• Jan 27th, 2016 12:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 4, 2009
2 posts

Replacing Mazda 5 (2012) key

Hi,

Unfortunately I have managed to loose part of my Mazda 5 (2012) key, the part with the key blade that flips open. I still have the other half with all of the buttons that opens and locks the car, and I also have a complete second key.

What is the cheapest way I can replace the half that is missing? I can buy the half off of ebay or amazon, but is it a case of just going down to a locksmith and getting the key cut the same as the other one? Sorry bit clueless about this.

Thanks in advance,
A
5 replies
May 18, 2008
743 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't the Mazda 5 key just a switchblade? If so the locksmith might possibly have a blank key and just have to put in the spring
Nov 20, 2004
351 posts
344 upvotes
Vancouver
You should be able to just get the missing key portion (key + plastic portion that it's anchored to) from eBay and get it recut at any locksmith. AFAIK, the upper clip portion (with key) isn't coded so you can just swap it out.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2442 posts
396 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
flameboy54 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 11:14 am
You should be able to just get the missing key portion (key + plastic portion that it's anchored to) from eBay and get it recut at any locksmith. AFAIK, the upper clip portion (with key) isn't coded so you can just swap it out.
This is correct. The immobilizer chip is inside the plastic housing that the blade flips into. Just buy the metal part for about $3 and get it cut. Then its as simple as popping open the housing and swapping the blade out.

I would say the hardest part would be to find someone that can cut the key for you. Most places like CT, Home depot wont touch keys that they dont sell themselves. Mazda dealer will do it for you though.
Nov 20, 2004
351 posts
344 upvotes
Vancouver
bargain man wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 11:44 am

I would say the hardest part would be to find someone that can cut the key for you. Most places like CT, Home depot wont touch keys that they dont sell themselves. Mazda dealer will do it for you though.
I got mine cut at a local locksmith using the trace method. They do add the disclaimer that they can't guarantee their work though since it's not one of their keys. Mine works fine but inserting and removing from the ignition isn't as smooth as the stock key. No big deal since it's my 3rd backup key anyways.

Another option is to cut from the key code (the small 4 digit metal tab that should have came with your keys). That'll guarantee a perfect cut but is more expensive to cut.
Mar 4, 2006
441 posts
112 upvotes
I have a blank switch blade key but I don't know if it will fit your 2012.. I was trying to change the case of my 2006 Mazda 5 a couple of years ago. I ended up just change the plastic buttons portion and reused my original key.

Here are some pictures. If it will work for you, you can have it. If not, the best place to look for this is Aliexpress or Ebay.