Food & Drink

Restaurants that closed permanently

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2018 8:50 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1053 upvotes
And now it looks like Matsuda is "taking over" (more like, just rebranding...) the former Ten-Ichi space.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
The dumpling restaurant that replaced Master Mix hot pot on Spadina near Dundas is now closed. (That was a short life)
A new owner has purchased the restaurant and is "renovating".
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2567 posts
760 upvotes
Frank311 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 11:52 am
The Pizza Hut in Richmond Hill (Yonge st, north of 16th) has closed. There aren't many Pizza Hut restaurants remaining... soon the PH Buffet will be extinct.
They moved to majormackenzie and Leslie
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 12:11 pm
They moved to majormackenzie and Leslie
Are they operating as a full sit down restaurant or just an express location?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2567 posts
760 upvotes
PanagiotisT30459 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 8:20 pm
I was talking with a cousin from London.

He said that the Kelseys at Wellington will close.

I do not know, but if it is true it is very sad.

They have closed a lot of stores.
Kelsey’s are Leslie and Elgin mills closed a couple months ago. Replaced with Astoria, some Greek place
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2567 posts
760 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 4:44 pm
I can't think of a more useless degree (or even a half-credit Continuing Education course) than one on "MTY Studies"...
Psychology lol
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2567 posts
760 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 12:13 pm
Are they operating as a full sit down restaurant or just an express location?
No sit down, not sure if it’s callled Express.
Has a bench table and seats, not many
It’s not a restaurant though, more like a pizza pizza but 1 table

I think there’s a sit down near Markville. I’ve never been

I just googled locations and there’s one at Bathurst and majormackenzie too
Which is only 2 streets from Yonge and 16th where the one closed
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6252 posts
2330 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 3:25 pm
Pickle Barrel, especially the one at Finch and Leslie, used to be really good 30+ years ago, or maybe our standards were lower back then.
The one at Promenade had just terrible service. That problem plagued them since day one, they could never get their act together. They should have closed years ago.
The Pickel Barrel at Finch and Leslie was the first one I ever tried a few years ago and we'd go for breakfast, lunch or cheap drinks on occasion. The food is typical average chain food imo but the problem with this place is that the menu is so ridiculously huge that it suffers in a sort of jack of all trades master of none way. The simpler stuff like breakfast, burgers and sandwiches are generally good though and it's hard to complain with how cheap everything is. Don't think we've ever spent more than like $40 for a full meal with drinks after tax and tip for 2 people
Aug 12, 2012
647 posts
160 upvotes
Richmond Hill
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 12:24 pm
No sit down, not sure if it’s callled Express.
Has a bench table and seats, not many
It’s not a restaurant though, more like a pizza pizza but 1 table

I think there’s a sit down near Markville. I’ve never been

I just googled locations and there’s one at Bathurst and majormackenzie too
Which is only 2 streets from Yonge and 16th where the one closed
Yeah the sit down near Markville is one of the last ones. The only thing I liked about Pizza Hut was the buffet, but those locations are dwindling.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
Frank311 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 10:20 pm
Yeah the sit down near Markville is one of the last ones.
I wonder if the location @ Dufferin mall is going to close. Just a hop skip and jump down Bloor (not far from Ossington) a Pizza hut express opened up.
The two are awful close together.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1008 posts
272 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
The Tim Hortons at the southeast corner of Finch and Bathurst (there's also one on the northwest corner) has closed. Odd because it was always very busy. Maybe its just for renovations.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
Oct 30th, 2018 10:48 pm
The Tim Hortons at the southeast corner of Finch and Bathurst (there's also one on the northwest corner) has closed. Odd because it was always very busy. Maybe its just for renovations.
Most likely renovations:

Head office is going ahead with renovations against the wishes of the franchise owners who believe it's "ill conceived"... https://business.financialpost.com/news ... -conceived

Also on the topic of this thread: Anyone notice TH is swallowing up several former Countrystyle locations? I see from google maps that one of the TH's @ Finch & Bathurst used to be a CountryStyle.
The one @ Keele & St. Clair will soon be a Tim Hortons also.

Another former Countrystyle, now TH, can be spotted @ Victoria Park near Ellesmere, with a Mr. Sub still present on the same property. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Victo ... -79.315188

I fear for them that the Countrystyle days @ Dupont & Spadina are numbered, knowing that Krispy Kreme just opened up practically right next door to them, just down the street on the same side, near Dupont Subway station.

RIP Countrystyle?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1008 posts
272 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
The Timmy's at Finch and Bathurst that you are talking about (not the one that just closed, the other one, on the northwest corner) was a short-lived Starbucks before Timmy's took it over. Its been a few years since it was a Country Style. If memory serves, that space sat empty for quite some time between the Country Style closing and the Starbucks opening. The Starbucks lasted for maybe a couple of years at most. I stood on that corner waiting for half my life waiting for my daily bus to work. The few times that I'd pop in, it was never busy and I got served right away, even though it was the height of the morning rush.

With respect to Country Style, the one at Bathurst and Wilson is still going strong. Its usually quite busy but its sad. You'll see maybe 1/2 a tray of doughnuts on display, at most. I live 2 min. away and would love to see that whole corner condo-ized. Don't get me started on that horrible eyesore furniture store just behind it (that's for another thread).

The Country Style on Yonge just south of Steeles is now a Starbucks. It had been a CS since I was a kid, at least 40+ years in that location.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
Oct 31st, 2018 9:18 pm
Don't get me started on that horrible eyesore furniture store just behind it (that's for another thread).
It's a classic indeed, but yeah, good for another thread. Now, if it were a restaurant, we could take a wild guess at how much longer it'll be around (ie when older family retires, will younger family take over or sell the building?)...then again, how is Sea-Hi (across the street & down a bit) doing anyway? There's another classic for ya!
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4539 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
Drove by there on the weekend, saw the temp banner hanging high.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 8:38 pm
And now it looks like Matsuda is "taking over" (more like, just rebranding...) the former Ten-Ichi space.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)