Home & Garden

Repooc's Dedicated Home Theater Build

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2018 12:10 am
Aug 14, 2011
303 posts
63 upvotes
Calgary
I am surprised that I have missed this thread until now. It looks like you are making some good progress.

I am really interested in seeing how this turns out, as I will be starting my own 7.1.4 home theatre build next summer. It looks like you are doing everything right to have sound containment, and I think you will love the end results.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10201 posts
5083 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Awesome. Can't wait to see how this turns out. It's refreshing to see a proper projector instead of the RFD specials lol
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1789 posts
119 upvotes
this is an exciting project to follow. looking forward to the build (and more pictures)!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3525 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
PROJECT UPDATE!!

Equipment: I picked up a Furman Elite PFi 15 power conditioner yesterday. This will feed all the components of my HT.

Lots of construction progress the last few days... First shipment of sound-proofing supplies has arrived (still waiting on the clips).

I FINALLY finished pulling all the pre-wiring cables yesterday. The media closet pictured below has all the wiring for my HT plus Cat-6 cables from the rest of my house (setting up some smart home/automation stuff concurrently with this HT project). This closest will pretty much be 'mission control' for my entire house, including the HT. Altogether, I've pulled over 2,000 feet of various A/V cabling and Cat-6 the last few days.

The HVAC trunk that runs above the HT has been coated with sound dampening compound (not sure how effective this will be... at best, when I knock on the ductwork it's more of a "thud" now, opposed to sounding metallic/tinny. Either way, this will be completely encased in a sound dampened bulkhead.
Dampened HVAC.jpg

I'm told the HT room requires about 56 sheets of drywall alone!! LOL. Only 2 of the 3 HUGE stacks are pictured here.
Drywall.jpg

Green Glue compound and sealant for DAYS.
Gren Glue.jpg

Not all pictured here... but there's 20 bags of safe'n sound going into the HT
Insulation.jpg

So, this is where over 2,000 feet of cabling gets terminated. Most will be terminated onto wall jacks for simple plug and play. For things like the HDMI run to the projector, I'm doing a pass-thru for a homerun between my receiver and projector, to mitigate any signal degradation.
Media Closet.jpg

Resilient channel delivered and awaiting CAREFUL installation
Res Channel.jpg

Here's half of the cabling as it exists my media closet towards the HT (the other half, not pictured, goes to the rest of my house). I think it looks pretty. Unfortunately, my wife nixed the idea of letting me leave this piece of wall without drywall to show off the goodness. But in case you're wondering, this is the amount of cables you need to run a 7.4.4 HT. ;)
Cabling.jpg

4x ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos pre-wired
Ceiling Atmos.jpg

Both dead vents have been ducted now. Pictured here is the exhaust from the HT at the front (screen wall) of the room. it will be hidden behind the false wall that contains the acoustically transparent screen
Deadvent Exhaust.jpg
Mar 15, 2005
358 posts
101 upvotes
Well done with the research and planning. I've been tweaking my ht for over a decade now, and I hope you dont mind but I plan on stealing some of your ideas with my ht build when I move in April.

Curious, what components are you using for your DIY speakers? Have you had a chance to give them a listen or are you going in blind? One thing to keep in mind before you decide to go the DIY route is if you go to a reputable dealer, they will let you upgrade if you aren't happy, or you can always sell brand name speakers on sites like Canuck audio mart or audiogon if you feel like a change. If you go the DIY route you wont be able to recover much of your investment should you decide to upgrade. Also, Probably not a big deal but you mention you want to keep your amps outside the room but you later say you are going to build active subwoofers. Curious why you aren't making the subs passive and powering them with an amp outside the room?

Also just a thought but did you already buy the screen? Its probably a matter of preference but I find there is much more 16x9 content than 2.35:1. You'll have more screen real estate displaying letterbox on the top and bottom of a taller screen and a 16x9 image would need to be shrunk quite a bit to fit on the 2.35:1. In either scenerio a masking system can be made so the image really pops.

You also mentioned you'll be treating the floor. With the soundproof / green glue, does it negate the need for wall treatments? I found when I put wall treatments at the primary speaker reflection points and bass traps in the corners of made huge improvement in wind quality.

Best of luck, looking forward to seeing the finished product
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3525 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
discoblues wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 12:14 am
Well done with the research and planning. I've been tweaking my ht for over a decade now, and I hope you dont mind but I plan on stealing some of your ideas with my ht build when I move in April.
LOL... are you ever REALLY done tweaking though? By all means, 'steal' my ideas. I'm happy to know that someone can do what I did or improve upon it. Please do share pics of your setup!
discoblues wrote:
Curious, what components are you using for your DIY speakers? Have you had a chance to give them a listen or are you going in blind? One thing to keep in mind before you decide to go the DIY route is if you go to a reputable dealer, they will let you upgrade if you aren't happy, or you can always sell brand name speakers on sites like Canuck audio mart or audiogon if you feel like a change. If you go the DIY route you wont be able to recover much of your investment should you decide to upgrade. Also, Probably not a big deal but you mention you want to keep your amps outside the room but you later say you are going to build active subwoofers. Curious why you aren't making the subs passive and powering them with an amp outside the room?
I haven't quite settled on particular models yet, although I do have a few in mind. I'll be sourcing the components and flat packs from these 2 companies in the states:
https://www.parts-express.com/
and
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/
I'm buying them "blind" but trust that the other audiophiles on AVS Forum have put in the time for singing their praises on these products. I'm fully aware that I can't flip them for profit or recoup as much money down the road, but the truth is that I tend to hold onto my AV gear for a LOOONG time before I upgrade. This time around, with placing the speakers behind the screen, I could care less about the piano black or wood grain finish or funky coloured cones/tweeters, as they will be out of sight. Hope that doesn't come off in a bad tone.

In regards to the subs... I have flexibility in the way I pre-wired my room. My Receiver has 2 sub outputs, that I plan to use from the start. However, should I decide for whatever reason, switch to passive subs with a separate amp, I have also pre-wired the room with 12 gauge speaker wire. The room is effectively wired for 7.4.4, whereby the .4 subs has .2 on RCA jacks and .2 on speaker wires. I don't ever see myself running 4 subwoofers. What I may end up doing switching over to a passive subwoofer with a seperate amp and then using those 2 RCA subwoofer outputs on my receiver to feed tactile transducers (AKA Butt Shakers or Butt KIckers) placed under my seats. BTW, I also pre-wired the room for tactile transducers under each of my seats.
discoblues wrote:
Also just a thought but did you already buy the screen? Its probably a matter of preference but I find there is much more 16x9 content than 2.35:1. You'll have more screen real estate displaying letterbox on the top and bottom of a taller screen and a 16x9 image would need to be shrunk quite a bit to fit on the 2.35:1. In either scenerio a masking system can be made so the image really pops.
Yes, I already bought the screen. And I see where you're coming from. I spent a month or two flipping back and forth on what screen format to buy. In the end, I came to the understanding that this will be a MOVIE watching room where most movies nowadays are filmed in cinemascope 2.35:1; rather than watching broadcast TV at 16:9. The other thing that swung me in this direction is that my projector has a automatic lens memory feature, where I can effectively zoom a 2.35:1 movie to fill the screen without distorting the image. It effectively throws the black bars at the top and the bottom off of the screen.
Kinda what's going on in this video below:

discoblues wrote:
You also mentioned you'll be treating the floor. With the soundproof / green glue, does it negate the need for wall treatments? I found when I put wall treatments at the primary speaker reflection points and bass traps in the corners of made huge improvement in wind quality.

Best of luck, looking forward to seeing the finished product
Not treating the floor per se.... just a subfloor with carpet. Better than having a highly reflective surface like tile, wood, laminate or vinyl. The green glue will be used in the walls and ceiling only. I'm not sure if additional wall treatments (bass traps, etc) will be required. I'll cross that bridge when the room is done and run my room correction software on my Anthem receiver. I suspect first reflection points will need something.... what that is, I'm not sure yet. I will likely fill the baffle wall/cavity behind the screen with foam "egg crates" to kill the reflections in that tiny area.
Aug 14, 2011
303 posts
63 upvotes
Calgary
Where did you end up getting green glue from? Local or out of the US?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3525 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
SAVINGSTAR wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 4:39 pm
Where did you end up getting green glue from? Local or out of the US?
Local home depot...

I've searched far and wide... Shitty thing about being in Canada is that there are VERY limited vendors of this product. At the manufacturer seems to control the pricing quite tightly... You might see a savings of like $0.50 if you really shop around.

Its MUCH cheaper in the states though... But then you have to factor in shipping (or driving), duties and our crappy dollar, and then you're better off just buying locally.

I figured its a one time expense... Might as well do it right. And it offers the biggest jump in STC gain.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3525 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
whew.... almost had a heart attack yesterday.

With drywall scheduled to start today, I was doing one final mental check of my pre-wiring after I had installed my wire conduit (for future cabling) to make sure I was comfortable with what was pulled before drywall work begins. Rather save my conduit for a FUTURE use, rather than for something I forgot.

I realized that I forgot one MINOR detail that would have caused me a huge headache.... I forgot to buy/run a 12V trigger cable from my projector to my media closet. My plan is to use my projector (when turned on by a remote in the HT) to trigger the turning on of my other components through my Furman power conditioner..... rather than going to my media closet every time turn on each component.

So, I was in a pinch, as my go-to cable store, Infinite Cables, was closed on Sunday... so I figured I'd drop by a local 2001 Audio Video store, to get common trigger cable.... WRONG. I walk in, browsing, looking for a cable section; and a sales guy asks if I need some help. I told him that I'm looking for trigger cable. Immediately, I can tell he has no clue what that is. So then I go on to say, it's basic 3.5mm audio cable with male ends. At this point he throws up his hands and asks his colleague who is on his way out to have a smoke. And he says, "sorry, we don't carry that". So, I turn around, and on my way out... on the left side near all the cables, I see 3.5mm audio cable... GO FIGURE. I didn't have the heart (or time) to educate them on their own products.... plus I needed a really long run, they only had a 6ft cable.

As I mentioned in the OP... these retail stores are just there to push product... and 2001 Audio Video isn't even really considered "boutique" for AV. :facepalm:

So, I swung by Canada Computers, and managed to snag a 50' trigger cable for $30 bucks... whew!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3525 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
(small) PROJECT UPDATE!

So, the rest of the sound dampening materials arrived yesterday. Now, my contractor is getting down to finishing up the bulkhead/soffit work in the ceiling. It's REALLY starting to come together now.

Started putting together my Chief Projector mount last night. It's been while since I took the Sony projector out of the box... I forgot how damn big/heavy this thing is!! The mount is SUPER sturdy/strong though.

projector mount.jpg

The angled isolation clips and resilient channel clips finally arrived.
Angled Clips.jpg
Channel Clips.jpg

My foreman is an absolute master when it comes to framing... the bulkhead (left) and faux soffit (right) look incredible. I can't wait to see this recessed lighting cove all lit up.

framing - bulkhead.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2003
1378 posts
2779 upvotes
Scarborough
Do you have a FTTH fiber connection from your internet service provider? Just asking because if you don't and you're fully finishing the basement now, later on you might have difficulty running a new fiber line from the outside in to wherever your modem and network gear are.

Awesome setup by the way. :)
RFD Member # 3476!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3525 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
freebie wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:16 pm
Do you have a FTTH fiber connection from your internet service provider? Just asking because if you don't and you're fully finishing the basement now, later on you might have difficulty running a new fiber line from the outside in to wherever your modem and network gear are.

Awesome setup by the way. :)
I don't have fiber... Isn't that Bell?? I'm on Rogers Gigabit, using regular RG6 Coax to the modem. Quite honestly, I'm not sure how much faster of an internet connection I'm going to need??? Gigabit is stupid fast.

My media closest (with my modem) is on the opposite end of my basement... where I have the rogers coax cable do a direct single-cable run from the demarc point right into my modem. The signal is so strong, in fact, that they had to install an attenuator to stabilize the signal.... The little rogers green box is on my neighbours yard.

I did 'future proof' this through, just in case, and ran cat-6 from my media closet back to my demarc point. So that, if required, I can just move my modem out of the media closet and then run a cat-6 from the modem back to my media closet where my router, switch, and patch panel are.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2003
1378 posts
2779 upvotes
Scarborough
Nice, good idea running the extra cat6. I might have suggested just running a conduit instead just in case, who knows if Rogers will eventually change their network technology to fiber!
RFD Member # 3476!
Mar 15, 2005
358 posts
101 upvotes
Should have done cat 6e :)
Kidding (kinda). ..

I do bet you felt kind of gross after the 2001 experience. I shutter when I think about the pushy inexperienced sales people at that place!!!

Where did you get the sound isolation clips and hat channel equipment? is there a place that sells that sort of stuff in Canada?

Regarding my own build, I'm now considering keeping a bunch of my old gear and upgrade in over the next few years in stages. I figure I can get another year or 2 out of my 2013 jvc projector which does crazy black levels compared to 90 of projectors I've seen, I've calibrated it myself using calman spectracal software and it still looks great. I even found out this week that it does lens memory after you mentioned you have the the feature on your Sony :)
I am however convinced that I will upgrade to a 7.2.4 setup (considering your anthem 1120 or denon x6400) but im likely keeping my external amp to drive the 7 mains.

I definitely also want to add a second sub. If anyone reading this knows anyone considering selling a svs pb12 plus pm me :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3525 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
discoblues wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:39 pm
Where did you get the sound isolation clips and hat channel equipment? is there a place that sells that sort of stuff in Canada?

I've calibrated it myself using calman spectracal software and it still looks great. I even found out this week that it does lens memory after you mentioned you have the the feature on your Sony :)
Again, after searching far and wide... across Canada and in the States... I ended up buying my clips and putty pads from Acoustigard
http://www.acoustiguard.com/products/so ... lings.html
They're actually located in Mississauga, so shipping was reasonable to the East end of the GTA for me (they allow in-person pickup if you're local). This turned out the be the best priced clips I could find.

The resilient channel was readily available at Home Depot.

I'd love to learn more about the Calman Spectracal Software you used for calibration. If this is something i can DIY.... I'm all for it. I just don't want to invest a whole bunch of money into gear that I'll use once whenever I change the bulb every few years. How much did it cost? Was it hard to learn? You've definitely piqued my interest.

EDIT:
LOL... so, I just googled this Calman Spectracal Software - Home Enthusiast product. And after I buy the various software, pattener generators, meters and licence I'm looking at about $3,400 USD!! LOL WUT??

Care to lend me your calibrator for a nominal fee?? hahaha

I think I can probably pay someone far less than that to come calibrate for me... hopefully