• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2018 3:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Replacing vent stack gasket

I was on my roof the other day and happened to notice a gasket around the vent stack was very dried out and had a crack in it. I am concerned it is going to leak sooner or later and want to replace it. I was at both Home Depot and Lowe's today and could not find what I needed though. They both had the bracket that goes around it but required you to pull up the shingles to install it. I was hoping to avoid doing that. Is it possible to replace just the gasket? Where else could or should I look?

The crack is not visible in the photo I am sharing (it's at the backside) but this was the only photo I took while up there to remind me it was 3" pipe.
Images
  • o5s%mgPTRgCVGiZWDeupUA.jpg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
Try looking up spar-marathon roofing supplies, if anyone would have it, they would.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks. Turns out there is one not too far from me so I have just sent them an email.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
https://www.amazon.ca/PermaBoot-5531-3- ... B0047WL9SE

That's a boot that slides over the failed gasket. You could just use bitumous caulking, basically a thick roof tar in a tube that you apply over the cracked gasket. Did that on my dad's cottage and its held up, I have a look every summer.