• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2018 4:35 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2017 upvotes
Scarborough

Requesting raw pizza from Pizza Chain

Why is it we are allowed to purchase RAW frozen pizza from grocery stores but pizza chains don't allow to sell uncooked pizza to customers? What's the difference?

I would love to purchase raw pizza and freeze it myself so that I can cook it at my leisure. Any thoughts?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
My hot take is that if you didn't prepare the frozen pizza correctly, then you wouldn't have the product made to the standards of that company. This would open up the opportunity for giving a negative impression of the company and bad publicity. The pizza chain selling you their product made to their specifications leaves less room for a negative experience.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18146 upvotes
ONTARIO
OrangeBerry wrote: Why is it we are allowed to purchase RAW frozen pizza from grocery stores but pizza chains don't allow to sell uncooked pizza to customers? What's the difference?

I would love to purchase raw pizza and freeze it myself so that I can cook it at my leisure. Any thoughts?
Since they are a take out joint and not a grocery store or grocery food type provider... Most cities have bylaws on what a restaurant should do.
For example... they have to cook their food to a safe temperature. If they sell you a raw pizza... You could eat it... sue them... I know i know. you aren't an idiot that will eat a raw pizza... but all it takes is one complaint.. then the inspector shows up and says "did you seriouly sell a raw pizza?"
"uhh... some guy said he wanted to cook it himself."
"Bend over and lube up your arse mate."

Now the pizza store owner goes bankrupt. His wife divorces him. He loses custody of the kids. He does on a downward spiral of alcoholism and fentanyl abuse and ends up dead in an alley way.

thats rough man.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
Geeze this thread got dark in a hurry.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8587 posts
5370 upvotes
papa murphys has take & bake pizza. They don't seem to be doing too well though, at least in Canada
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Why is it we are allowed to purchase RAW frozen pizza from grocery stores but pizza chains don't allow to sell uncooked pizza to customers? What's the difference?

An uncooked pizza is messy. It's floppy and the quality degrades the longer it sits there with toppings and sauce before being cooked. And good luck throwing the box in your warm car and driving home with your groceries it's going to be even more of a mess.
It's impossible to transfer the uncooked pizza onto your oven grates. You'd need to have a pizza stone or steel or something similar and even then it would be hard to transfer. Or if you want to freeze it then you'd need a freezer with a large enough space for the pizza to sit flat to freeze. Not many people have that.

A frozen pizza is designed specifically so you can cook it easily in your oven. They are completely different animals. The ingredients will be prepared slightly different and dough different for each purpose.

Sounds like you should buy a baking steel plate, and learn to make pizza dough. It's not that hard and pretty fun!
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11167 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Since they are a take out joint and not a grocery store or grocery food type provider... Most cities have bylaws on what a restaurant should do.
For example... they have to cook their food to a safe temperature. If they sell you a raw pizza... You could eat it... sue them... I know i know. you aren't an idiot that will eat a raw pizza... but all it takes is one complaint.. then the inspector shows up and says "did you seriouly sell a raw pizza?"
"uhh... some guy said he wanted to cook it himself."
"Bend over and lube up your arse mate."

Now the pizza store owner goes bankrupt. His wife divorces him. He loses custody of the kids. He does on a downward spiral of alcoholism and fentanyl abuse and ends up dead in an alley way.

thats rough man.
Lol, where do you come to with these..... ? :)
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote: Sounds like you should buy a baking steel plate, and learn to make pizza dough. It's not that hard and pretty fun!
And you'll quickly learn that you're paying $30 for mostly flour/water, and that you can make it yourself for $3 in ingredients.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
Get a stand mixer. Making pizza dough is pretty easy and cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
grocery stores use a different dough/crust than the pizza pizza type places so you can't just freeze fresh pizza dough and expect it to look like the mccain or delicio ones. their dow is partially cooked so it maintains its shape thas why you only cook it for 10 to 15 mins where as the raw dow needs a good 25 to 30 mins or its free
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: grocery stores use a different dough/crust than the pizza pizza type places so you can't just freeze fresh pizza dough and expect it to look like the mccain or delicio ones. their dow is partially cooked so it maintains its shape thas why you only cook it for 10 to 15 mins where as the raw dow needs a good 25 to 30 mins or its free
nowhere close to 25 minutes to cook
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
well then you eat it undercooked, I prefer it well down i mean well done
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: well then you eat it undercooked, I prefer it well down i mean well done
No, I cook them properly. At 25 minutes your pizza will be burnt to a crisp in any commercial pizza oven.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
they do not just measure the time it takes they also measure the temperature, if you put it too high yes it will burn, you gotta put the correct temperature, so you are not totally correct my friend
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gutty96 wrote: Lol, where do you come to with these..... ? :)
He's the cannabis expert :P
That's where Smiling Face With Open Mouth
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: they do not just measure the time it takes they also measure the temperature, if you put it too high yes it will burn, you gotta put the correct temperature, so you are not totally correct my friend
Yes I know that, I have cooked in many commercial kitchens with pizza ovens. However you will not find any pizza chains or restaurants that keep their ovens at so low a temperature. You will not find a single restaurant in Toronto that does.

That's just a recipe for a badly made pizza and poorly executed service.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)