Home & Garden

Repooc's Dedicated Home Theater Build

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2018 12:10 am
Feb 25, 2004
465 posts
91 upvotes
Longueuil
Yes I have a D-BOX system at home. My basement home theater is not done yet so right now I only have a single chair in my living room. You buy the HEMC controller and then you pay your subscription to get all the Motion Codes ($250 per year). It is subscription based like Netflix so you have access to everything as long as you have a valid a subscription.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3538 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
webdoctors wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 1:12 am
I recently switched from 5.2.4 to 7.2.4 speaker layout and didn't notice a difference due to my room being quite small, about 16x18 ft, online they say you don't really need to go 7.1 unless your room is bigger than 350 sq ft, so I'm curious how what factored into your 7.2.4 decision (since it requires moving up to a much more expensive receiver ):

https://www.themasterswitch.com/51-vs-7 ... -explained
My dedicated room is actually smaller than yours; just over 10'x18'

But again, working with 2 rows i wanted to make sure that all seats experienced great sound.

Its a one time expense to get the AV receiver. I'd rather build the capacity into my room and upgrade/add speakers over time than to only build to a lesser standard and always wonder "shoulda, woulda, coulda"

Even just playing 7.4 content in its current state (without my 4x atmos channels for now) the movement of sound from back to front, front to back and side to side is WELL worth the added expense for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3538 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
JEDI Force wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 1:53 pm
Yes I have a D-BOX system at home. My basement home theater is not done yet so right now I only have a single chair in my living room. You buy the HEMC controller and then you pay your subscription to get all the Motion Codes ($250 per year). It is subscription based like Netflix so you have access to everything as long as you have a valid a subscription.
Wow, I tip my hat to you. That's pretty awesome.

Is the plan to make all seats in your HT D-box 4D compatible?

Mind if I ask what it costs per seat?

Is it a sold as a purpose-built seat from D-box or is it a general platform that you can place any chair/couch on?
Feb 25, 2004
465 posts
91 upvotes
Longueuil
Repooc wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 7:09 pm
Wow, I tip my hat to you. That's pretty awesome.

Is the plan to make all seats in your HT D-box 4D compatible?

Mind if I ask what it costs per seat?

Is it a sold as a purpose-built seat from D-box or is it a general platform that you can place any chair/couch on?
I will probably get 3 seats (or maybe 4 but I like the idea of having a seat perfectly in the middle of the screen) and I'll try to have D-BOX motion for all of them. I'll have a second row to use when there are more people (very rare) but without D-BOX.

D-BOX doesn't make seats but you can buy compatible seats to have D-BOX actuators integrated. I have an older system which is a platform that you can adjust to fit pretty much any seat. It doesn't look as good obviously but it is less expensive and can be used with another seat if I want to change.

Prices are always different, it depends who you buy it from. You might find a used system on ebay otherwise you can find an official distributor in your area. The first seat is always the most expensive because you need to buy the seat itself (or plateform) and then you need an HEMC controller. The HEMC feeds motion to multiple seats so you only need one.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Apr 26, 2003
865 posts
232 upvotes
Repooc, if you don't have it, I suggest watching Heat with your setup. The bank robbery shootout scene would probably be AWESOME with your setup.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4392 posts
145 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Thanks for all the responses. Best thread on RFD in a long time.

Repoocs, do you have experience in building cabinents/speaker enclosures? I looked at the stuff at partsexpress and considered some DIYs builds but was concerned about cabinet build quality and how to do that. Did you buy premade MDF from somewhere and put it together like IKEA furniture? Or you knew and cut boards and asembled them yourself? How do you know if your speaker is audiophile grade or dollarstore junk? Is there some special SPL response meter you used for measuring responses from 50-2KHz?

The DIY kits generally just come with the drivers, crossover circuit and binding posts and you need a braced enclosure already to mount them inside and that's the part I couldn't get past, I was concerned it wouldn't be as good as something bought like a Chane a2.4 speaker.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Mar 15, 2005
365 posts
105 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 11:01 am
Repooc, if you don't have it, I suggest watching Heat with your setup. The bank robbery shootout scene would probably be AWESOME with your setup.
it doenst look like there is a UHD version of HEAT released yet. but i admit, that bank robbery scene in the streets is awesome.

AVS forum has a list of best LFE movies which i'd love to hear in Reepoc's setup. top of list is Bladerunner 2049 which i recommended several pages back :)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subw ... harts.html
svs also has thier short list
https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/10384 ... ie-moments

im looking forward to my atmos build out to try some of the recommended movies here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movie ... atmos.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3538 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
webdoctors wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 11:40 am
Thanks for all the responses. Best thread on RFD in a long time.

Repoocs, do you have experience in building cabinents/speaker enclosures? I looked at the stuff at partsexpress and considered some DIYs builds but was concerned about cabinet build quality and how to do that. Did you buy premade MDF from somewhere and put it together like IKEA furniture? Or you knew and cut boards and asembled them yourself? How do you know if your speaker is audiophile grade or dollarstore junk? Is there some special SPL response meter you used for measuring responses from 50-2KHz?

The DIY kits generally just come with the drivers, crossover circuit and binding posts and you need a braced enclosure already to mount them inside and that's the part I couldn't get past, I was concerned it wouldn't be as good as something bought like a Chane a2.4 speaker.
These DIY speakers are DEFINITELY "audiophile grade" as you've put it. Partsexpress is pretty good for getting individual components such as drivers, etc. But for a complete kit, I strongly suggest you check out diy sound group.

At diysg, you can also order the cabinet which has been CNC pre-cut and comes as a "flat pack" for your assembly. If you know how to use a bottle of wood glue and pneumatic brad stapler... It can be just as easy as assembling Ikea furniture. The cabinet sizes are all specifically tuned to the driver being used; all of the measurement hard work is already done.

The crossover circuit boards can also be ordered pre-assembled if you want for about $15, otherwise you'd need some very basic soldering skills to attach some resistors and coils to a pre-marked integrated circuit board.

I'm telling you guys; once converted, you'd never go back to a branded (high priced) speaker product... Unless you're absolutley deadset on seeing the exotic cherry burlwood veneer finish on your speaker cabinets in your dark home theater, or even better behind your acoustically transparent screen.

Here's an 'in progress' pic of my 10" atmos speaker cabinets being built. These pieces of wood, including the internal braces have all been CNC pre-cut.
20180804_094719_HDR.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4392 posts
145 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Thanks I completely missed DIY sound group! Looks like a great site, and you confirmed what I always wondered, its better to DIY.

I live near a Fry's in USA, and always see crazy deals on Klipsch speakers, like $500 speakers discounted to $150, and after overheads, you figure its probably $80 Klipsch gets or $40/speaker to make build and ship a speaker from China to the store. How good can the quality of parts be for something like that, and always felt DIY was the better option.

I got a great deal on Craigslist off some speakers with $200 tweeters in them (SVS MBS/MCS 01s) so I wouldn't be able to build something cheaper than what I got them for, otherwise I'd definitely do what you did.

I might try them (DIYsg) for my office room for near field listening, build something simple.
__
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3538 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
Had the pleasure of meeting @discoblues in person for the first time this past weekend when he came over to demo my HT.

Thanks bud for helping out with the projector calibration!!

I hope to follow your HT build thread soon! Definitely saw the wheels turning in your head as you were leaving, drawing on inspirations and ideas for your own build.

Hopefully next time you pass by I'll have the Atmos speakers built and installed, with the rest of the speakers calibrated and dialed in.
Mar 15, 2005
365 posts
105 upvotes
Thanks for having me and sharing your ideas @Repooc.

you definiately have a very keen eye to detail, and all of the time spent doing research defintely paid off.

one word sums up the Repooc theatre experience : in-friggin-sane! (ok thats 2 words but whatever)

The live demo reminded me of this :)

I think my vision is still a bit blurred from my brain being rattled around in my head from that bass scene in ready player one. :)

Regarding the projector calibration, Yours already looks really good, but i know your a perfectionist so i hope you will be able to fine tune it to make it that much better. I recommend first going through this guide http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322 - Its a few years old but still does a good job of explaining the end game and the steps and terms required to achieve it. Even tho they suggest different sofware (hdhr software hasnt been updated in years) and test patterns (so much easier to use an app on your phone instead of playing/pausing a demo disk) It gives some good advice on things like the sensor placement/adjustment before starting. I strongly suggest going through some calman workflows and youtube videos before tackling.

I remember the first time i calabrated i thought things looked too dark and seemed to have a red tinge, that is normal, others have said the same thing. Its actually much more natural and allows your eyes to relax more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3538 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
That Simpsons clip made me LOL, don't think I've seen it before!! Yeah, we got the system going pretty good, eh? Room pressurization is definitely key.

We were only hovering at around -30 to -25 on the receiver/amplifier and the discrete amp for the 18" subs is only turned up to 50%... still lots of headroom to go. I just picked up an SPL meter from Amazon. Would be interested to see some measured results once I calibrate everything.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4392 posts
145 upvotes
Austin/Markham
This thread convinced me to try the DIY experience. Built some monitor speakers for my desk from this kit:

https://www.parts-express.com/c-note-mt ... --300-7140

Incredible what you can get for just $100. I'll definitely go the DIY if I decide to upgrade my sub in the future.

Amazing the info available online now, 20 yrs ago you'd be at the mercy of the town HT store.
__
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3538 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
webdoctors wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 11:59 pm
This thread convinced me to try the DIY experience. Built some monitor speakers for my desk from this kit:

https://www.parts-express.com/c-note-mt ... --300-7140

Incredible what you can get for just $100. I'll definitely go the DIY if I decide to upgrade my sub in the future.

Amazing the info available online now, 20 yrs ago you'd be at the mercy of the town HT store.
LOL.... You're welcome. It only gets better.

DIY subs are ridiculously easy to build. Check out the DIY speaker sub-forum of avsforum to completely blow your mind.

One thing I might experiment with in the future is an infinite baffle subwoofer setup for some nearfield bass within the limited space behind my seating. But IB subs are a whole new mythical world to me at the moment... Lots more reading to do.
Dec 3, 2008
28 posts
4 upvotes
Awesome setup! Did you manage to source much of your stuff from this side of the border? All the DIY speaker stuff I've found is in the states.