Reputable Breeder Toronto Cavapoo/Cavoodle

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2019 10:09 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2018
1 posts

Reputable Breeder Toronto Cavapoo/Cavoodle

Hello,

I am looking for a reputable breeder of Cavapoos/Cavoodles anywhere in Ontario (preferable in southern Ontario).

If anyone knows any or has actually adopted one from a breeder in Ontario, please contact me.

Also looking for any bad experiences too I want to know if there are any places I should avoid, found a few that are at the very least sketchy/a few warning signs.

Thank you!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1129 posts
711 upvotes
British Columbia
You're not going to find reputable breeders of mix breeds; it goes against what a proper breeder is trying to accomplish which is a set personality, size and body shape.

People breed designer breeds to make money, often selling them for more than a purebred from a reputable breeder, and at best are backyard breeders. Many may appear to be a backyard breeder but in fact could be a broker.

Why do you want a Cavapoo? One of my dogs is some kind of Poodle/Spaniel mix, with high likelihood of Cavalier a few generations back according to DNA testing. She's a mutt that looks more like a Cavalier than anything. Lovely little dog but not something I'd seek out considering all the health issues in relation to Cavaliers plus never wanting to support backyard breeds/brokers/puppy mills.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20430 posts
1919 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 1:20 pm
You're not going to find reputable breeders of mix breeds; it goes against what a proper breeder is trying to accomplish which is a set personality, size and body shape.

People breed designer breeds to make money, often selling them for more than a purebred from a reputable breeder, and at best are backyard breeders. Many may appear to be a backyard breeder but in fact could be a broker.

Why do you want a Cavapoo? One of my dogs is some kind of Poodle/Spaniel mix, with high likelihood of Cavalier a few generations back according to DNA testing. She's a mutt that looks more like a Cavalier than anything. Lovely little dog but not something I'd seek out considering all the health issues in relation to Cavaliers plus never wanting to support backyard breeds/brokers/puppy mills.
this - you won't get a reputable breeder or CKC certified for a mixed or "designer" breed. Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud owner of a Havapoo mix and I love her to bits but knowing what I know now, definitely got her from a hobby or backyard breeder.

I hope to goodness she's not from a broker or puppy mill (I don't think so since I got pictures of the parents, papers with the "breeders" info etc but those can be faked).....and he health when checked by my vet was really good and seemed to be well taken care of as a puppy.

All I can suggest is if you do want to get a mixed breed, visit the "breeder" and their place - check out the puppy's parents and check to make sure the breeder is not selling many types of mixed breeds <- selling many mixed breeds or many breeds is a warning sign of a broker or puppies coming from a puppy mill.

But to be really sure, go with a purebreed and do your research for a reputable breeder.

Great read by the American Kennel Club:

https://www.akc.org/press-center/articl ... -breeders/
Jun 11, 2015
288 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'd wanted a cavapoo to get away from the health issues of both poodles and cavaliers. IE: I'd be fine with either a poodle or a cavalier, a cavapoo would be something in between except not massively inbred. Breeding out fixes many of the genetic conditions - you get a healthier dog through a hybrid, it just won't look like a purebred and you just won't know whether it will act like a poodle or a cavalier.

Unfortunately, there is so much demand for miniature poodle crosses right now that anyone who isn't running a puppy mill has a year long waiting list and asks for multiple thousand dollars.

I didn't want to wait a year so I researched and met with a couple of breeders who had great websites (and were asking more than $1000) but didn't have waiting lists. I left pretty confident they were running puppy mills based on asking about their breeding practices. If you aren't running a puppy mill, you produce only a small number of dogs per year which means you will end up with a huge waiting list.

I ended up giving up and buying a one year old off of Kijiji (who certainly didn't come from a reputable breeder).
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
2667 posts
22 upvotes
416 to the 905
I own a Cavoodle and can speak from experience about my adoption and the temperament of the dog.

It is true that when you breed two purebreds together it reduces the likelihood of the puppy having the same genetic conditions that are prone to purebreds, so you're essentially getting the character traits of both breeds. But that being said, it's difficult to determine which genes the dog will inherit more of.

We researched a long time before we decided on the Cavoodle. Can I ask why you want this breed specifically?

During our research from two years ago we found that there are not many breeders in the GTA that offer this breed – there were maybe four of five at most. We finally settled on one that was about two hours north of Toronto after speaking with her on the phone, communicating through email and working with a couple from Toronto that own an older Cavoodle from the same breeder.

The breeder is a stay at home mom and part time teacher that bred Cavoodles as a hobby. She has since gotten quite busy and to me understanding, now has a year wait list to get a new puppy. Getting a puppy isn’t something that should be rushed, I would suggest doing your research on the breed, seeing if it’s a good fit and then working with the breeder you choose to come up with an adoption timeline/plan. I would be very suspicious if someone said they had a dog for sale and was able to sell it to you next week. Things shouldn’t happen this quickly.
The Cell Phone Plan (Public Mobile): Unlimited: Incoming and Outgoing / Canada Wide Long Distance / Caller ID / Voicemail / 5GB Data