• Oct 25th, 2015 10:12 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 5, 2008
202 posts
136 upvotes

Request for advice on my situation

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on my situation. This is a lengthy post but I think this is all relevant:

I will be turning 30 next year. I completed my bachelors in chemical engineering in 2013 in Canada. During the degree I completed a 5 month work term at a tissue paper plant in the quality lab mainly carrying out tests and audits on paper products. For my second term I did an 8 month term in the regulatory affairs department for a large company and after graduation a 14 month contract with them as well. So basically no engineering experience. I moved to Alberta in August of last year since I believed it would be easier to get an engineering job here. The economy took a hit so there werent many jobs available. I have applied to over a hundred positions all around Canada since I am willing to relocate anywhere but only had two interviews from pulp and paper companies in BC who considered me until the second interview but I was then rejected. Now my EI has run out and I will be doing some warehouse work.

At this point I do not know what I should be doing. There are two options I am looking at. One is to take a certificate program at Southern Alberta Institute of Technology called the "Process Piping Drafting - Fast Track" program. Its 34-weeks in length, consisting of 30 weeks of instruction and a four-week practicum located in industry. I am thinking this may help get my foot in the door, gain some experience and lead to better things. Here is the course listing: http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... utline.php

The second option I am looking at is doing a masters. Specifically an MEng that is course-based rather than an MASc that would be research based. There seem to be many areas of specialization available at the University of Calgary: Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Energy and Environment, Environmental Engineering. I am thinking that with this there may be a chance to try for an internship once in the program since I may be eligible for one being a full time student and that will help with engineering work experience. Also, when I graduate I could be again considered a new graduate and may qualify for hiring through new grad job postings. Of course the risks are that with no real engineering experience a masters may make me overqualified for entry level jobs as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I really dont know what I should be doing and feel stuck.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
New grad positions are for undergrads usually. Have you tried US?

Going to SAIT to be cad operator? Really? You got good resume since you are getting calls, work on your interview skills.
Jun 5, 2008
202 posts
136 upvotes
Thank you for the reply.

With US jobs they mostly have the question during application asking if I am legally entitled to work there. I understand that as a Canadian citizen if I need to work there I would need a work permit. Since I have no real engineering experience that does not seem likely.
I am of course going to keep applying, but what would your opinion be on the MEng? One of my concerns is the increasing gap of unemployment on my resume.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You have too much education already

Just be more persistent and keep applying for jobs. One will eventually turn up.
Jan 7, 2012
92 posts
490 upvotes
Calgary
Work on your cover letter, resume, and interviewing skills. Then keep on applying anywhere and everywhere. Also, even though it can feel like a waste of time, especially with little experience, do whatever networking you can (friends, linkedin, job fairs, etc.).

If you insist on going back to school, it should be something completely different that would actually supplement your engineering degree that sets you apart and gives you options outside of engineering. Something like business, accounting, law, etc. For the two options you've considered:
1. Becoming a drafter is a step in the wrong direction, and process piping has been hard hit by the O&G downturn. I know a bunch of laid-off drafters having no luck.
2. Getting an M.Eng. is 2 years of lost income that you'll never make back, especially since you're already 30. It doesn't make you much more employable, nor does it offer a significant bump in salary when you do land a job. Internships are for undergrads, not post-grads. Furthermore, it's only worth it if you have a keen interest in the topic (doesn't seem to be your case), since the majority if what you learn is completely irrelevant in the real world. I say this having initially started on my M.Eng. at the U of C a few years back.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
Sanctumus wrote: Thank you for the reply.

With US jobs they mostly have the question during application asking if I am legally entitled to work there. I understand that as a Canadian citizen if I need to work there I would need a work permit. Since I have no real engineering experience that does not seem likely.
I am of course going to keep applying, but what would your opinion be on the MEng? One of my concerns is the increasing gap of unemployment on my resume.
What do you mean no engineering experience? You worked for 25 months. Say that you are eligible to work in US. Since you are a citizen, according to NAFTA you are eligible for TN visa. Go to border with your Canadian degree and they stamp it on the spot.

And its all about selling your self. Stop underestimating your abilities, you did engineering. You can do anything they throw at you
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
ironbrah wrote: What do you mean no engineering experience? You worked for 25 months. Say that you are eligible to work in US. Since you are a citizen, according to NAFTA you are eligible for TN visa. Go to border with your Canadian degree and they stamp it on the spot.

And its all about selling your self. Stop underestimating your abilities, you did engineering. You can do anything they throw at you
Terrible advice. OP is not legally entitled to work in the US and lying about it in the application process is a fast track to to shredder.

OP, if you go this route, explain you are eligible for a TN visa. Look for multinational companies and apply there as they are very familiar with visa procedures.
Jul 15, 2009
161 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
Option 1 - not a good option for you. Drafters are in very low demand, and will only go ever lower as most companies do outsourcing of drafting to either China or India. In oil and gas, drafters are also one of the first discipline to get laid off during a down time.

Option 2 - not a good option for you either. Everyone knows M.Eng is something to fill the time gap between layoffs and has no real value. Unless you're in M.A.Sc., which will take you at least 2 years full time instead one 1 year evening classes. With your background and experiences, M.Eng doesn't really add any value to your qualifications.

With your background, you should try government (AER, NEB), oil companies (not EPCs), laboratories (such as MAXXAM), or even APEGA as they hire people with strong policy background. As the others have already mentioned, you should try the US as they have a lot more opportunities for a chemical engineer in the current economic environment.

Any particular reason you want to stay in Alberta? Is it O&G process engineering that interests you?

Last but not least, what kind of company and position did you work for your contract and why didn't they offer you a position? Have you tried your ex-employer's competitors?
Jun 5, 2008
202 posts
136 upvotes
Beachdown wrote: Terrible advice. OP is not legally entitled to work in the US and lying about it in the application process is a fast track to to shredder.

OP, if you go this route, explain you are eligible for a TN visa. Look for multinational companies and apply there as they are very familiar with visa procedures.
Thank you and ironbrah for your advice. I will certainly look at trying to apply to positions in the US.
Jun 5, 2008
202 posts
136 upvotes
benjuotterly wrote: Option 1 - not a good option for you. Drafters are in very low demand, and will only go ever lower as most companies do outsourcing of drafting to either China or India. In oil and gas, drafters are also one of the first discipline to get laid off during a down time.

Option 2 - not a good option for you either. Everyone knows M.Eng is something to fill the time gap between layoffs and has no real value. Unless you're in M.A.Sc., which will take you at least 2 years full time instead one 1 year evening classes. With your background and experiences, M.Eng doesn't really add any value to your qualifications.

With your background, you should try government (AER, NEB), oil companies (not EPCs), laboratories (such as MAXXAM), or even APEGA as they hire people with strong policy background. As the others have already mentioned, you should try the US as they have a lot more opportunities for a chemical engineer in the current economic environment.

Any particular reason you want to stay in Alberta? Is it O&G process engineering that interests you?

Last but not least, what kind of company and position did you work for your contract and why didn't they offer you a position? Have you tried your ex-employer's competitors?
I see what you mean and it makes sense regarding the certificates and masters.

After the crash in somewhere around November I have actually been applying to ANY position in Canada using sites like indeed that is willing to hire a chemical engineer regardless of location or industry.

I worked for a consumer goods company as a regulatory manager. Dealt with compliance in terms of product formulation, packaging, responding to requests by health and environment Canada in the form of reports e.t.c They did not offer a full time position due to head count issues but were willing to extend contract. However, that work had really burned me out and I could not stand it any longer which is why I moved to Alberta to find work here. This sort of job actually does not have a lot of demand unless you have a lot of experience as well.
Jul 15, 2009
161 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
Sanctumus wrote: I see what you mean and it makes sense regarding the certificates and masters.

After the crash in somewhere around November I have actually been applying to ANY position in Canada using sites like indeed that is willing to hire a chemical engineer regardless of location or industry.

I worked for a consumer goods company as a regulatory manager. Dealt with compliance in terms of product formulation, packaging, responding to requests by health and environment Canada in the form of reports e.t.c They did not offer a full time position due to head count issues but were willing to extend contract. However, that work had really burned me out and I could not stand it any longer which is why I moved to Alberta to find work here. This sort of job actually does not have a lot of demand unless you have a lot of experience as well.
So, were you in food related industry? If your work had anything to do with health and environment policy, you would have a thousand times better chances than the others in applying to pharmaceutical companies. Many pharmaceutical companies has production facilities in Canada that needs chemical engineer with food/pharma experience, GSK, Nova, Sanofi, etc.

Don't forget there's always water treatment companies, both EPC (such as AMEC, AECOM, or CH2M HILLS) or equipment vendors need chemical engineers with policy background. If you don't know what companies are there, then google local trade show participants and then check out their website, or give them a call. Lots of good opportunities are unadvertised.

While years of experience is very important, but your ability to elaborate (some call it BS) your experience in relation to the potential employer's business is more important than anything. If you don't have a lot of job application and interview experience, you should seek help either from someone whose experienced, or from a paid professional.
Jun 5, 2008
202 posts
136 upvotes
It was for personal care products such as shampoos, anti-perspirants e.t.c. I do have to figure out how to sell this type of experience better. I am going to look into these companies and see if I can find something and of course keep applying to whatever else I see. Thanks!
Jul 28, 2005
245 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Sanctumus wrote: I worked for a consumer goods company as a regulatory manager. Dealt with compliance in terms of product formulation, packaging, responding to requests by health and environment Canada in the form of reports e.t.c

It was for personal care products such as shampoos, anti-perspirants e.t.c. I do have to figure out how to sell this type of experience better. I am going to look into these companies and see if I can find something and of course keep applying to whatever else I see. Thanks!

Perhaps you can leverage this into a business operations role like supply chain management/analyst or quality assurance etc? Your work with product formulation and packaging are all part of the supply chain and this experience definitely sounds pretty valuable and seems like you did a lot. If you don't limit yourself to 'chemical engineering' roles and expand your searches to business operations I think it will open up more opportunities.

An example of some companies you can try is Walmart, P&G, Unilever, L'oreal etc. They're all consumer staples and it sounds like your experience with the tissue paper plant and personal care products will definitely help.

Goodluck! Forget about the master program.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Op from reading your post and responses, you shouldn't be having any problems during interviews as you are clearly articulating well.
Your resume likely needs an overhaul with focus on your work experience rather than "engineering" specifics.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
Did OP ever found a job.

I hope op went to US now making 6 figures laughing all the way to bank

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)