Food & Drink

Restaurants that might not be around much longer

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 9:27 am
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
there's restaurants that actually serve wings with the bone taken out? it's not like it's hard to do it yourself lol. every time ive ever seen a boneless wing it was just a shaped chicken breast, this is all brand new to me. for some reason the image of some guy deboning 30 chicken wings for me in the back is really unappetizing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:02 pm
there's restaurants that actually serve wings with the bone taken out?
It's usually reserved for fancy restaurants because it's a ton of work.
it's not like it's hard to do it yourself lol.
Sure, but when you have to do 500 of them? It does take time.
every time ive ever seen a boneless wing it was just a shaped chicken breast, this is all brand new to me.
That's what it is 99.9% of the time. This is also why the name is stupid because it's not a boneless wing. It's a damn nugget.
for some reason the image of some guy deboning 300 chicken wings for me in the back is really unappetizing.
Fixed.
And yeah it's not really pleasant to look at. Nor is it fun to do.
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 5:23 pm
Oh I'm fully aware of that. I was hoping that their nuggets were going to be at least decent because I like a good nugget.

I'm actually surprised someone wrote out a recipe to bone wings.... Most of it is nugget based.
That said, that's a lot of ducking work if it's just for me. If I'm impressing a new date or in laws or something? I'll bone everything.

But if it's just for me? I'll just eat them with a bone.
Commercial fast food/restaurant "boneless wings"/chicken nuggets/chicken poppers are all virtually the same freaking thing, just given a pointless different name.

That's why people who want an actual "boneless wing" would want to have a recipe that they can access to making themselves when they're so remotely available when going to eat out, unless you order specially and in advance like you said.

Fresh wings you can buy much cheaper and only make enough for yourself for that time so they cook better, take lesser time to prepare and taste freshest if you prepare like 10 or 20 if for two people. Could be done in under an hour of making them. Ok once in a while.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3331 posts
2533 upvotes
Boneless chicken...

Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Nov 25, 2015
65 posts
51 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
Boneless wings is a fancy name for adults who don't want to admit to eating chicken nuggets with sauce on them.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1427 posts
201 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
May 20th, 2018 12:44 pm
For Canada, I'd say some (not all) of the following won't be around for long...

Lick's (good riddance)
Arby's
Denny's
Perkins
Kelsey's
Casey's
Crabby Joe's
South Street Burger
Fatburger
Second Cup
Coffee Culture
Krispy Kreme
Most of those Restaurants listed are not in Western Canada,
Krispy Kreme tried but didn’t last long.

We do have a Starbucks, Denny’s , Fatburger, Second cup,Kelsey’s and Arby’s.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14675 posts
2740 upvotes
Toronto
likethewine wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:03 pm
Boneless wings is a fancy name for adults who don't want to admit to eating chicken nuggets with sauce on them.
Actually, if you've ever had boneless wings at some places, they're just too big to be called nuggets...jumbo nuggets maybe?
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
Perkins is definitely in Western Canada in fact it was in Winnipeg long before it was anywhere else in Canada
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:57 am
Actually, if you've ever had boneless wings at some places, they're just too big to be called nuggets...jumbo nuggets maybe?
I mean... jumbo wings are still wings.
Jumbo nuggets are still nuggets.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14675 posts
2740 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:20 pm
I mean... jumbo wings are still wings.
Jumbo nuggets are still nuggets.
Right...and then some clown came up with the name "Jumbo popcorn chicken". :twisted:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:46 pm
Right...and then some clown came up with the name "Jumbo popcorn chicken". :twisted:
I mean... popcorn chicken is just really small nuggets.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
7273 posts
2360 upvotes
Toronto
Maple Yip in Scarborough Ontario closing in 6 months
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from these knowledge and information.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14675 posts
2740 upvotes
Toronto
Pochacco wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:10 am
Maple Yip in Scarborough Ontario closing in 6 months
Is the whole Mid town plaza going? OR just the restaurant? Good spot to tear down and rebuild taller, with retail on the main floor.
Then again, there is still empty abandoned land across the street on Midland @ Sheppard to deal with first, maybe?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
7273 posts
2360 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 3:49 am
Is the whole Mid town plaza going? OR just the restaurant? Good spot to tear down and rebuild taller, with retail on the main floor.
Then again, there is still empty abandoned land across the street on Midland @ Sheppard to deal with first, maybe?
No, just the restaurant not renewing the lease. The owner is taking a break.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from these knowledge and information.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3331 posts
2533 upvotes
Wow, I'd expect to see this at a Tim Horton's, but A&W? Winnipeg, you disappoint me...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4946925/inte ... estaurant/

Comedic treatment to the story: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/02/st ... hru-order/
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.