Sports & Recreation

Report: There could be be up to six 'outdoor' NHL stadium games next season (2014)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2013 11:13 pm

Poll: Do you like the idea of having up to six 'outdoor' NHL stadium games in 2014?

• Total votes: 4. You have voted on this poll.
YES

25%
NO

75%
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD

Report: There could be be up to six 'outdoor' NHL stadium games next season (2014)

Report: There could be up to six outdoor games next season
James O'Brien
Apr 16, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... xt-season/

[QUOTE]If the rumblings are correct, the NHL might hold as many as six outdoor games during the 2013-14 season.

TSN’s Darren Dreger notes during an “Insider Trading” segment that while things are subject to change, the league could trot out this array of high-profile contests if everything works out (all in 2014):

Jan. 1: 2014 Winter Classic – Toronto vs. Detroit at Michigan Stadium
Jan. 25: Anaheim vs. Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium
Jan. 26: New Jersey vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
Jan. 29: NY Islanders vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
March 1: Pittsburgh vs. Chicago at Soldier Field
March 2: 2014 Heritage Classic – Ottawa vs. Vancouver at BC Place

Dreger points out that the Rangers’ duo of outdoor games would mark an attempt to capitalize on a rare cold weather Super Bowl in 2014. The March games hold strategic potential, too, as they’ll be coming after the 2014 Olympics.

Again, he notes that there are some “wrinkles to iron out,” so don’t take this as an official announcement. Still, it’s a bold plan by the NHL.

It might be wise to load up on some quality winter garments.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest a good pair of binoculars for those in attendance .... that or view the game on the jumbotron.

[IMG]http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zr2d85.jpg[/IMG]
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3419 posts
2071 upvotes
GVRD
March 2nd..... I hope it's not raining...

I'm starting to think this is going too far, although it's understandable considering how much money the NHL will make from this.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
scv wrote: March 2nd..... I hope it's not raining...

I'm starting to think this is going too far, although it's understandable considering how much money the NHL will make from this.
since it's bc place, they can close the roof. yeah, good for hrr, and boosting the cap back up for the rich NHL teams to maximize.
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
lol @ the current (1 in favour, 2 against) poll results. why am i'm not surprised to see a couple of voters not in favour of watering down, adding more opportunities for teams to hold games on a grander stage? :razz:

Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
How the heck are they going to have an outdoor game at Dodger stadium?????
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
I never understood the appeal. Its frigid cold and you're sitting so far away.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Longobongo wrote: I never understood the appeal. Its frigid cold and you're sitting so far away.
i think because its a unique event, people like to go to them for the 'experience.' if they do it in an annual basis ... well, i think that's asking a bit too much. but maybe have a city host an event once every 4 years or so would be OK in big hockey markets.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)