Real Estate

Replacing knob and tube wiring with tenants still there.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2018 7:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2415 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto

Replacing knob and tube wiring with tenants still there.

Has anyone had experience with this, landlord or tenant, and able to shed some light on the situation? I have a certified electrician ready to replace the old knob and tube wiring in a small apt building I own. It will be a messy dusty job for about 10 days per apartment. Anyone able to advise what my obligations are to my tenants? Work will only be done between 8am-5pm everyday, and cleaned up everyday. However there will be holes everywhere, and most tenant items will be pushed, and covered, into the centre of the room. Most tenants seem to be prepared to still live there, after I informed them. Or am I required to pay for alternative accommodation? And/or rent prorated? And what about the tenants with pets? Boarding? BTW, it's in Toronto, in case that's important. I am looking more for legal opinions of my obligations, rather than just personal opinions.
Last edited by beachlover on Sep 9th, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5029 posts
2206 upvotes
Thornhill
Because they're not getting the full benefit of the lease agreement, you might find yourself in a position of having to make up for that.

You should contact the landlord tenant board or whatever their new name is and ask about your options. They'll guide you.
beachlover wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 3:18 pm
Has anyone had experience with this, landlord or tenant, and able to shed some light on the situation? I have a certified electrician ready to replace the old knob and tube wiring in a small apt building I own. It will be a messy dusty job for about 10 days per apartment. Anyone able to advise what my obligations are to my tenants? Work will only be done between 8am-5pm everyday, and cleaned up everyday. However there will be holes everywhere, and most tenant items will be pushed, and covered, into the centre of the room. Most tenants seem to be prepared to still live there, after I informed them. Or am I required to pay for alternative accommodation? And/or rent prorated? And what about the tenants with pets? Boarding? BTW, it's in Toronto, in case that's important. I am looking more for legal opinions of my obligations, rather than just personal opinions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2415 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
licenced wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 7:33 pm
Because they're not getting the full benefit of the lease agreement, you might find yourself in a position of having to make up for that.

You should contact the landlord tenant board or whatever their new name is and ask about your options. They'll guide you.
I actually agree with your first point. And was hoping there was someone who actually went through this.

As to the second point, if only that was true. I can get no direction from them. All they seem to say is the tenant can file a tenant application, but that is after everything is "done" and over with. I am trying to not make mistakes "before" and "during".
Jun 2, 2012
109 posts
89 upvotes
NORTH YORK
We rented a condo for a bit where the board got the builder to replace all the copper water pipes in the building with the plastic ones because of potential pin hole leaks. This was a 20 plus stores building. So this took a while.

There was dust and holes everywhere. A couple inside the unit but mostly the hallways. The water would get shut off for hours at a time, usually with notice, sometimes without. We would actually always fill up the tub and some big pots just in case they shut off the water without notice and we had to get ready for work or wanted to make food or even wash our hands..

It was horrible.

Yet, since the proper notice for the whole project was provided there was nothing we could really do.

The inconvenience associated with your project seems less. Would the tenants have access to electricity at all times? At set hours? I think your electrician needs to clarify whether he will shut off power and at what times and to commit to a posted schedule and to never shutting it off overnight, which is the one situation I could see you needing to provide alternate accommodation/pay for tenants’ hotel.