• May 4th, 2017 9:31 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14049 posts
2326 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 10:23 am
Have 4 bedroom detached homes [not huge homes] in our neighbourhood and from talking to folks in our area they have paid anywhere from 4k to 12k.

Development is about 13 years old and has the IKO problematic shingles so some houses started replacing shingles couple of years ago while other houses have original shingles and look to be in good shape.

As mentioned, ensure roofer has insurance. Look at some of their references and ask them if they would do anything different. AND if can watch their work throughout day... not every minute but as they remove old shingles, ensure underlayment and valleys correctly done and new shingles properly put on. Plus the vents and stacks.

Price differences seem to be due to company and warranty, shingles brand, underlayment. From getting several estimates myself I would say that the last two would equate to 1k difference at most.

Very true that have some companies [Kent, Professional, Cherry, Gitano] that have been around for many years so will generally pay more. Just ensure they do not subcontract out to a less then professional crew. Other companies just operate by phone and word of mouth so pay less but really no warranty. In our neighbourhood mix of both and would say 65%/35% ratio of smaller roofers to larger companies [like named above].

Time will tell which roofers did proper work.

It's a separate discussion but ensure attic well insulated to get benefit of new shingles. This plus location vis a vis sunlight, shingles colour, vents [least important] will determine how well roof does. And yes the mention of vents was put last as it is not a very scientific way that majority of roofs are done when it comes to number/type of vents. More like a comfortable rule of thumb.

Would suggest to definitely pay few hundred more for proper ice and shield at least on perimeters and valleys. Preferably closed metal valley.
Gitano was actually the cheapest quote by far for me. The work team seemed very good and professional but the sales quote guy was not very professional. He was disorganized and kept on insisting I go with IKO, to the point where he claimed stuff like Certainteed was poor quality in comparison. Finally I just said I wasn't interested and would only work with them if they installed Certainteed, just because.

Ironically, I had originally chosen Top Roofers over Gitano despite Top Roofers had the more expensive quote, because I felt the owner was very professional. However, when the install date came and the roofers arrived, they mutinied and refused to do the roof because they said it was too complicated. So the owner had no choice but to cancel the job even though he himself had no issues with the complexity of the job because he couldn't do it himself.

BTW, Gitano's crew had no problem with the job. They said it was more complex than average but less complex than many they'd done before. It did take them several days to complete the job though. (It was a large roof with lots of peaks and valleys.)

I also asked Fred The Roofer for a quote but the owner just flat out refused to do the roof. He was honest and said that as he has gotten older he has started refusing jobs that aren't really easy. He has enough word of mouth to continue working full time with easy jobs. Fair enough. He's a small outfit composed of just himself and one other worker. For my roof, Gitano sent many more people and a crane too to move the material onto my roof. Fred The Roofer did refer me to another company that company had a really high quote.

I had also dealt with Dubbins Discount Roofing before for a different job but I was not so impresssed with them.
Mar 27, 2015
695 posts
164 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Keating Roofing, Mississauga - we used them, so did my parents. Recommended by the maintenance guy at my husband's work. They did a great job and were very professional. We'd use them again.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2015
150 posts
26 upvotes
Started to get quotes and was wondering what shingles are better: GAF Timberline HD or BP Mystique?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18644 posts
3975 upvotes
Toronto
GAF timberline is preferred (based on this forum's feedbacks)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2687 posts
700 upvotes
Paris
booblehead wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:16 pm
GAF timberline is preferred (based on this forum's feedbacks)
I bought into the full GAF thing, including the fancy underlay for my house. I used Iko on a shed and GAF on another shed, no comparison as far as I am concerned. Almost returned the Iko mid job.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Oct 25, 2015
87 posts
59 upvotes
Guelph, Ontario
I just had my roof installed and did quite a lot of research on Shingles.

A lot of companies will push GAF, Owens Corning, IKO, and Certainteed.

IKO has a class action against them right now so i stayed away from them. Based on all the reviews that i read, the Certainteed Landmark was the best shingle within that architect shingle class. They were supposed to have the best granule retention which, in turn, would mean that your roof could last longer. It cost me a bit more to go with Certainteed Landmark and the Certainteed Shadowridge for the ridges, but i have peace of mind knowing that i selected the best materials (based on my research) within that price class.

I would highly recommend the Certainteed Landmark.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39087 posts
1322 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Has anyone actually had experience with getting warranty honoured, whether by a cheap or expensive installer? I've done some reading and it seems like, for one, the manufacturer will only warranty the shingles if they were installed properly, and almost nobody installs shingles to manufacturer spec. Secondly, the warranty on the labour is honoured completely by the installer, who are mostly smaller companies owned by a team of people who may not be in business 10-20 years down the road, or have re-incorporated as a different company.

It seems to me that, similar to other trades, it's more important to keep good relationships with a certain person rather than find a certain company to do your roof for you. Any thoughts?
**BRAND NEW** APC Back-UPS 650VA 7 Outlet $65
**Reg $90+tax**

Silver Coins | APC Back-UPS 650VA | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Oct 25, 2015
87 posts
59 upvotes
Guelph, Ontario
From what I read when i was doing research on shingles is that warranty for shingles is very hard to have honoured.

IF the shingles are properly installed with correct spec nails, underlayment, valleys, ridges, etc. they will pay out on a pro-rated basis.

so, if you're getting a 25 year warranty on the shingle, and in 15 years they start to fly off, you might only get 5% - 10% of your original cost back. And that's after extensive fighting and proof of the correct installations.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14049 posts
2326 upvotes
Toronto
bhogala wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:32 am
I just had my roof installed and did quite a lot of research on Shingles.

A lot of companies will push GAF, Owens Corning, IKO, and Certainteed.

IKO has a class action against them right now so i stayed away from them. Based on all the reviews that i read, the Certainteed Landmark was the best shingle within that architect shingle class. They were supposed to have the best granule retention which, in turn, would mean that your roof could last longer. It cost me a bit more to go with Certainteed Landmark and the Certainteed Shadowridge for the ridges, but i have peace of mind knowing that i selected the best materials (based on my research) within that price class.

I would highly recommend the Certainteed Landmark.
Based on what research? I got Certainteed Landmark too, but I'm curious. I just chose them because one roofer who was giving me a quote said he thought the Landmark was better than IKO, for extra cost, but was happy to install either. In the end this roofer was not able to do my roof for other reasons, but I went with Certainteed Landmark with another company.

However, as mentioned, I'm guessing that IKO has some sweet incentive deals for some roofing companies, because some of their sales guys push IKO way, way too hard, even though those same companies charge more for Certainteed (or GAF, etc.).
Jerico wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:59 am
I bought into the full GAF thing, including the fancy underlay for my house. I used Iko on a shed and GAF on another shed, no comparison as far as I am concerned. Almost returned the Iko mid job.
So, what whas wrong with the IKO? Please elaborate.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13984 posts
4501 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:51 am
Has anyone actually had experience with getting warranty honoured, whether by a cheap or expensive installer? I've done some reading and it seems like, for one, the manufacturer will only warranty the shingles if they were installed properly, and almost nobody installs shingles to manufacturer spec. Secondly, the warranty on the labour is honoured completely by the installer, who are mostly smaller companies owned by a team of people who may not be in business 10-20 years down the road, or have re-incorporated as a different company.

It seems to me that, similar to other trades, it's more important to keep good relationships with a certain person rather than find a certain company to do your roof for you. Any thoughts?
If you go with the appropriately certified installer, you can get the GAF Golden Pledge warranty which covers against defects in workmanship for 25 years.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2653 posts
366 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I have Certainteed Landmark. It looks way nicer than any neighbors that have IKO. Worth whatever more it costs just on appearances I think. IKO just looks like cheapo, even when brand new.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2687 posts
700 upvotes
Paris
EugW wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:40 am
So, what whas wrong with the IKO? Please elaborate.
Shingles were thinner. Fibreglass strands all over the place (providing for some AWESOME fibreglass splinters). The bonding system didn't seem to work as well (weather was hot as heck for both). The GAF shingles are also cut on a slight angle vs the IKO and they look nicer. That angle also made it easier to match up the patterns (personal opinion there)
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jul 20, 2010
32 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Just curious, do most installers remove the current shingles or do they lay it over? Is there a drawback or benefit other than cost savings? Should I be concerned if a company recommends laying it over the existing shingles?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14049 posts
2326 upvotes
Toronto
mastermixer wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:15 pm
Just curious, do most installers remove the current shingles or do they lay it over? Is there a drawback or benefit other than cost savings? Should I be concerned if a company recommends laying it over the existing shingles?
I'm no expert, but it just seems like a bad idea to shingle over. If you don't remove the old shingles, you have no idea what's going on underneath. What if there was a hidden leak and the wood was starting to rot? You've just put a band-aid over it and not fixed it.

FWIW, all three companies who gave me a quote included removing the old shingles. Not a single one even gave me the option of keeping the old shingles there. Removing the old shingles was a mandatory step for their quotes.
Mar 23, 2006
728 posts
119 upvotes
mastermixer wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:15 pm
from research/experience, there is no official right or wrong.
From my research/experience this is what I observed.
PRO:
leaving old layer may add extra protection and insulation of roof
cheaper cost if you can work it in the pricing (removal of the old shingles may not be easy, labour and time, bin).
CON:
heavier which is not good for load on roof
if the old shingles are curling up already, it may start pushing up on the new shingles which is something you don't want.
if you don't take out the old shingles its hard to tell/see if there is damaged wood that needs to be replaced.

I have seen people do both methods with good results.