• May 17th, 2018 2:37 pm
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga

(RESOLVED) Older AM4 processor needed to upgrade BIOS

Update
Just letting you all know the outcome.
A fellow RFD member reached out to me via PM and said that he had purchased an older AM4 socket processor. He allowed me to use it to flash my BIOS and it worked perfectly.
This guy is awesome and I can't believe his generosity.

I had contacted AMD prior to that and they said that I had to contact the motherboard vendor to see if they'd perform the update otherwise AMD would send me the loaner APU.
I heard back from Gigabyte after approx 5 business days at which time I'd already met up with my fellow RFD member and flashed my BIOS.

If you're in this situation, contacting AMD is a good option;
I just got lucky.

-----------------------------------------
I bought an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU but the AM4 motherboard that I bought needs a BIOS update to get it working with the new APU.

Is there anyone in the Mississauga area that has an older AM4 processor which I could use to update my BIOS?
I know it's a long shot, but it's worth a try :)
Last edited by MattWeiler on Mar 22nd, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz || 12GB RAM || Sapphire RX-480 8GB || 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO || Silverstone 750Watt Modular PSU
73 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10325 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't get any offers, Canada Computers may upgrade the board for $20.
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
audit13 wrote: If you don't get any offers, Canada Computers may upgrade the board for $20.
Canada Computers wants $50 to do it.
AMD will apparently mail an older AM4 processor to perform the upgrade, but I figured that if I could get a local one, it'd be faster :)
i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz || 12GB RAM || Sapphire RX-480 8GB || 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO || Silverstone 750Watt Modular PSU
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3383 upvotes
I thought you only needed an external video card to do this
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
badOne wrote: I thought you only needed an external video card to do this
Are you saying that the CPU part of the APU will work with the old BIOS?
I just tried booting with just the APU but I'll give it a try tomorrow with a GPU as well.

Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10325 upvotes
Toronto
MattWeiler wrote: Canada Computers wants $50 to do it.
AMD will apparently mail an older AM4 processor to perform the upgrade, but I figured that if I could get a local one, it'd be faster :)
Damn, I heard it was $20. Thanks for the heads up.
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
audit13 wrote: Damn, I heard it was $20. Thanks for the heads up.
Ya I was shocked too.
The Canada Computers in Mississauga just offered to do it for $50.
When I called the Canada Computers in Milton, the guy there told me about AMD providing older processors for free.
But he noted that his location too would have to charge $50 if I wanted them to do it.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
I thought all new end boards/chipset allows you to instant flash via USB without even a working processor? What gives then?

I know you can flash a z170 chipset board that only has the latest BIOS updates for Skylake but not for Kabylake and you can flash to the latest BIOS and the chip works, no need for this ....
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
heyyahblah wrote: I thought all new end boards/chipset allows you to instant flash via USB without even a working processor? What gives then?

I know you can flash a z170 chipset board that only has the latest BIOS updates for Skylake but not for Kabylake and you can flash to the latest BIOS and the chip works, no need for this ....
My board is a Gigabyte and it doesn't support flashing without a CPU.
I think it's just high end Asus boards that support that... But I could be wrong.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
MattWeiler wrote: My board is a Gigabyte and it doesn't support flashing without a CPU.
I think it's just high end Asus boards that support that... But I could be wrong.
Hmm, OK ... I guess it's only then highend boards like X99, X299, X399. Well that sucks. $50 is a rip-off for CC to charge that much for a 5 minute job. Have you tried calling any local mom & pop computer stores to see if they would do it for cheaper?
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
heyyahblah wrote: Hmm, OK ... I guess it's only then highend boards like X99, X299, X399. Well that sucks. $50 is a rip-off for CC to charge that much for a 5 minute job. Have you tried calling any local mom & pop computer stores to see if they would do it for cheaper?
I tried calling the computer stores in my area and they all give the same answer, no they don't do that or have any older AM4 processor :(
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
MattWeiler wrote: Are you saying that the CPU part of the APU will work with the old BIOS?
I just tried booting with just the APU but I'll give it a try tomorrow with a GPU as well.

So the short answer is no, it doesn't work :(

I put a discrete GPU into my system along with the Ryzen 2400G and it wouldn't post.
Also, I tried all of this with just 1 8GB stick of RAM.
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
I've contacted AMD to get an older loaner AM4 APU and they say that I first need to contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can do the BIOS update.
AMD wants to see proof that I did that :(

They say that if I can't get it done by the motherboard manufacturer, then they'll send me a loaner but damn, it's going to be 2-3 weeks before I get my system to boot.

So now I have to wait to hear back from Gigabyte to tell me what is already clear, that I need an older supported APU or CPU + GPU to update the BIOS.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-will-lend-y ... ryzen-apu/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
MattWeiler wrote: I've contacted AMD to get an older loaner AM4 APU and they say that I first need to contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can do the BIOS update.

They say that if I can't get it done by the motherboard manufacturer, then they'll send me a loaner but damn, it's going to be 2-3 weeks before I get my system to boot.

So now I have to wait to hear back from Gigabyte to tell me what is already clear, that I need an older supported APU or CPU + GPU to update the BIOS.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-will-lend-y ... ryzen-apu/
Act like a noob, just tell AMD that you have contacted them already and nobody can help, the shop that you bought it told you to go to motherboard manufacturer and the manufacturer told you to go to the retail shop etc. Forward the email from Gigabyte to AMD should do the trick. AMD is fast, you should get it within a week once approved. Are you sure your local CC charge $50 for it? My local CC charge $19.99 plus tax.
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
apvm wrote: Act like a noob, just tell AMD that you have contacted them already and nobody can help, the shop that you bought it told you to go to motherboard manufacturer and the manufacturer told you to go to the retail shop etc. Forward the email from Gigabyte to AMD should do the trick. AMD is fast, you should get it within a week once approved. Are you sure your local CC charge $50 for it? My local CC charge $19.99 plus tax.
lol, that's basically what I did.
I'm just waiting for Gigabyte to reply so that I can get the ball rolling with AMD.

Unfortunately, both Canada Computers near me (Mississauga & Milton) both told me that they charge $50 to do the BIOS flashing and they don't lend out CPUs or APUs.

I'm hoping that you're right and AMD is fast :)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Is the board new? Just exchange for a different model that has a newer BIOS from the factory. The Ryzen APU BIOS updates have been around for a few months now.
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
mr_raider wrote: Is the board new? Just exchange for a different model that has a newer BIOS from the factory. The Ryzen APU BIOS updates have been around for a few months now.
Yes, the board is new, but this board is ideal since it has 8 SATA ports (using it for my NAS) and it was a good price.
Also, it was on clearance so I can't return it unless it has a defect :(

I would definitely recommend that others do what you recommend though, get a board that is already updated.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
MattWeiler wrote: I've contacted AMD to get an older loaner AM4 APU and they say that I first need to contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can do the BIOS update.

LOL what? They say nothing about that here in the section about loaner CPUs:
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articl ... ootup.aspx

AMD just continuing to make false promises I guess :facepalm: :rolleyes: It's nothing new. Should've known not to trust these clowns :(
Mar 11, 2007
84 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL what? They say nothing about that here in the section about loaner CPUs:
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articl ... ootup.aspx

AMD just continuing to make false promises I guess :facepalm: :rolleyes: It's nothing new. Should've known not to trust these clowns :(
Ya, I wasn't expecting that either :(
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Try emailing Gigabyte support. If they refuse to help, that should be all the proof AMD needs.

This service is free of charge with the following condition:

Once you have submitted your claim for a processor loan boot kit, AMD will require a picture of your Ryzen with Radeon Vega graphics processor, that clearly shows the model number and unique serial number as well as a copy of the purchase invoice to authorize the request. Additionally, a summary or copy of communication with the motherboard manufacturer is requested to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)