Retail Pricing of phones not on contract

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2018 1:26 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes

Retail Pricing of phones not on contract

I was at Best Buy the other day. I noticed the Galaxy 9+ was listed at full retail price yet I understand it has dropped considerably in price in the USA.

Besides, Amazon, which retailer adjusts their prices of phones without contract?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
I don't think many, if any, retailers ever do. They don't have much incentive to sell you a phone off contract.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
It's only $60 off in the US, so definitely not a "substantial" price drop. (at least at Best Buy, and that might just be a sale). Again, no real incentive for retailers to drop the price as signing people up for contracts / terms is where they make the money from the carriers.

Edit - checked T-Mobile and the outright price is still $840 for the S9+ which is the same as when it launched.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Carrier phones are sold with a heavy boat anchor, aka 24 month costly phone plan.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Ok. thanks. In summary the only option is buying from Amazon or elsewhere online if there's a discount.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
Pavel wrote: I was at Best Buy the other day. I noticed the Galaxy 9+ was listed at full retail price yet I understand it has dropped considerably in price in the USA.
Why not just buy the Galaxy 9 directly at the Samsung Store? Do they have one in Vancouver?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Yes they do have a location in Metrotown. Previously they were locked to Bell before the new Legislation as I was told. Their prices are full retail though. I might buy one in Asia though if I go for visit.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
Careful with buying the S9 in Asia. For one you may be missing certain bands, and second if you end up with the Exynos variant, you'll wish you'd paid more for the Snapdragon version instead. I'll let Anandtech do the convincing. (make sure you read the full review, it's very informative)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
arkane wrote: Careful with buying the S9 in Asia. For one you may be missing certain bands, and second if you end up with the Exynos variant, you'll wish you'd paid more for the Snapdragon version instead. I'll let Anandtech do the convincing. (make sure you read the full review, it's very informative)
Good point and SD is the better version to get, imo.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
For S9 indubitably. (sorry just wanted to use that word Face With Tears Of Joy)

Ironically just two years ago, Exynos was what you wanted powering your S7.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
What you will get from an S9 outside of Canada and the US is a dual sim phone if you need that functionality. The chip found in the phone is due to a licensing issue so it depends upon the country and the chip you will get.

The other caveat of a non Canadian Samsung phone is Samsung Pay. Only phones produced for Canada will work with Canadian banks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)