None
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2008
1258 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto

Replacing Nitrogen with Air in tires?

Hi folks,

I got 4 nitrogen filled winter rites with my used car purchase. Now that it is time to put them on, most garages don't have a nitrogen supply. So I am thinking about what is the best and what is the easiest way to replace nitrogen with air in winter tires? Can I mix air into nitrogen in the tires?

Unless someone can recommend cheap nitrogen fill up in west GTA?

Thanks.
24 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24552 posts
2328 upvotes
Ottawa
Thing is, nitrogen was THE thing to do a while back.
Purists will still tell you that nitrogen molecules are bigger and won't leak out of the pores in the rubber (yea right LOL). They will also tell you nitrogen is dry and it will make your tires last longer.
Realists will tell you just plain air which is 90%nitrogen anyway has been used in pneumatic tires since day one and tires all survived the attempted rot from plain air. That and how long do you really think the tires should last? I would think the tread would wear off long before the rubber rots. :)
Apr 5, 2007
549 posts
32 upvotes
Whitby
You can add air to them no problem.
The whole nitrogen thing is BS.
Even if smaller molecules leaked out more quickly than the bigger N2.. guess what.. by the time you refill it a few times you're going to have 99% nitrogen..
Standard air: 78% N2
All other molecules leak out? 100% N2, but 78% full.
Fill it up again, adding 22% * 78% = 17.16 + 78 = 95% N2
If the remaining 5% were to leak out, top up 95% making it 98.9 % N2

see where I'm going with this? :p

Of course I assumed no N2 leaked out during each stage (for simplicity of calculation/illustration), but if N2 did it would just take a couple more top-ups to make it nearly all N2.

Bottom line is that if you had a tire filled with N2 already and top up say, 5%
It's still going to be 98.9% N2 inside.
Mar 27, 2009
513 posts
55 upvotes
add with regular air. dont use nitrogen anymore.. it was a farce to get you to pay more money to fill your tires..
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10903 posts
1322 upvotes
Nitrogen makes a difference in big truck fleets where tires get retreaded/ reused 3 or 4 times. If a truck tire carcass can be retreaded an extra 1 or 2 times because its in better shape due to nitrogen fill, that's a big cost savings.

Whether it's a benefit for passenger car tires is debatable
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2248 posts
260 upvotes
What's the point? How are you going to get 100% nitrogen in the tire anyways?
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1637 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Anonymouse wrote:
Nov 1st, 2010 6:15 pm
I heard that you don't want Nitrogen in your tires because it's very poisonous and you might breathe some in when you're putting the air hose on the valve and some escapes. I try to only inhale the Oxygen in the atmosphere; you can separate it from the poisonous Nitrogen if you swish the air around in your mouth a while.

Your body cannot selectively inhale Oxygen from atmosphere. You breathe in the air that contains 80% nitrogen all the time. What makes nitrogen poisonous?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2291 posts
162 upvotes
Alberta
Anonymouse wrote:
I heard that you don't want Nitrogen in your tires because it's very poisonous and you might breathe some in when you're putting the air hose on the valve and some escapes. I try to only inhale the Oxygen in the atmosphere; you can separate it from the poisonous Nitrogen if you swish the air around in your mouth a while.

This guy is nuts! What the hell is he talking about breathing only the oxygen in the air? It's more like what was he smoking before he wrote this.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1215 posts
178 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
LOL, I dare you breathe pure oxygen for more than 20 minutes.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2358 posts
173 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:

I can't believe a few fell for it...
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1015 posts
123 upvotes
Burlington
Nitrogen is for suckers. Helium is where it's at now.

You fill your tires with helium and it reduces unsprung weight to give your car better handling and it increases fuel economy too! :)
Mar 20, 2010
22 posts
2 upvotes
London
I'm not saying I believe this but...
if you start topping up your nitrogen filled tires with normal air, there will be unequal amounts of nitrogen on each side of the car. And since normal air heats/expands more than pure nitrogen, your vehicle will pull towards one side especially if they are the front tires used for steering.

I love the helium idea :)
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13075 posts
1033 upvotes
Montreal
Pffft.... real men use Radon in their tires.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24552 posts
2328 upvotes
Ottawa
conix67 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2010 7:35 pm
Your body cannot selectively inhale Oxygen from atmosphere. You breathe in the air that contains 80% nitrogen all the time. What makes nitrogen poisonous?
Double :facepalm:
rackets wrote:
Nov 1st, 2010 10:54 pm
I'm not saying I believe this but...
if you start topping up your nitrogen filled tires with normal air, there will be unequal amounts of nitrogen on each side of the car. And since normal air heats/expands more than pure nitrogen, your vehicle will pull towards one side especially if they are the front tires used for steering.
.. :)
Finally, someone who got it right :)
Anonymouse wrote:
You win the prize, excellent!
I also try not to suck Nitrogen when working on cars. ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2104 posts
102 upvotes
Regina
The Nitrogen is a gimmick. But for those of us that bought our tires from Costco we got it for free. I say why not.
× < >