Careers

Resume format - page number and name on every page?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2014 6:53 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 30, 2011
55 posts
16 upvotes
Ontario

Resume format - page number and name on every page?

Wish to get some feedback.

These days when you send a cover letter and resume via email, do most companies print it out on paper?

If HR Dept/Hiring Committees print them out, I am wondering whether to have my name on every page in the footer/header, and have a page number/total pages indicator (eg. page 3 of 4). Just in case pages get lost or mixed up

Or is this gratuitous?

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2674 posts
801 upvotes
Four pages? Who are you, Franklin Roosevelt?

Your resume should be one page. I think two pages is cool if you're an executive.
May 10, 2014
639 posts
86 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Don't worry. They won't waste any paper or ink/toner for your resume.
Phlegmbot wrote: Four pages? Who are you, Franklin Roosevelt?

Your resume should be one page. I think two pages is cool if you're an executive.
+1. Chances are, if they see a multiple-page resume, they won't bother to read it at all. If you are lucky, they will read only the first page and maybe a few more lines on the second page.
Small businesses or bored idle managers may read them all but you want to make a strong overall impression within 30 seconds or so.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
feflower wrote: Wish to get some feedback.

These days when you send a cover letter and resume via email, do most companies print it out on paper?

If HR Dept/Hiring Committees print them out, I am wondering whether to have my name on every page in the footer/header, and have a page number/total pages indicator (eg. page 3 of 4). Just in case pages get lost or mixed up

Or is this gratuitous?

Thanks
Yeah its called page 1 of 1. Come on man.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
You dont need those things. Keep your resume to two pages max. Cover letter, one page max... Ideally three to four paragraphs. You should be putting your cover letter in the body of the email.

If an application system wants you to submit one, put you name on it the same way you did with your resume.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6343 upvotes
Winnipeg
2 pages max, anymore than that nobody want to read it
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1220 posts
82 upvotes
if you have more than one page, by all means put the page number and names on header and footers. It means you're ISO9000 compliant.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
I think you get the point people here are trying to make. Keep it to 2 pages. It's the difference between a CV and a resume.

Lol @ ISO9000 comment.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6229 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
page number? huh? just use a stapler.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1651 posts
448 upvotes
1 page for the cover letter and 2 pages for the resume. (i.e. 3 pieces of paper total). Most of our applications come electronically, they're forwarded from HR to the Selection Committee and then printed out, so please number the resume pages (1of2, 2of2). i.e. staples won't work.

Unless you are fresh out of high school, a one-page resume gives me a first-impression that you couldn't dig up enough experience of any kind to write down.

I read the first two pages of the resume, but skip over long sentences & paragraphs. If you have 3 or more pages, you better be a Nobel prize laureate.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
I always attach staples in my email for job application, yeah!

I had to go through a hiring recently. One of the applicants included his whole undergrad research project report like 20+pages.... so cool. I almost hesistated before throwing the whole thing away, I didn't want to waste paper.

Definitely put a small name in every page tho. Some HR people may like to print out everything.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)