465 upvotes

Request To File A Return Form

thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
3137 posts
179 upvotes
It is totally normal. They just want to know if you owe them money and if you do there will be penalties and interest.
Do your mortgage math correctly!
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Yeah, it means that a human being at the CRA is going to look at your filing. Whereas, if you had filed on-time, your returns would have only been subject to statistical analysis and automated verification.

It is very likely that the return you do file will be subject to enhanced scrutiny.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Jun 4, 2007
348 posts
7 upvotes
Its best to files ASAP. You can't win by waiting.

If you owe them, the interest keeps piling on every month since last May until you file and pay.

If they owe you a refund, they don't refund you until you file but the government doesn't pay you the interest on the money that it'd earn if you have it.

Even if they only owe a refund of 10bucks I'd rather have my money back to buy lunch tomorrow than have it with revenue canada.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2006
1825 posts
465 upvotes
Thanks for the quick responses everybody!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I do not know if these letters are automatic but not filing IF you owe is a criminal offence. (But given what you've said, you probably don't owe. But they don't know that.)

Just file it completely and truthfully.
Don't screw with the CRA, they have practically unlimited powers to mess with you.
- casual gastronomist -
Oct 26, 2009
11 posts
GTA
tamper wrote: Its best to files ASAP. You can't win by waiting.

If you owe them, the interest keeps piling on every month since last May until you file and pay.

If they owe you a refund, they don't refund you until you file but the government doesn't pay you the interest on the money that it'd earn if you have it.

Even if they only owe a refund of 10bucks I'd rather have my money back to buy lunch tomorrow than have it with revenue canada.

They do pay interest on refunds. In the OP's case, they have 30 days after the return is filed to process it and issue the refund before interest starts accruing.

File for refunds ASAP and get your money back. If you have to pay then file on April 30.

From the CRA website:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... y-eng.html
Jun 4, 2007
348 posts
7 upvotes
Asta wrote: They do pay interest on refunds. In the OP's case, they have 30 days after the return is filed to process it and issue the refund before interest starts accruing.

File for refunds ASAP and get your money back. If you have to pay then file on April 30.

From the CRA website:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... y-eng.html
I wasn't talking about interest on the refund after you file. I was talking about the interest on the money for all the time the money has been sitting at the Treasury Board between when the taxes were paid and when he filed.

If I overpaid my 2008 taxes by 10,000 and didn't file till today. I would not be getting interest back to last May. If I had filed on time and gotten my refund, it may have earned a couple hundred bucks or more if I had invested it.

When I was younger I knew a guy that didn't file for like 5 years. He'd be out 5 years of interest.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
Did you owe money on the last return you did file?

If so, they probably assume you are going to owe again, they want that money plus P&I.

They usually don'T hound people that continually get refunds.

Either that, or they got information (I.E. T4 or T5) from a 3rd party and based on their analysis you owe. Probably not the case as you said you weren't employed.

Even if you had no income, you should file - you may be eligible for the GST credit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)