Restaurants that might not be around much longer

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2023 12:25 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Chickinvic wrote: Just tell her you want the other one. You are the paying customer.
Spadina branch. Terrible customer service. The cashier guy talks both sides of his mouth. I didnt even get to see it. The lady placed it in the bag already and didnt realize till I opened it at home.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Five Guys is just meh and overrated to me.
I wish we had Shake Shack, Smashburger*, and/or In-N-Out but until we do, Five Guys is my choice. Blows away all of Harveys, Lick's, South Street, Works, Wendy's....
I definitely prefer the "smash on the flat top" burger style over the open flame grilling.

* mentioned in earlier post, we do have one of these but it's post-security at Pearson Airport... so unless I'm flying somewhere, no chance
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Raggie wrote: I'm looking forward to Cactus Club opening at Sherway.
I'm all for Canadian business succeeding. East Side Mario's has been here around long before Olive Garden (I'm not saying I'm a fan of east side Mario's) . A Crabby Joe opened at Dundas and Dixie.
Still prefer Coffee Culture and no need to disparage them. There's room for other coffee shops other than Starbucks, which I haven't been a customer of in three years. In fact I wish there were even more options for coffee shops (love Aroma Cafe as well).
BTW, most of the restos mentioned are chains.... Prefer not to eat at chain restaurants. We need more indie, creative places. Let's support the little guy and local businesses.
OK, you left me several issues to tackle so I'll try my best here.

Here's my take on any and all of: Cactus Club, Earl's, Joey's, Kelsey's, Jack Astor's, Crabby Joe's, Shoeless Joe's, Montana's, Moxie's, Milestones, Pickle Barrel, WATTS, and so on. I call them all by one name: McSYSCO Bar and Grill. Because they all serve pretty much the same crap that was delivered frozen from the back of a SYSCO or GFS truck to be reheated and served. There's no imagination or originality in the menus. They're identical. About all they differ in is decor (and even that's got too many common elements, right down to the female waitstaff's skimpy/tight outfits). So they're selling crappy frozen/reheated food at huge markups, and of course beer and cocktails (waitstaff always trying to upsell this season's "hot" cocktail...) at even bigger markups. Why anybody would be proud to support these places is beyond me. They're trash. I never willingly choose to dine at any of them. Remember those Pinty's commercials for "pub style wings" that go from freezer to oven to plate? There's a lot of truth to that....

I'm all for giving my business to places that serve me food I like at a price I'm happy with. If the place is Canadian, so be it. If it's American, even better. I prefer NOT to send foreign investors packing. Are you suggesting American businesses aren't employing Canadians here? If McDonald's and Walmart were to close up shop and leave Canada, that's a lot of Canadians out of work. So don't be so fast to knock foreign business. When they open here, I SUPPORT THEM, so that more foreign businesses will invest here. Every time an American business fails here, that probably discouraged 10 others from coming. Maybe this explains why Shake Shack isn't here. They're successful everywhere else they go but they seem to be scared of Canada.

I will say that, if I feel like breakfast/brunch food I prefer locally-owned Sunset Grill over Perkins. Slightly larger portions, lower prices, better tasting coffee, and faster service. So yes, the locals can and do earn my business. But if Perkins had lower prices and larger portions I'd be there instead.

When I'm downtown (which is rare) I definitely seek out the independent coffee roasters and drink their superior products rather than go to Starbucks which we have plenty of here in the 905. Fahrenheit Coffee and Sam James Coffee Bar are two of my favorites, and if I was downtown more often I'd try others. I'm hoping to soon check off Pilot, Hailed, Coffee Lab, and Istanbul Cafe off my list. However, out where I live (far from downtown), Starbucks is king, and they have a rewards program that, with minimal spend (if you hack the promos) you can earn lots of expensive free drinks. Second Cup, Timothy's, and yes, that bad Starbucks copycat joke, don't see my money. They don't deserve it. I prefer to support the real deal, not weak Canadian copycats. You're proud to have never been to a Starbucks in 3 years? Have you seen their next generation stores? Take a look at what you're missing:

https://torontolife.com/food/bakeries-a ... ne-coffee/
http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-o ... ike-2017-7

They're going to open 1000 of these in the USA and who knows how many more in Canada. Think Coffee Culture and Second Cup can match that? Not happening.
Starbucks has whupped the local weaklings, and now they're taking dead aim at the snobs and hipsters. Money talks and BS walks... and Starbucks has a lot of money, they'll be in this for the long haul.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9003 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Here's my take on any and all of: Cactus Club, Earl's, Joey's, Kelsey's, Jack Astor's, Crabby Joe's, Shoeless Joe's, Montana's, Moxie's, Milestones, Pickle Barrel, WATTS, and so on. I call them all by one name: McSYSCO Bar and Grill. Because they all serve pretty much the same crap that was delivered frozen from the back of a SYSCO or GFS truck to be reheated and served. There's no imagination or originality in the menus. They're identical.

I will say that, if I feel like breakfast/brunch food I prefer locally-owned Sunset Grill over Perkins. Slightly larger portions, lower prices, better tasting coffee, and faster service. So yes, the locals can and do earn my business. But if Perkins had lower prices and larger portions I'd be there instead.

When I'm downtown (which is rare) I definitely seek out the independent coffee roasters and drink their superior products rather than go to Starbucks which we have plenty of here in the 905. Fahrenheit Coffee and Sam James Coffee Bar are two of my favorites, and if I was downtown more often I'd try others. I'm hoping to soon check off Pilot, Hailed, Coffee Lab, and Istanbul Cafe off my list. However, out where I live (far from downtown), Starbucks is king, and they have a rewards program that, with minimal spend (if you hack the promos) you can earn lots of expensive free drinks. Second Cup, Timothy's, and yes, that bad Starbucks copycat joke, don't see my money. They don't deserve it. I prefer to support the real deal, not weak Canadian copycats.
WATTS restaurant is not a chain. It's a privately run local restaurant that has been there since 1954. https://www.wattsrestaurant.com/ They are unique in their own way. I wouldn't clump them into your list.

I don't know the new plan for Timothy's, but what about Van Houette? Guess what? MTY group bought Timmothy's. They now own both. It will be interesting to see what MTY group plans to do next now...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: OK, you left me several issues to tackle so I'll try my best here.

Here's my take on any and all of: Cactus Club, Earl's, Joey's, Kelsey's, Jack Astor's, Crabby Joe's, Shoeless Joe's, Montana's, Moxie's, Milestones, Pickle Barrel, WATTS, and so on. I call them all by one name: McSYSCO Bar and Grill. Because they all serve pretty much the same crap that was delivered frozen from the back of a SYSCO or GFS truck to be reheated and served. There's no imagination or originality in the menus. They're identical. About all they differ in is decor (and even that's got too many common elements, right down to the female waitstaff's skimpy/tight outfits). So they're selling crappy frozen/reheated food at huge markups, and of course beer and cocktails (waitstaff always trying to upsell this season's "hot" cocktail...) at even bigger markups. Why anybody would be proud to support these places is beyond me. They're trash. I never willingly choose to dine at any of them. Remember those Pinty's commercials for "pub style wings" that go from freezer to oven to plate? There's a lot of truth to that....

I'm all for giving my business to places that serve me food I like at a price I'm happy with. If the place is Canadian, so be it. If it's American, even better. I prefer NOT to send foreign investors packing. Are you suggesting American businesses aren't employing Canadians here? If McDonald's and Walmart were to close up shop and leave Canada, that's a lot of Canadians out of work. So don't be so fast to knock foreign business. When they open here, I SUPPORT THEM, so that more foreign businesses will invest here. Every time an American business fails here, that probably discouraged 10 others from coming. Maybe this explains why Shake Shack isn't here. They're successful everywhere else they go but they seem to be scared of Canada.

When I'm downtown (which is rare) I definitely seek out the independent coffee roasters and drink their superior products rather than go to Starbucks which we have plenty of here in the 905. Fahrenheit Coffee and Sam James Coffee Bar are two of my favorites, and if I was downtown more often I'd try others. I'm hoping to soon check off Pilot, Hailed, Coffee Lab, and Istanbul Cafe off my list. However, out where I live (far from downtown), Starbucks is king, and they have a rewards program that, with minimal spend (if you hack the promos) you can earn lots of expensive free drinks. Second Cup, Timothy's, and yes, that bad Starbucks copycat joke, don't see my money. They don't deserve it. I prefer to support the real deal, not weak Canadian copycats. You're proud to have never been to a Starbucks in 3 years? Have you seen their next generation stores? Take a look at what you're missing:

https://torontolife.com/food/bakeries-a ... ne-coffee/
http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-o ... ike-2017-7

They're going to open 1000 of these in the USA and who knows how many more in Canada. Think Coffee Culture and Second Cup can match that? Not happening.
Starbucks has whupped the local weaklings, and now they're taking dead aim at the snobs and hipsters. Money talks and BS walks... and Starbucks has a lot of money, they'll be in this for the long haul.
You need to move to the States.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
May 12, 2014
997 posts
822 upvotes
Markham, ON
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Come to think of it, Boston Pizza and Little Caesar's pizzas are almost identical. Thin, dry, stingy with the toppings, and made in advance to sit under a heat lamp "hot and ready"...
I think Little Caesars will be around for a long time. I understand you don't like their pizza, but "Hot and Ready" was made for a demographic in a rush and fills the niche. Every time I've gone, there's always traffic in the stores.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Raggie wrote: You need to move to the States.
Agreed. I really don't understand why someone would say they PREFER to support American businesses over Canadian business. Mind boggling. Who cares if Shake Shack is discouraged from coming here? It doesn't affect our lives in any way. There is no shortage of places to eat.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: WATTS restaurant is not a chain. It's a privately run local restaurant that has been there since 1954. https://www.wattsrestaurant.com/ They are unique in their own way. I wouldn't clump them into your list.
The others may be chains but Watts also serves reheated SYSCO crap, and they can't even get that right. Yes I've been there recently and it was one of the worst restaurant meals I've ever had the displeasure of eating. I'd have preferred Milestones...

I didn't write any of these reviews but my experience was in line with any of the bad ones. It was horrible:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/watts-restauran ... rating_asc

Like I said I support businesses that serve me food I like at a price I'm happy with. Watts failed huge on both counts. If they go out of business that's their own fault. It was pretty obvious why they're dying a slooooow death that probably started 10 years ago. I guess all the old folk that kept them open all these years have died off, and their kids and grandkids have moved away or found better places to eat.

I get the impression they used to be more of a British pub for all the old British expats in the area. Steak and kidney pies, pints of ale on tap, fish and chips with mushy peas, Sunday roast, that kind of thing. But that demographic is dying away and, well, so too is their restaurant. Trying to switch from authentic British pub to a Jack Astor's clone is the sign of a death rattle.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on May 23rd, 2018 10:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Bobberts wrote: I think Little Caesars will be around for a long time. I understand you don't like their pizza, but "Hot and Ready" was made for a demographic in a rush and fills the niche. Every time I've gone, there's always traffic in the stores.
I agree -- Little Caesar's and Boston Pizza are always busy. You won't see me there but obviously others are paying the bills....

My point was why would anybody go to BP for pizza when LC sells the same shit for 1/3 the price?
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on May 23rd, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Like I said I support businesses that serve me food I like at a price I'm happy with.
examples of that? I've only ever seen you posting about places you don't like so curious to know what you actually do enjoy
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Raggie wrote: You need to move to the States.
The Americans have a lot more McSYSCOs than we do: Applebees (which we also have here), Ruby Tuesdays, TGI Fridays, Chili's, Houlihan's, Bennigan's, and arguably Cheesecake Factory ... so if I did move there it wouldn't be to replace one set of McSYSCOs with another. My McSYSCO complaint wasn't directed at Canada, but at that specific subset of overpriced crap restaurants, which exist on both sides of the border. So my apologies if you read it that way.

I'd also gain a lot more choice in superior coffee places -- Stumptown and Intelligentsia to be sure (which are now both owned by Peet's, another nice chain) -- so I wouldn't be so reliant on Starbucks. Sorry, Coffee Culture is no Stumptown Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on May 23rd, 2018 11:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: examples of that? I've only ever seen you posting about places you don't like so curious to know what you actually do enjoy
I gave several early in the thread. So far I've already said the following:

I prefer Ruth's Chris over the others for steak (The Keg sucks, and I'm no 1%er so you won't find me at Jacob's unless somebody else is paying or I win this Friday's LottoMax).
I prefer Five Guys over any of the locals, just biding my time until hopefully Shake Shack or Smashburger expand here.
I prefer Krispy Kreme (preferably hot out of the fryer in Mississauga) over Tim Horton's (yuck).
I prefer locally-owned Sunset Grill over American invader Perkins for breakfast/brunch food.

I also gave a list of coffee places I like -- Starbucks, Sam James, and Fahrenheit.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on May 23rd, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Agreed. I really don't understand why someone would say they PREFER to support American businesses over Canadian business. Mind boggling.
Did you not read what I said immediately after that? You're not paying attention, wake up...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9003 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I also gave a list of coffee places I like -- Starbucks, Sam James, and Fahrenheit.
I think you should give Timmothy's another chance in a short while now that MTY group has taken it over.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I think you should give Timmothy's another chance in a short while now that MTY group has taken it over.
Why? I have Starbucks close to home with an excellent rewards program and excellent products, and their Reserve Bar (where I go to redeem my rewards...) is a short drive away. I don't stray from Starbucks unless I'm downtown or in the U.S.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
ReeGee wrote: examples of that? I've only ever seen you posting about places you don't like so curious to know what you actually do enjoy
He likes American chains.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Five Guys kinda sucking lately, their reluctance to add anything new or interesting whatsoever means I haven't been in an extremely long time.

The people running their Ontario franchises are extremely hard-headed and stupid. Even the Quebec locations at least brought poutine on board
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Raggie wrote: He likes American chains.
And the more the merrier! We need Shake Shack and Smashburger next!

Oh yes, Papa John's Pizza is superior to any of Pizza Pizza, Pizzaville, Free Topping Pizza, 2-4-1 Pizza, Panago, and the rest of the lame-ass locals. Score another for the Americans. I was glad to see them arrive here in the east GTA...
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on May 23rd, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.