• Nov 5th, 2018 8:50 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 7:14 pm
Just curious, have you ever considered opening a restaurant? You seem to have a lot of ideas on the topic of running a restaurant
My gf's cousin owns a restaurant in a very busy place where rent is high and that person does sell some other things on the side (seen on display in the restaurant) to cut down on rent expense.
(not food related, but still not a bad idea...)

Hey? HARD ROCK cafe had a store...that'a a large company, not a little guy, but at least they were only forced out by a major rent increase and not by anything else.
(They also left the Rogers centre years ago...hopefully that was also rent related)
[OP]
Jul 3, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
I was talking with a cousin from London.

He said that the Kelseys at Wellington will close.

I do not know, but if it is true it is very sad.

They have closed a lot of stores.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
PanagiotisT30459 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 8:20 pm
the Kelseys at Wellington will close.
I do not know, but if it is true it is very sad.
They have closed a lot of stores.
Maybe Cara foods has decided that Kelsey's is too much like another Cara foods restaurant close by?
Here's some old, but still very good information:
"Since Cara merged with Prime Restaurants in 2013, it decided to phase out brands in its stable that have too much of an overlap. Casey’s, a 25-unit chain, will be converted into the larger Kelseys chain and other concepts such as Fionn McCool’s, beginning in July, Gregson said.
Cara will also try to attract new customers through innovating its menu, something many full-service restaurants have been slow to do."
(Since the time of this source, Cara bought Pickle barrel and various other restaurants...)
Source:
https://business.financialpost.com/news ... oost-sales
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4539 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
Don't drive by Yonge & 16th often and noticed Lonestar closed for good on the NE corner of the intersection.
I wonder how long they can survive.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4118 posts
775 upvotes
Regina
Taco Bell pulled out of Saskatchewan years back when they had the KFC/Taco Bell shops, now I think there is a stand alone in Saskatoon again...always preferred them over Taco Time. Arby's are falling off...as said before Pizza Huts, Kelseys, Chillis, Bonanza
Aug 29, 2010
283 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
I'm pretty sure this place was somewhat popular if you lived in Scarborough, but I used to go to Burger Palace for years with my dad, the one in Bridlewood Mall. It was owned by a Greek guy since forever.

They had very good burgers and typical Greek/Canadian diner fare, Steak on a Kaiser, chicken burgers, sandwiches, etc. I think they were best known for their fries and gravy though. Towards the end they started doing a $4 poutine that was phenomenal.

After the owner retired he sold it to some random Chinese people, and they pretty much stopped caring and the restaurant went downhill. I think it closed like 2 years ago but it still makes me upset, whatever his gravy recipe was, combined with their fries, was amazing.

h2o- wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 9:14 am
Don't drive by Yonge & 16th often and noticed Lonestar closed for good on the NE corner of the intersection.
I wonder how long they can survive.
There's a couple out in Durham. I think it's too expensive for what you get. Montana's is a much, much better value.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7738 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
East side Marios, Licks burgers, Kenny Rogers Roasters.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1274 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 6:43 pm
That's not going to be good for business.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM Storm Trooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 6:43 pm
Licks burgers was at the Toronto CNE in the food building this year. They might also still be open in Scarborough.
East side Marios is not going anywhere. They are about to bring back their $12.99 pasta special in a few weeks. (or some sort of $12.99 special anyway...)
KRR is the only info you seem to have correct (at this time?)
Do you know something I don't?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7738 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 9:19 pm
Licks burgers was at the Toronto CNE in the food building this year. They might also still be open in Scarborough.
East side Marios is not going anywhere. They are about to bring back their $12.99 pasta special in a few weeks. (or some sort of $12.99 special anyway...)
KRR is the only info you seem to have correct (at this time?)
Do you know something I don't?
Lol. I doubt very much about Licks making any comeback.
As for East Side Marios I'm sure they are still open but very scarce in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3397 posts
1087 upvotes
Mississauga
East Side Mario’s has definitely downsized in the GTA but they’re still around.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11979 posts
1745 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Went to Milestones on Robson St. this wk only to find it was permanently closed. The only Vancouver location was on Cambie St near Broadway beside Whole Foods.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 1:38 pm
Went to Milestones on Robson St. this wk only to find it was permanently closed. The only Vancouver location was on Cambie St near Broadway beside Whole Foods.
Yeah, Milestones also left Yorkdale mall a while back. I wonder what's up with that? Cara foods isn't closing all of them as far as I know.
There is still a Milestones @ Yonge & Dundas (Toronto) and another one just outside Scarborough Town Centre.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1053 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 10:15 pm
East Side Mario’s has definitely downsized in the GTA but they’re still around.
I wish they'd "downsize" to nothing and Olive Garden comes back to Canada (or Carrabba's, or Macaroni Grill)....