[OP]
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary

Retailers will be tightening up on return policies in 2014

http://tech.ca.msn.com/consumer-reports ... n-policies

2.5 billion in sales refunded every post christmas. Stores are going to start Asking for ID each time you do a return and if you do too many, you will be blacklisted and banned from the store. I wouldnt be surprised if this ext holiday return policy is gone next year.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1572 posts
511 upvotes
The story you linked doesn't contain or support any of the information you're passing off as fact. So I'm inclined to conclude that this is just your opinion.

Anyhow, most retailers I've returned items to (TRU, FS, BB, CT) require a slip to be filled out - name and phone number (which can be filled with anything).

And this clamping down on returns has been an ongoing trend. Example - Costco 's return policy on TVs.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2009
1537 posts
87 upvotes
Planet X
Just get gift cards (or give cash) for the people that you know that will just 'return' the gift days later.
In my view, that's just an ungrateful person. > :(
.... I see, a bright past ....
but it's starting to dim.
Jun 15, 2009
686 posts
160 upvotes
doctorgonzo wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 1:57 am
And this clamping down on returns has been an ongoing trend. Example - Costco 's return policy on TVs.
How has it changed or how is it strict? Does the 90 day no questions asked still apply?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1572 posts
511 upvotes
censored wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 2:13 am
How has it changed or how is it strict? Does the 90 day no questions asked still apply?
I was referring to how it used to be wide open - return any time with no time limits to the current 90 day policy.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4007 posts
628 upvotes
Richmond
MeiserT wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 1:59 am
Just get gift cards (or give cash) for the people that you know that will just 'return' the gift days later.
In my view, that's just an ungrateful person. > :(
or don't give them anything
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
263 upvotes
Kingston
Just like a Mark77 post. Not fact just clueless opinions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5028 posts
905 upvotes
Peterborough
Unlikely.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2011 upvotes
Nowhere
Most retailers stopped asking for ID for returns some time ago due to privacy concerns. I don't think they will be going back that way.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2009
1537 posts
87 upvotes
Planet X
bluebellrose wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 7:05 am
or don't give them anything
Then hear about it for the next 4 months?

Pass. :rolleyes:
.... I see, a bright past ....
but it's starting to dim.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4007 posts
628 upvotes
Richmond
MeiserT wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 7:15 pm
Then hear about it for the next 4 months?

Pass. :rolleyes:
serves them right for returning your thoughtful gift for money.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2646 posts
567 upvotes
Ottawa
Cheap Cat wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 11:53 am
Most retailers stopped asking for ID for returns some time ago due to privacy concerns. I don't think they will be going back that way.
Oh is that why they stopped? haha I like it. Speeds up the return process :)
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
164 upvotes
Bombay has it in writing on their website that you need ID for returns. Any place that asks for personal information either before or after a sale gets no business from me.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4294 posts
1345 upvotes
I think the reality is that companies are seeing margins shrink.

Prices need to be more competitive because consumers can easily compare prices and shop accordingly.

Dealing with returns add costs to a business.

If stores can reduce these costs, they can lower prices further or they can gain some margin.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7710 posts
1338 upvotes
There has already been a huge crackdown on frequent returners in the USA. Using a 3rd party to compile a return profile from many retailers may be problematic here like many big ones are doing there. Bestbuy will print out a message on your return receipt that you are banned from any returns for 90 days if you are flagged by the retail equation for excessive or suspicious return criteria from bestbuy or other stores that have nothing to do with bestbuy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... s/2642607/

With the amount of talk about buying/returning some rfders do Im sure many here would run afoul of that pretty quick. It may not be the same way here, but I suspect they be doing something to deal with those who are treating stores like libraries