• Jan 25th, 2019 8:21 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6834 posts
2562 upvotes
Calgary

Reply with multiple quotes messed up

I was trying to reply to multiple people with their quotes but I couldn't post a reply directly under their quotes. Is this the new normal now or it's a problem that needs to be fixed?
11 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12099 posts
22404 upvotes
Scarborough
It works but depending on the post you're quoting it might have additional nested quotes within it. If that's the case you'll need to make sure you enter your text below the last [/quote] of that post and not somewhere in the middle.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6834 posts
2562 upvotes
Calgary
TomRFD wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:05 pm
It works but depending on the post you're quoting it might have additional nested quotes within it. If that's the case you'll need to make sure you enter your text below the last
of that post and not somewhere in the middle.
[/quote]

If I place all my replies below the last [/quote] they won't show up under each individual quote instead they bundle together in the end of my post. So that's how it supposed to work now? And why did part of your quote become part of my reply?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11674 posts
2690 upvotes
Montréal
It's a whole mess: why should it have nested quotes if they aren't even going to show up? It just convolutes things.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12099 posts
22404 upvotes
Scarborough
althetrainer wrote: If I place all my replies below the last
they won't show up under each individual quote instead they bundle together in the end of my post. So that's how it supposed to work now? And why did part of your quote become part of my reply?[/quote]
The last [/quote] for the post you've multi quoted. It helps to expand your reply box (drag and drop the bottom right corner) to see where to insert your comments.
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:30 pm
It's a whole mess: why should it have nested quotes if they aren't even going to show up? It just convolutes things.
I believe it was so that you could better see what you're replying to (it's a PHPBB default) but I agree, it can cause problems. I don't know if it's an easy thing or not to change back to the old style but I am going to see if it's possible.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6834 posts
2562 upvotes
Calgary
tranquility922 wrote:
Agree. One would think an update should make things better, not worse.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6834 posts
2562 upvotes
Calgary
tranquility922 wrote:It's a whole mess: why should it have nested quotes if they aren't even going to show up? It just convolutes things.
TomRFD wrote:
althetrainer wrote: If I place all my replies below the last
they won't show up under each individual quote instead they bundle together in the end of my post. So that's how it supposed to work now? And why did part of your quote become part of my reply?
The last [/quote] for the post you've multi quoted. It helps to expand your reply box (drag and drop the bottom right corner) to see where to insert your comments.
tranquility922 wrote:
I believe it was so that you could better see what you're replying to (it's a PHPBB default) but I agree, it can cause problems. I don't know if it's an easy thing or not to change back to the old style but I am going to see if it's possible.[/quote]

I agree.

I am multi quoting now and making replies to both quotes. How on earth can you tell which one of you my "I agree" reply is directed to? And look at how messy this whole thing is!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11674 posts
2690 upvotes
Montréal
TomRFD wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:44 pm
I believe it was so that you could better see what you're replying to (it's a PHPBB default) but I agree, it can cause problems. I don't know if it's an easy thing or not to change back to the old style but I am going to see if it's possible.
The intent is admirable but the execution is quite flawed; besides I'm sure ppl knew what they were responding to...it used to be so easy to multi-quote but now I dunno what is where.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3391 upvotes
The quoting system is definitely worse now than before. I hope it gets changed to how it once was. It's time consuming and difficult now
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1470 posts
527 upvotes
G0DKING wrote:
Sep 15th, 2016 12:56 am
Not only that, but if you click the post of someone that's been quoted (the little arrow next to the quoted person's username), it takes you to the very first post of the thread, not to the post of that quote, as it should
Okay, this has been promptly fixed (thank you), but a related bug still exists: In your Notifications, when you get a notification of an upvote or downvote and click it, it'll again take you to the very first post of the thread, not to the post of yours that was upvoted/downvoted, as it should
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
althetrainer wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:45 pm

Agree. One would think an update should make things better, not worse.
test
althetrainer wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:57 pm
test

The last
for the post you've multi quoted. It helps to expand your reply box (drag and drop the bottom right corner) to see where to insert your comments.
test
tranquility922 wrote:
I believe it was so that you could better see what you're replying to (it's a PHPBB default) but I agree, it can cause problems. I don't know if it's an easy thing or not to change back to the old style but I am going to see if it's possible.[/quote]

I agree.

I am multi quoting now and making replies to both quotes. How on earth can you tell which one of you my "I agree" reply is directed to? And look at how messy this whole thing is![/quote]
test
G0DKING wrote:
Sep 15th, 2016 12:56 am
Not only that, but if you click the post of someone that's been quoted (the little arrow next to the quoted person's username), it takes you to the very first post of the thread, not to the post of that quote, as it should
test

OK., so I just tested this on computer. IE11. The only thing I typed was 'test' in various locations. You can see how it resulted.

In the Android App., MQ still is messed up :(.

Feels like it anyway, maybe I was just distracted and wasn't paying attention to where I was replying, but it seemed to have nested my replies inside the multiquotes in no decipherable manner. I tried again, this time - manually deleting the nested redundant self-quotes & it posted fine.

Help?
PayTM - $80
PC OPT: $4274 Ebates: $63.50
100%+ BST & Heatware Est. 2005
Kijiji & FB Marketplace trash are what put a smile on my face each day