Site Comments & Suggestions

(Resolved) Is it ethical to modify old threads (without permission of OP) and merge new deals with it?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2017 1:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
1976 posts
1377 upvotes
Toronto

(Resolved) Is it ethical to modify old threads (without permission of OP) and merge new deals with it?

Edit: I misunderstood the whole situation. only leaving the content up so that people know what TomRFD is referring to.

I made a thread on a cheap 78 inch 4k Costco TV, it received a lot of attention within a couple of minutes (over 100 in thread within the first couple of minutes)

rca-78-4k-120hz-led-tv-1799-free-shippi ... #p28324743

Moderator Eladmk dug up an old "Visions Canada" thread that was long expired on the same TV, replaced its content with the Costco information I posted. (I know a Moderator edited it because the OP of the thread hasn't been on since august.)

Then he merged my thread with the thread he dug up.

So if this is allowed, any moderator, who sees a deal that has the potential to attract a lot of thumb up, can dig up an old thread, modify it, and merge the deal with said old thread, effectively denying the actual deal poster any credit, either for the purpose of sabotaging a poster he doesn't like, or for the purpose of rewarding a poster he likes.

I want to emphasize that I only care about thumbs up to a very limited degree, this thread is not about the "virtual credit" I would have been entitled to.

i think the bigger issue here is: when reddit CEO spez edited a post on reddit without leaving a trace, he was called out and asked to resign, Eladmk is effectively doing something significantly worse.
Last edited by Glancealot on Oct 10th, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
2 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8366 posts
12708 upvotes
Scarborough
Glancealot wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 1:19 pm
(I know a Moderator edited it instead of the OP because the OP of the thread hasn't been on since august.)
Here's what I see:

The original posters online status is private so their last online date doesn't update. You can look at their posting history to see that they've been active this entire time.

This post is where they indicated they made the update to their thread: rca-78-4k-120hz-led-tv-1799-free-shippi ... #p28319716

Your thread was started 2 days after that. rca-78-4k-120hz-led-tv-1799-free-shippi ... #p28324743
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
1976 posts
1377 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 1:38 pm
Here's what I see:

The original posters online status is private so their last online date doesn't update. You can look at their posting history to see that they've been active this entire time.

This post is where they indicated they made the update to their thread: rca-78-4k-120hz-led-tv-1799-free-shippi ... #p28319716

Your thread was started 2 days after that. rca-78-4k-120hz-led-tv-1799-free-shippi ... #p28324743
I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Thank you for addressing this issue and I will continue to contribute to RFD.
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.