Home & Garden

Resolved! Ridgid Battery problem? or charger?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2009 3:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11106 posts
915 upvotes
Kanata

Resolved! Ridgid Battery problem? or charger?

Sorry if this is not the right section to ask, i don't know where else it would fit in the forum.

I bought the R965 (18v drill + impact driver) with 2 li-ion batteries from Home Depot. When I put the batteries in the charger, the red light is solid, and the green light then blinks for about 10 seconds. The green light then goes off and the red light blinks. The charger info panel says that means "Evaluate". Both my batteries do this. Does this sound like a battery problem or a charger problem?

*Resolved* It appears either the charger or the batteries didn't like the cold, I had them in my garage which didn't seem that cold but maybe it is? In any case, one is charging now. Thanks to everyone!
7 replies
Sep 21, 2005
54 posts
4 upvotes
Oakville
Mine did the same thing... are they cold or hot?

Mine were cold, and the charger wouldn't charge them until they warmed up.

I ended up leaving the battery on the charger for a few hours, went back and checked on it, and it was charged.

Hope that helps.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11106 posts
915 upvotes
Kanata
safewayhome wrote:
Feb 27th, 2009 7:23 pm
Mine did the same thing... are they cold or hot?

Mine were cold, and the charger wouldn't charge them until they warmed up.

I ended up leaving the battery on the charger for a few hours, went back and checked on it, and it was charged.

Hope that helps.
Good point. They are kinda cold. I'll bring them into the house and let them warm up.
May 31, 2004
129 posts
7 upvotes
Bought the same drill about 2 weeks Tthe drill won't work if the battery is cold so I can't keep it in my truck boxes. I have to keep it in the cab. Other than that, it seems to be a great drill. I bought it to replace an 18V "Rona" brand drill which would work even in -20 weather...
Toolman11

It aint broken, it just lacks Duct tape.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14318 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
I already replaced a Rigid charger...from one of the $99 HD deals.

The repair depot said dozens of chargers were coming in DOA.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Jan 13, 2004
405 posts
41 upvotes
Vancouver
mine all work fine but there was a slight problem w/ one i bought for work last year.

when the drill was brand new, the batteries used to show up as defective after getting fully charged. after a few charges, they all worked fine. it has been a year now and they all still work perfectly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7584 posts
388 upvotes
I bought a refurb li-ion ridgid drill and right out of the box 1 of the 2 batteries was defective :( The green/red lights just blink saying error.

I contacted Ridgid and the only way I can get a replacement is through a service center and the closest is over an hour away...
× < >