Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 13, 2014
403 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON

reselling china made products in canada

Since alot of items sold in canada are in the mid to high price range. I am thinking of reselling china made items online (bubble gum to cars).
The only problem I am having is to find a somewhat fast means to transport the items. I do not want to carry too much inventory especially on slow moving items. Did not realize shipping could be so expensive if you want fast speed. Some member said shipping from china is free, can someone clarify this?
16 replies
Jul 10, 2005
763 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Some chinese online stores offer "free shipping" because it's actually subsidized by the chinese govt through their post office. Usually no tracking provided and no assurance how many weeks it may take.

If you offer the same products you'd need to offer some advantage or differentiator from what those stores offer directly to retail. Stocking in Canada and fast shipping can be such advantage, but it will likely make your product more expensive.
Chinese industry made their goal in life to be fiercely competitive, and it may be difficult to beat them at their game.
Jan 21, 2012
362 posts
61 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Through Alibaba/Ali Express you can buy anything you want.

The problem is you hit middle man and some fraudulent people.
I remember i bought these items from one seller.... he promised a dozen units.... shipped them. had tracking...
i only got 2...once i accepted the shipping and signed off on it.... i got screwed..
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Just to give you all a heads up, the OP is "skillfully" trolling the Home and Garden sub forum right now relating to Chinese made products.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
Timetobuychina wrote: Since alot of items sold in canada are in the mid to high price range. I am thinking of reselling china made items online (bubble gum to cars).
The only problem I am having is to find a somewhat fast means to transport the items. I do not want to carry too much inventory especially on slow moving items. Did not realize shipping could be so expensive if you want fast speed. Some member said shipping from china is free, can someone clarify this?
Judging by your username you should already know this plus some. Nothing in this world is free.
Banned
Sep 13, 2014
403 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dani_toronto wrote: Some chinese online stores offer "free shipping" because it's actually subsidized by the chinese govt through their post office. Usually no tracking provided and no assurance how many weeks it may take.

If you offer the same products you'd need to offer some advantage or differentiator from what those stores offer directly to retail. Stocking in Canada and fast shipping can be such advantage, but it will likely make your product more expensive.
Chinese industry made their goal in life to be fiercely competitive, and it may be difficult to beat them at their game.
Appreciate the valuable information!
Appak02 wrote: Through Alibaba/Ali Express you can buy anything you want.

The problem is you hit middle man and some fraudulent people.
I remember i bought these items from one seller.... he promised a dozen units.... shipped them. had tracking...
i only got 2...once i accepted the shipping and signed off on it.... i got screwed..
Would looking for the number of years in business help? Gold supplier over the regular ones?
cwb27 wrote: Just to give you all a heads up, the OP is "skillfully" trolling the Home and Garden sub forum right now relating to Chinese made products.
Who is trolling? seems you are trolling in my thread here my friend.
ichpen wrote: Judging by your username you should already know this plus some. Nothing in this world is free.
I am not an expert and do not know it all like all rfders here. I know there is no free lunch and was looking into the free shipping some member was talking about.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Are they fake?
these are not fake, just china brand products like stoves, air conditioners, televisions, rangehoods, etc.... they work for what it was intended for but at a ridiculous low price.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Timetobuychina wrote: Who is trolling? seems you are trolling in my thread here my friend.
Nah, the bunch of us are trying to get you to be honest.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
It's a lot of headache imo and not worth it
Banned
Sep 13, 2014
403 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
george__ wrote: It's a lot of headache imo and not worth it
I was looking at furniture too. They are really heavy and bulky but super cheap compared to ikea. The styling is quite update too boot. Sofas, dining tables and chairs make it a no brainer to buy them off alibaba but the logistics, time for shipping is another concern I need to sort out. Only carrying inventory can solve this?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4497 posts
725 upvotes
There is certain products that is still profitable to resell.

1. You need to buy from manufacturers not some third party online.
2. You have to buy certain amount and have it ship by ground (sea) container
3. Storage if you have garage or basement for starter

But you're late to the game. Not that you won't be successful but you just have lots of hard work a head of you.

There are certain NA products that can be sell to China.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
The OP is a total troll, so don't bother wasting your time responding to this thread.
Banned
Sep 13, 2014
403 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
balance wrote: There is certain products that is still profitable to resell.

1. You need to buy from manufacturers not some third party online.
2. You have to buy certain amount and have it ship by ground (sea) container
3. Storage if you have garage or basement for starter

But you're late to the game. Not that you won't be successful but you just have lots of hard work a head of you.

There are certain NA products that can be sell to China.
So when you are late to the game you would need a lot more capital to compete? After my home Reno project is finished I should still have a little under 100k. Do you think that would be enough as a start up?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
You have to identify a niche and find good products to fill that niche, one good product is not going to cut it but you can start out with just one good product, eventually if the niche you pick is a good one then you can have an ecosystem of products and accessories related to that product. For instance lets say you find a really nice plasma cutting machine, and you start importing that and selling it, well associated with that machine are probably a number of different fittings, lubrication, wearable parts that need to be replaced, perhaps it has a connection to a computer and so you should carry cables, perhaps you can charge extra for onsite repairs and training. Eventually if things work out then you can expand your niche and get into other types of cutting machines, lazer engravers, etc....

From what I hear it costs 5k to ship a container from china to Canada, the 5k is not really the killer, you gotta have the capital to fill the the container to the brim with product which might be hundreds of thousands of dollars. If that deal goes south then you have just lost all your life savings.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Oct 14, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
toalan wrote: You have to identify a niche and find good products to fill that niche, one good product is not going to cut it but you can start out with just one good product, eventually if the niche you pick is a good one then you can have an ecosystem of products and accessories related to that product. For instance lets say you find a really nice plasma cutting machine, and you start importing that and selling it, well associated with that machine are probably a number of different fittings, lubrication, wearable parts that need to be replaced, perhaps it has a connection to a computer and so you should carry cables, perhaps you can charge extra for onsite repairs and training. Eventually if things work out then you can expand your niche and get into other types of cutting machines, lazer engravers, etc....

From what I hear it costs 5k to ship a container from china to Canada, the 5k is not really the killer, you gotta have the capital to fill the the container to the brim with product which might be hundreds of thousands of dollars. If that deal goes south then you have just lost all your life savings.
It's not true for 5k freight cost for a container. Only abt 2k ocean port to port.
Oct 14, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Timetobuychina wrote: So when you are late to the game you would need a lot more capital to compete? After my home Reno project is finished I should still have a little under 100k. Do you think that would be enough as a start up?
Plan ahead and do your market research.

If you think you still can do it, just do it. Any money for start up is enough.

Buy small quantity for a test. Then drop shipping maybe a solution for minimizing inventory.
Banned
Sep 13, 2014
403 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toalan wrote: You have to identify a niche and find good products to fill that niche, one good product is not going to cut it but you can start out with just one good product, eventually if the niche you pick is a good one then you can have an ecosystem of products and accessories related to that product. For instance lets say you find a really nice plasma cutting machine, and you start importing that and selling it, well associated with that machine are probably a number of different fittings, lubrication, wearable parts that need to be replaced, perhaps it has a connection to a computer and so you should carry cables, perhaps you can charge extra for onsite repairs and training. Eventually if things work out then you can expand your niche and get into other types of cutting machines, lazer engravers, etc....

Thanks for information but I am looking at furniture. It is heavy and bulky but what products I can sell as accessories with it? I just see the spread in prices retail here is very attractive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)