• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 10:16 am
[OP]
Jan 1, 2013
601 posts
115 upvotes
Durham

Retro Gaming - What are you using?

I have a Raspberry Pi3 with Retropi paired with 2 PS3 controllers and love it. However I'm disappointed that N64 games don't work well. Specifically Mario Kart, NFL Blitz and NBA Showtime. What are you guys using?
33 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1395 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
I'm using an original xbox. For N64 emulation best option would probably be Wii or Wii U
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1400 posts
316 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
The original consoles with a flash cart, n64 and snes only though.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
Modded original Wii for me. Love using the classic controllers with emulators.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
820 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm using an Nvidia Shield for everything up to PSX and an HTPC the odd time I play Dolphin/PS2 stuff.
Oct 12, 2004
621 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
using retropie on my pi3. i've only started playing nes and snes games. i bought some cheapo usb super famicom controllers on aliexpress and its working out well. im about to order some cheapo usb genesis controllers and maybe a couple of n64 controllers just to try how that goes but i havent gotten around that yet. a bit overkill but why not? lol
HeatWare
HoFo
--------------------
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2040 posts
190 upvotes
I just stream everything from my PC to my Steam Link. Works well enough. I don't use anything portable because all of the options honestly seem pretty meh.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2013
601 posts
115 upvotes
Durham
Redmask wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:22 pm
I'm using an Nvidia Shield for everything up to PSX and an HTPC the odd time I play Dolphin/PS2 stuff.
I'm thinking this is my next setup (Nvidia Shield) if I can find someone selling the old version. Need a new Android box anyways.
Dec 15, 2013
852 posts
179 upvotes
C A N A D A
Kkhan15 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:51 pm
I have a Raspberry Pi3 with Retropi paired with 2 PS3 controllers and love it. However I'm disappointed that N64 games don't work well. Specifically Mario Kart, NFL Blitz and NBA Showtime. What are you guys using?
Some n64 games plain don't work even on high end computers. The emulation is still a work in progress.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2586 posts
307 upvotes
BC
I have a Framemeister and I use original hardware. I've modified some the systems for better sound/picture as well. Personally, I don't trust emulators unless they're made by the actual company. Examples are PSP's amazing PSX emulator, and Nintendo's own virtual console.
Dec 15, 2013
852 posts
179 upvotes
C A N A D A
Ren wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 12:51 pm
I have a Framemeister and I use original hardware. I've modified some the systems for better sound/picture as well. Personally, I don't trust emulators unless they're made by the actual company. Examples are PSP's amazing PSX emulator, and Nintendo's own virtual console.
There have been threads on /r/emulation on reddit a while back that pinpointed that Nintendo's own emulation on the Classic System had worse sound than emulators out for years. Also, Virtual Console isn't a perfect emulation either. The original wii had sometimes lackluster emulation for even the original Nintendo. While some people wouldn't notice, purists were quick to point it out.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2586 posts
307 upvotes
BC
GhostBusters wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 7:05 pm
There have been threads on /r/emulation on reddit a while back that pinpointed that Nintendo's own emulation on the Classic System had worse sound than emulators out for years. Also, Virtual Console isn't a perfect emulation either. The original wii had sometimes lackluster emulation for even the original Nintendo. While some people wouldn't notice, purists were quick to point it out.
Yes, but even different revisions of the actual hardware has play differences. As a purist that's spent thousands on actual hardware and upscalers, virtual console on the Wii U gamepad is pretty good.
Dec 15, 2013
852 posts
179 upvotes
C A N A D A
Ren wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 11:17 pm
Yes, but even different revisions of the actual hardware has play differences. As a purist that's spent thousands on actual hardware and upscalers, virtual console on the Wii U gamepad is pretty good.
Nothing beats original hardware. That being said.. most purists who would never recommend emulation in the first place.... most would argue that Virtual Console aside from the n64 is worse than the best emulators on pc. The easiest example is BSNES/HIGAN.. which does a better job emulating Super Nintendo than any rendition of Virtual Console.

There are plenty of options to be used on original hardware to get it up to snuff on current TV's that beat any mutli-system upscaler. Advances on the original Nintendo with NES HDMI and NES RGB are astounding. The games look amazing and the image is taken directly from the PPU. N64 recently got the N64 Ultra HDMI would looks fantastic in person as well. Systems like Super Nintendo (not Mini) natively output RGB which offer's a much cleaner picture than the A/V. Many other systems have people working on HDMI hard mods as well that will hopefully be released soon.

Someone like you can spend thousands on upscalers/hardware but it still doesn't make you or them a purist. It doesn't teach someone the difference between mediocre emulation on the virtual console (n64 aside) and high end emulation on the pc.
Jan 22, 2017
48 posts
2 upvotes
i've tried everything for n64.
the only real option for best playback is flashcart or backup disk unit playback.
i have tried the cd64 and z64 options. both are very good. not sure what others are like.
take a look here at bottom of page. http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/slaanesh ... _Units.htm

there are others out there too. UFO made a pretty good unit.
here's a z64 with a hard drive mod done to the zip drive removed.

if you have the originals or access to them this is the best way to backup and play your library safely and 100% accurately.
or
Last edited by techjedi on Apr 19th, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2586 posts
307 upvotes
BC
GhostBusters wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 3:49 pm
Nothing beats original hardware. That being said.. most purists who would never recommend emulation in the first place.... most would argue that Virtual Console aside from the n64 is worse than the best emulators on pc. The easiest example is BSNES/HIGAN.. which does a better job emulating Super Nintendo than any rendition of Virtual Console.

There are plenty of options to be used on original hardware to get it up to snuff on current TV's that beat any mutli-system upscaler. Advances on the original Nintendo with NES HDMI and NES RGB are astounding. The games look amazing and the image is taken directly from the PPU. N64 recently got the N64 Ultra HDMI would looks fantastic in person as well. Systems like Super Nintendo (not Mini) natively output RGB which offer's a much cleaner picture than the A/V. Many other systems have people working on HDMI hard mods as well that will hopefully be released soon.

Someone like you can spend thousands on upscalers/hardware but it still doesn't make you or them a purist. It doesn't teach someone the difference between mediocre emulation on the virtual console (n64 aside) and high end emulation on the pc.
I'm not really sure who you're arguing with. I've already mentioned that I have a Framemeister with actual hardware that I've modified for better sound/video. I have a real library of hundreds of actual cartridges. What exactly is your point? I'm a self proclaimed purist, do you get to decide who is and isn't one? The Wii U has pretty decent emulation and it's native 480p screen with it's small size let's older titles shine compared to much larger modern TV's.