needs to be replaced and what needs to be replaced. You may even have to tear down walls to get to higher floors. It all depends on the house.

If the house has nothing but KnT wiring, you'll have problem getting insurance. And even if you do get insurance, it'll be $$$.

Also, if the house has KnT wiring and distribution panel that's never been updated, chances are, it may contain asbestos insulation & lead water pipes that the owners didn't bother to replace either. These are more dangerous than KnT wiring. Also, if the house is really old, check for mould damage and porous bricks/mortar or concrete in the foundation. All are huge problems. And if the house is in the beaches, check for termites.

The reason why I'm saying all these is that KnT wiring has been an issue for a while. If the owners never bothered to update the electrical panel and replace wires, chances are, there are lots of other things they didn't bother to replace either. KnT may be just the tip of the iceberg.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4111 posts
645 upvotes
Kitchener
to wire a new 2 story 2000square foot house cost about $4000 to $6000, so if you budget $7000 you should be covered
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5679 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
eelfliw wrote:
Feb 24th, 2007 8:45 pm
If anyone can give you a price without seeing the house, then they're lying.

KnT wiring replacement depends on how much needs to be replaced and what needs to be replaced. You may even have to tear down walls to get to higher floors. It all depends on the house.

If the house has nothing but KnT wiring, you'll have problem getting insurance. And even if you do get insurance, it'll be $$$.

Also, if the house has KnT wiring and distribution panel that's never been updated, chances are, it may contain asbestos insulation & lead water pipes that the owners didn't bother to replace either. These are more dangerous than KnT wiring. Also, if the house is really old, check for mould damage and porous bricks/mortar or concrete in the foundation. All are huge problems. And if the house is in the beaches, check for termites.

The reason why I'm saying all these is that KnT wiring has been an issue for a while. If the owners never bothered to update the electrical panel and replace wires, chances are, there are lots of other things they didn't bother to replace either. KnT may be just the tip of the iceberg.
Good points :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: . If the house still has old knob & tube wiring, who knows what else is so old in the house that will require some immediate attention!!!!!

sk
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
575 upvotes
1200 sq ft two floors plus a basement. Replace Knob and Tube, change fuses to breaker...10000-12000 for three different quotes...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4111 posts
645 upvotes
Kitchener
nalababe wrote:
Feb 25th, 2007 1:11 am
1200 sq ft two floors plus a basement. Replace Knob and Tube, change fuses to breaker...10000-12000 for three different quotes...
that's expensive, in the GTA?
[OP]
Dec 31, 2003
190 posts
16 upvotes
Thanks. Seems like $12k for worst case scenario for replacing. As for the water pipes and asbestos, that is usually stated in the home inspection report that is sometimes provided by the seller. I am finding that a lot of the houses I am looking at contain some sort of knob and tube so I was just looking at a ballpark figure.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
1633 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
jroc wrote:
Feb 25th, 2007 4:20 am
Thanks. Seems like $12k for worst case scenario for replacing. As for the water pipes and asbestos, that is usually stated in the home inspection report that is sometimes provided by the seller. I am finding that a lot of the houses I am looking at contain some sort of knob and tube so I was just looking at a ballpark figure.
Just make the home inspection a condition of sale. You should pick the inspector and the vendor should pick up the cost. If the sale fails to go through - the vendor keeps the report. That's the way I did it - but then again I'm one cheap SOB
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Drthorne wrote:
Feb 24th, 2007 10:57 pm
to wire a new 2 story 2000square foot house cost about $4000 to $6000, so if you budget $7000 you should be covered
Yes, that's for a new house, pre-drywall.

If you need to remove the existing stuff and replace it with proper Roomex, there will be a lot of time fishing wire behind walls, holes in walls, drywall removal, etc.. That will at least double the amount of time it takes to wire anything up.

The home owners should understand that KnT wiring is going to be a big problem when selling their house. Any one who purchases it will have a hard time getting insurance, or getting it at a reasonable rate.

If they want to sell it, they are going to have to put forth the money and effort to change it all before the sale.

You can't even buy a house something less than a 100A load panel anymore.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
575 upvotes
that's right...12k was for a house that was retrofitted. Given the age of the home (1940), there were many unexpected bracings etc that made the fishing quite difficult.

As for condition of sale...will depend on the area. In our neighbourhood, any conditions could remove you from consideration on the house...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
Just out of curiosity ... was that 12k and inspected?

The electrical code calls for wiring to be nailed something like within 12" of the box followed by every 3-6 ft afterwards, the spacing of plugs has also gone up dramatically in the last NN years requiring many more plugs ...

It isn't getting done to code unless you rip the drywall down to studs (walls, ceiling, remove exterior insulation, etc) then rewire the entire house from and including the panel .. then re drywall and paint.

Good luck on 12k
Jan 14, 2007
916 posts
69 upvotes
CheapScotsman wrote:
Feb 26th, 2007 5:25 am
Just out of curiosity ... was that 12k and inspected?

The electrical code calls for wiring to be nailed something like within 12" of the box followed by every 3-6 ft afterwards, the spacing of plugs has also gone up dramatically in the last NN years requiring many more plugs ...

It isn't getting done to code unless you rip the drywall down to studs (walls, ceiling, remove exterior insulation, etc) then rewire the entire house from and including the panel .. then re drywall and paint.

Good luck on 12k
I don't believe you need to fasten the cable to the studs if you use Romex cable- the type of cable that is covered with flexible aluminum. That is what I have seen electricians use for that type of installation.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4111 posts
645 upvotes
Kitchener
The code for having the wire secured 12" from the box does not apply to fished wiring in existing construction, it's a section in the Canadian Electrical Code

12-510 Running of Cable between Boxes and Fittings (see Appendix G)
(1)Where the cable is run between boxes and fittings, it shall be supported by straps or other devices locatedwithin 300 mm of every box or fitting and at intervals of not more than 1.5 m throughout the run.
(2)Cables run through holes in joists or studs shall be considered to be supported.
(3)Notwithstanding Subrules (1) and (2), where the cable is run as concealed wiring such that it is impracticable tosupport it, the cable shall be permitted to be fished and need not be supported between boxes and fittings.

12-520 Fished Cable Installation
Where the cable is used in concealed wiring and it is impracticable to provide the supports required by Rule 12-510,the cable shall be permitted to be fished.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
:arrowu: and :arrowu: :arrowu: Didn't think of the armoured cable route and its interesting to see that fishing is allowed in some circumstances. Wonder what they mean by "impractical" ... and again, I am wondering if anybody who has had fished cables done has had it inspected.
× < >