Careers

Resume - how to say partially finished college or taking a break?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2009 2:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary

Resume - how to say partially finished college or taking a break?

I took a break this semester, I am unclear if I am going to go back or not. I completed 3 semesters out of 6, what should I write on my resume? Should I just still write an expected graduation date? How should I mention that I am not currently in school or does that matter?
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
7 replies
Jul 28, 2008
261 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
It's a bit of a tricky situation, and how you should word it will depend largely on the type of job you're applying for.

If you don't make it explicitly known that you're currently not in school, then companies might feel you're not able to dedicate the necessary amount of time needed for the job.

If you say you're just taking a semester off and will be going back, then companies might not want to invest in training for you if they think you might be with them for only a short time.

What kind of jobs will you be applying for? As with applying to any job - put yourself in the employers shoes. Think of what the company wants out of an employee, and then tailor your resume accordingly.
IQ PARTNERS Inc. is one of Canada's Leading Executive Search & Recruitment Firms in Marketing, Communications, Digital, Media, Sales, CPG, and Technology.

Visit our Facebook page for a list of open opportunities & tips on resumes and career management - www.facebook.com/IQPartners

www.IQPartners.com
www.youtube.com/iqpartners
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
3961 posts
582 upvotes
Tijuana wrote:
Feb 5th, 2009 5:53 pm
I took a break this semester, I am unclear if I am going to go back or not. I completed 3 semesters out of 6, what should I write on my resume? Should I just still write an expected graduation date? How should I mention that I am not currently in school or does that matter?
"Candidate for xxx diploma - xxx date to yyy date". Where yyy date is a couple months ago. Put like December for yyy date. Write "Completed 3 of 6 semesters". That's how I'd do it. If someone thinks of something better, post up.

If you're applying for any full time job, then the employer's concern would be you coming into work. So don't mention an expected graduation date. As it makes them think there will be schedule conflict in the future. Don't even mention that you're going back to school at the interview.

If it's a job that requires you to have finished college, then they probably aren't going to hire you anyways. If a company is willing to hire you but also want you to finish school, say at the interview you can finish your studies part time.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
7 upvotes
I`d write "ongoing" or "enrolled" but in your case I think "drop out" would be more applicable.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
40 upvotes
ullyeus wrote:
Feb 6th, 2009 11:12 am
I`d write "ongoing" or "enrolled" but in your case I think "drop out" would be more applicable.
I would just write "present"
rems wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 12:00 pm
yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Jan 25, 2007
213 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
It depends alot on the type of work you are going for. I just graduated but sometimes I wish I still had student status, or able to say I am going back to full time studies some time in the near future.

There are lots of jobs for people taking an "Internship" but require you to return to school, big companies like RIM seem to ignore new grads with no internship or coop experience.

And there are programs like FSWEP that you are likely eligible for, that can turn into a career later on.

Just change it up depending on who you are applying for, it is rare that I ever send out the same resume more than twice. For longer term prospects just say you went to college from 2005-2008, for others say 2005-present.
Apr 21, 2008
858 posts
148 upvotes
tell 'em this.

On ur resume, put part tiem student.

In the interview, say u decided you wanted some real life experience as well as your degree or whater ur finishing. U are planning to finish ur program part time but you are goign to take correspondance so that it won't interfear with your job.

This way, it just makes it sound like you made a well thought out decision based on your career goals.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7690 posts
318 upvotes
I got my first job while thinking of dropping out of college, I just stated that courses were not demanding enough and I plan on enrolling at another institution. On your resume just put a like;

xxx uni 2002-2003

or something like that. -sg
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
× < >