Replacing roof in detached home

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2017 9:31 pm
[OP]
Apr 27, 2015
152 posts
26 upvotes

Replacing roof in detached home

I need to replace roof in our house. Can anybody recommend some resonably priced roofing contractors in GTA? Did research in homestars.com and found about 15-20 contractors with pretty good reviews...
43 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1365 posts
244 upvotes
I was in the market last week and doing the same research. After meeting several contractors here is the summary in nutshell

1. Alpine Roofing - Good reviews on the company and got fast response however they install only IKO or CRC . Opted out

2. Cherry & Clark - One of the most detailed quotes. Person showed up with binder full of information and insurance records . Quote was much higher than most companies. Could not justify the big difference in cost.

3. Midway - Never called back

4. Several chinese companies showed up even without invitation. Communication was the big barrier and apparently they understand matters well that are in their benefit . All of a sudden English stands good. ( no pun or disrespect to anyone intended )

5. Arcamm roofing - Came highly receommended through friend. I did some research and found ONLY positive reviews all over. Sorry but it dint raised any alarms. Person was very responsive and his quote was very much much in line with other contractors. He offered BP with a quote . My mind was set on GAF and Certainteed . I negotiated Certianteed for the same price as BP and have already 50% roofing job done . So far so good.

Edit : Typo in company name corrected
Last edited by newlyborn on Apr 10th, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18923 posts
4128 upvotes
Toronto
Please do update this when the job is totally completed. Like to hear your good and perhaps not so good of the contractor. I am assuming the job is not sub-contracted out by the orig roofer to another.

newlyborn wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 2:45 pm
I was in the market last week and doing the same research. After meeting several contractors here is the summary in nutshell

1. Alpine Roofing - Good reviews on the company and got fast response however they install only IKO or CRC . Opted out

2. Cherry & Clark - One of the most detailed quotes. Person showed up with binder full of information and insurance records . Quote was much higher than most companies. Could not justify the big difference in cost.

3. Midway - Never called back

4. Several chinese companies showed up even without invitation. Communication was the big barrier and apparently they understand matters well that are in their benefit . All of a sudden English stands good. ( no pun or disrespect to anyone intended )

5. Arkamm roofing - Came highly receommended through friend. I did some research and found ONLY positive reviews all over. Sorry but it dint raised any alarms. Person was very responsive and his quote was very much much in line with other contractors. He offered BP with a quote . My mind was set on GAF and Certainteed . I negotiated Certianteed for the same price as BP and have already 50% roofing job done . So far so good.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2015
152 posts
26 upvotes

5. Arkamm roofing - Came highly receommended through friend. I did some research and found ONLY positive reviews all over. Sorry but it dint raised any alarms. Person was very responsive and his quote was very much much in line with other contractors. He offered BP with a quote . My mind was set on GAF and Certainteed . I negotiated Certianteed for the same price as BP and have already 50% roofing job done . So far so good.
4. Agree regarding Chinese companie... looks like they mostly have illegal workers who doesn't speak work in English.... talk with boss and he gave me quaote that almost 50% less than Canadian companies. Too risky ...
5. Do you spell those companies correct?! Cannot find any on homestars.com :(

From my previous communications with roofing companies, I'm considering All-Can Services and Gitano roofing ... Next week gonna ask quotes from some other companies...
btw, We live in Mississauga
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1306 posts
727 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I did the roof of my house some 1.5y to 2y ago... cant remember the name of the company but it was a chinese company a friend of mine had used before and was happy. guys showed up on time, did the house n 1 day, and I paid them $3800.00. It was for my 2000 sf bungalow in Vaughan.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
FSCO # 10428 - Mortgage Intelligence
BTW = I'm the former "Laptop-tech" member here. Just changed the username.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18923 posts
4128 upvotes
Toronto
potential problem with those guy that gives receipt or no receipt, they operate by cell phone and when your roof was done, they are likely done with you as well, meaning, warranty would be difficult to be honored and trying to get those guys to come back and fix/repair the issues may be impossible.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1365 posts
244 upvotes
That exactly was my main concern to go with Chinese companies.

http://www.arcammroofing.com/..

Here are the Homestar reviews ( which were not at all any importance to me anyways )

https://homestars.com/companies/2763515 ... avestrough
booblehead wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 3:42 pm
potential problem with those guy that gives receipt or no receipt, they operate by cell phone and when your roof was done, they are likely done with you as well, meaning, warranty would be difficult to be honored and trying to get those guys to come back and fix/repair the issues may be impossible.
Nov 17, 2012
801 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
I used Professional Roofers a number of years ago for my shingles / flat roof replacement.

I had to keep a close eye (I specified and paid for full ice/water shield under all the shingles, not just valleys and edges) and the team that showed up hadn't planned on putting it down. Had I not been watching, they wouldn't have done it and of course I'd never know.

But that goes for EVERYTHING you pay someone else to do to your home - understand it in detail first and make sure they do it the way they're supposed to.

Overall a very good experience, and I've called them back a couple of times for minor repairs since then - they show up, do what is needed and leave and I've never paid a penny more.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1365 posts
244 upvotes
I could agree more but Keeping an eye on roofers is the most tough part especially if its a two storey house. I am afraid of climbing ladders and under no circumstances I have balls to go on roof.
Hence used all my efforts to select the contractor I could trust .. Rest I leave up to God atleast in this particular case.
torontotim wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 11:17 am
I used Professional Roofers a number of years ago for my shingles / flat roof replacement.

I had to keep a close eye (I specified and paid for full ice/water shield under all the shingles, not just valleys and edges) and the team that showed up hadn't planned on putting it down. Had I not been watching, they wouldn't have done it and of course I'd never know.

But that goes for EVERYTHING you pay someone else to do to your home - understand it in detail first and make sure they do it the way they're supposed to.

Overall a very good experience, and I've called them back a couple of times for minor repairs since then - they show up, do what is needed and leave and I've never paid a penny more.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2677 posts
448 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I read this in every roofing thread and it hasn't been said here.

Hire a company that has their own proper insurance.
Without workmans' compensation insurance, the homeowner may be responsible for medical bills and other costs associated with an injury of a worker. Your homeowners' insurance may not cover these types of accidents, so you will be personally responsible for the costs.
Jan 8, 2009
999 posts
148 upvotes
Brampton
just out of curiosity...how much does it cost to replace the complete roof of an average detached house
[OP]
Apr 27, 2015
152 posts
26 upvotes
dealerguy wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 5:10 pm
just out of curiosity...how much does it cost to replace the complete roof of an average detached house
I assume 6-7K, but not sure
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2638 posts
477 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Have 4 bedroom detached homes [not huge homes] in our neighbourhood and from talking to folks in our area they have paid anywhere from 4k to 12k.

Development is about 13 years old and has the IKO problematic shingles so some houses started replacing shingles couple of years ago while other houses have original shingles and look to be in good shape.

As mentioned, ensure roofer has insurance. Look at some of their references and ask them if they would do anything different. AND if can watch their work throughout day... not every minute but as they remove old shingles, ensure underlayment and valleys correctly done and new shingles properly put on. Plus the vents and stacks.

Price differences seem to be due to company and warranty, shingles brand, underlayment. From getting several estimates myself I would say that the last two would equate to 1k difference at most.

Very true that have some companies [Kent, Professional, Cherry, Gitano] that have been around for many years so will generally pay more. Just ensure they do not subcontract out to a less then professional crew. Other companies just operate by phone and word of mouth so pay less but really no warranty. In our neighbourhood mix of both and would say 65%/35% ratio of smaller roofers to larger companies [like named above].

Time will tell which roofers did proper work.

It's a separate discussion but ensure attic well insulated to get benefit of new shingles. This plus location vis a vis sunlight, shingles colour, vents [least important] will determine how well roof does. And yes the mention of vents was put last as it is not a very scientific way that majority of roofs are done when it comes to number/type of vents. More like a comfortable rule of thumb.

Would suggest to definitely pay few hundred more for proper ice and shield at least on perimeters and valleys. Preferably closed metal valley.
Aug 4, 2006
306 posts
89 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
Then again ... If there is a problem, the roofers point to the manufacturer who in turn point back to them. And to add more insult .... many manufacturers pro rate the warranty on the shingles and give you back more of the same shingles as replacements. Unless the install is really wrong ... you won't see the problems until many years down the road.

You just take your chances and hope it all works out.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1568 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
i have nobody to recommend...but do NOT use chislett roofing