Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
ericlewis91 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 8:43 am
Im hoping the Pickel Grand at sherway closes and it becomes a cheesecake LOL
I highly doubt closing any Pickle Barrel is going to happen.
Cara foods just bout them.
Unless the lease is up and rent is too high, or
unless Cara foods declares that Pickle Barrel is too much of a direct threat to one of the other Cara foods restaurants close by,
I'm pretty sure they're going to leave Pickle Barrel alone.
Here's an old article that explains that Cara foods does not want overlap. (yet today, still left some Casey's restaurants alone...perhaps to be run privately, without Cara backing.)
""Since Cara merged with Prime Restaurants in 2013, it decided to phase out brands in its stable that have too much of an overlap. Casey’s, a 25-unit chain, will be converted into the larger Kelseys chain and other concepts such as Fionn McCool’s, beginning in July, Gregson said.""
Source: https://business.financialpost.com/news ... oost-sales
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2206 posts
297 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 9:35 am
unless Cara foods declares that Pickle Barrel is too much of a direct threat to one of the other Cara foods restaurants close by,
Here's an old article that explains that Cara foods does not want overlap. (yet today, still left some Casey's restaurants alone...perhaps to be run privately, without Cara backing.)
""Since Cara merged with Prime Restaurants in 2013, it decided to phase out brands in its stable that have too much of an overlap. Casey’s, a 25-unit chain, will be converted into the larger Kelseys chain and other concepts such as Fionn McCool’s, beginning in July, Gregson said.""
Pickle Barrel at the Promenade closed but it was probably a lease issue since a lot of stores in the mall closed at the same time
Jul 6, 2008
743 posts
148 upvotes
London
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 9:35 am
hmmm sherway Joeys is so busy and the KEG... soon Cactus Club

pickle barrel is just awful....
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
ericlewis91 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 7:43 pm
pickle barrel is just awful....
Is? Or always was? It used to be a go to place for fajitas (to name one food item) back when Guacamole was included.
Cara foods recently bought them, so if they recently went downhill that's no surprise to me!
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15842 posts
2124 upvotes
Toronto
Seg'z on Oakwood closed a while ago. It's a shame. I really liked their pulled pork and their jerk chicken on macaroni.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4073 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 9:24 pm
Is? Or always was? It used to be a go to place for fajitas (to name one food item) back when Guacamole was included.
Cara foods recently bought them, so if they recently went downhill that's no surprise to me!
I'm sure Pickle Barrel will do just fine due to demographics, with our aging population and all that.
Mar 4, 2010
442 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
h2o- wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 9:14 am
Don't drive by Yonge & 16th often and noticed Lonestar closed for good on the NE corner of the intersection.
I wonder how long they can survive.
They actually moved into where the boston pizza and tilted kilt used to be at hwy 7 and hwy 404 restaurant plaza is.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39238 posts
3517 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gh05t wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 11:58 am
Lol. I doubt very much about Licks making any comeback.
As for East Side Marios I'm sure they are still open but very scarce in the GTA.
They might if MTY group does one of their legendary acquisitions and turns the franchise around.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1053 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 1:58 pm
I'm sure Pickle Barrel will do just fine due to demographics, with our aging population and all that.
Pickle Barrel is an overpriced Druxys...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 7:20 pm
They might if MTY group does one of their legendary acquisitions and turns the franchise around.
You're not very well educated on MTY group. I think you should take a closer look at what they already own before making comments like that.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1053 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 7:20 pm
I can't think of a more useless degree (or even a half-credit Continuing Education course) than one on "MTY Studies"...
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1053 upvotes
Thoroughbred Food & Drink at 304 Richmond St West (across from Cineplex Scotiabank Theatre) closes for good on Saturday the 20th. Was a nice place to go pre-theatre/pre-movie.

No I do not know of any deal involving MTY taking over the lease...
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1008 posts
272 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Pickle Barrel, especially the one at Finch and Leslie, used to be really good 30+ years ago, or maybe our standards were lower back then.
The one at Promenade had just terrible service. That problem plagued them since day one, they could never get their act together. They should have closed years ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1053 upvotes
h2o- wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 8:20 am
It's been closed for some good time. I thought they closed for another renovation (shrink down the size like what they used to be) but no good sign.

They had been in business for so long (like more than 25 years). They made very good money to start with. Trend of AYCE made them to follow the path too and was able to sustain for a while.
I know it's weeks late but I wanted to mention -- what's with that disgusting item on their menu called Avocado Seafood Salad? Ten-Ichi is the only place I've ever seen it, and since (apparently) the same staff all moved to Matsuda, now it's served over there. If you aren't familiar -- they make guacamole, mix in some chopped seafood bits into it, and BAKE IT. It looks like a baby's vomit... or diaper leavings. The thought of hot guacamole..... ugh...

Nowhere online have I found a recipe for this, so clearly it's some Ten-Ichi "exclusive" (and the menu highlights it like it's their signature dish, even tells you to order it early because it'll take the chef 25 minutes to make it!).

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/matsuda ... Oj-asd5I0Q

Ten-Ichi refugees, you should have let that recipe die with the restaurant.