• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 10:54 am
[OP]
Nov 21, 2015
275 posts
86 upvotes
Brampton, ON

Replacing licence plates on behalf of owner

I’m wondering if it’s possible to replace license plates on behalf of the owner of the vehicle. The car is actually under my moms name, and the plates are under my dads name. I was suggested to replace my license plates, but my parents are out of town and I’m not too sure if I’m allowed getting them replaced. The plates are actually personalized and I read it’ll take 6 months to have the plates replaced, so I’d be given plates by service Ontario to use till my new plates arrive. Now the thing is I have all the papers required (insurance, plate & ownership portion). I drive the car daily, not that it matters. I have the plates and I have a licence but since the plates are under my dads name I’m not sure if I could go in and have them replaced using my identification (of course it’s not possible to use my dads id). So, anyone have a clue?

Either way I’ll be heading to service Ontario to see what can be done, just wanted some input regarding this.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24927 posts
11219 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't know see why not.
Dealerships do it all the time for new buyers.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3388 posts
896 upvotes
markham
Patel151 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:16 pm
I’m wondering if it’s possible to replace license plates on behalf of the owner of the vehicle. The car is actually under my moms name, and the plates are under my dads name. I was suggested to replace my license plates, but my parents are out of town and I’m not too sure if I’m allowed getting them replaced. The plates are actually personalized and I read it’ll take 6 months to have the plates replaced, so I’d be given plates by service Ontario to use till my new plates arrive. Now the thing is I have all the papers required (insurance, plate & ownership portion). I drive the car daily, not that it matters. I have the plates and I have a licence but since the plates are under my dads name I’m not sure if I could go in and have them replaced using my identification (of course it’s not possible to use my dads id). So, anyone have a clue?

Either way I’ll be heading to service Ontario to see what can be done, just wanted some input regarding this.
you need a letter grant to permission to act on behalf of the proper owner ..from the owner..dated and signed
Nov 16, 2011
669 posts
411 upvotes
HAMILTON
Parents out of town..... why not wait till they return and do it properly, that is if they actually want it done or is it just your idea. Is there any real urgency or just a case of OCD..

I would be surprised if Service Ontario would let you do this without express written authorization from the 2 persons involved.

This whole thing sounds a touch convoluted...... plates on mother's car are personalized plates that are in the father's name.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2015
275 posts
86 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Went into service Ontario this morning and got it done. They had no issues. The lady at the counter said I just need to get the plate portion of the ownership signed when my parents get back. Probably just a case of OCD lol the plates were actually peeling around the name and one plate was really chipped and damaged so I thought might as well get them replaced if possible, even though I’ve seen worse on other peoples plates. I was actually not required any paperwork, just gave them the ownership and the plates, got temp plates (custom plates take 6-8 weeks to arrive).