• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 10:58 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2015
159 posts
139 upvotes
Dundas, ON

Retailer scanning photo ID for in-store pickup

Went to pick up an order at The Source, the guy took my driver license to the back room, then scanned it under the counter (some sort of machine there?). Is this a normal practice now? I've never had my license scanned before anywhere else.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5546 upvotes
I've had it done at bars but never for retail.

Oh and hotels too.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14654 posts
7052 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Protecting your driver’s licence - Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
If you're asked for your licence card and you feel uncomfortable with the request, you can ask why it’s needed and whether the information on your card will be recorded.

If you’re not satisfied with the answer, you can ask whether it would be possible to simply provide your name and address. If only your driver's licence will do, you could suggest that they simply examine your card, without recording excess personal information.

Failing that, you can also raise your concerns with the person responsible for the retailer’s privacy practices and procedures (often called a “privacy officer.”)

If you are not satisfied with an organization’s response to your concerns, you can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and discuss your concerns with one of our Information Officers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3749 posts
3446 upvotes
Vancouver
Could the dude just have been checking the card with a UV light? Ontario DLs have security features in them that are revealed by UV lights.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18275 posts
2946 upvotes
GTA West
I'll bet you this stuff is used for something like The Retail Equation in the US.

tl;dr - A bunch of companies gather and share information about customers so 'return abusers' can be banned from all participating stores.

Regarding bars and stuff, I saw some article about bars saving large unprotected Excel files of scanned drivers license data and sharing amongst each other, but I can't find it now. This sort of thing is why I used my passport at night clubs (when I went to them) so they can't scan it. Might be worth it just to get a foreign 'novelty ID' for these situations so they won't scan your real ID.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10324 posts
577 upvotes
Brampton
Home depot required to see my driver license for a pickup. Total bs cause they wouldn't give me the item without seeing my dl.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2427 posts
1368 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
chenw25 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:58 pm
Went to pick up an order at The Source, the guy took my driver license to the back room, then scanned it under the counter (some sort of machine there?). Is this a normal practice now? I've never had my license scanned before anywhere else.
Scanning is one thing, and I'm not a fan of that anyway. Taking your ID to a back room, where they could do whatever with it? Completely unacceptable.

At least crappy tire photocopies the ID in the presence of the customer.

I would file a formal complaint with both corporate and the privacy commissioner. You have absolutely no way of knowing about the security of your identification.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7729 posts
743 upvotes
It's pretty serious when anyone photocopies your ID, who knows what the hell they'll do with it? Send/sell it to China or Russia? Apply for credit products in your name? Those people working behind the counter are not exactly bonded, security clearance cleared. What about those businesses? How do they manage your personal information? Do they have encrypted secure mechanisms?

I'm thinking the answer to all of this is no. We've all got to stop acting like sheep and start thinking whenever anyone asks us for personal information that can be used to our determent.
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29839 posts
4627 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would not offer my drivers licence to anyone. I would just offer the confirmation email for pick up. If they refuse that. I would cancel my order and never buy there again.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14654 posts
7052 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cheapmeister wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 10:26 pm
Home depot required to see my driver license for a pickup. Total bs cause they wouldn't give me the item without seeing my dl.
Seeing and scanning are two different things. The former is legitimate to ensure a delivery is accepted by the person who placed the order. The latter is almost never legitimate and should be banned by legislation.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1078 posts
565 upvotes
St Catharines
chenw25 wrote:
I imagine that the associate who took your ID just did it so that they wouldn't have to actually memorize your name and address when looking in the back room for your web order. I know that's not the point, but let's be honest, most reps at The Source are too dumb to remember your name, let alone steal your personal info.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1876 posts
1429 upvotes
daddyho24 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:27 am
I imagine that the associate who took your ID just did it so that they wouldn't have to actually memorize your name and address when looking in the back room for your web order. I know that's not the point, but let's be honest, most reps at The Source are too dumb to remember your name, let alone steal your personal info.
Based on my experiences with The Source and any other time ID verification is needed to pick up something, ID is only used to verify, meaning they look and that's it. If they need to look for something, they print something out or write on a piece of paper and bring that with them.

Never experienced somebody needing to walk away with the ID let alone scan it. If TS had an issue about this and wanted to know if this is "normal practice now", he should have said something to the guy/a manager and/or called and asked The Source. I picked up an order the other day and neither happened to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1078 posts
565 upvotes
St Catharines
bombdiggity wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:48 am
Based on my experiences with The Source and any other time ID verification is needed to pick up something, ID is only used to verify, meaning they look and that's it. If they need to look for something, they print something out or write on a piece of paper and bring that with them.

Never experienced somebody needing to walk away with the ID let alone scan it. If TS had an issue about this and wanted to know if this is "normal practice now", he should have said something to the guy/a manager and/or called and asked The Source. I picked up an order the other day and neither happened to me.
Any time I've picked up an order at The Source, they've just gone and grabbed it from the back, then glanced at my ID.

In this case, I'm not sure why they did what they did, but I doubt it was for nefarious reasons.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2790 posts
413 upvotes
chenw25 wrote:
This is not normal, they not suppose to take your ID, even if they do they should handle it in front of you. Was the product you were picking up more then $200?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5546 upvotes
Side note: This is a secondary reason I have a PAL (Firearms license)
It contains all my relevant information (Name, Birthdate, etc) but has no address.