PC & Video Games

Retro Gaming - What are you using?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 10:16 am
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2835 posts
920 upvotes
Has any done any comparison between NES Classic Mini and PS TV emulation?
May 23, 2008
734 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
So as a non-purist who just wants to keep my nephew away from my NES, SNES, and SEGA Genesis, I'm guessing that building a Retropie is my best bet?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18943 posts
2525 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I'm using a bluetooth controller that has a grip for my old Xperia ZL that has emulators for nes, SNES, Master System, Genesis, Gameboy.......Etc.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1964 posts
64 upvotes
I sold my Pi3 with Retropie setup with pair of 8bitdo Super Famicom bluetooth controllers to a good friend of mine. His friends were over last week and each wanted their own after playing his so asked if I could make 5 more. One even sold off his NES classic on kijiji to replace it too :)
IMG_20170804_213703.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5175 posts
1633 upvotes
Toronto
mwong168 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:14 pm
I sold my Pi3 with Retropie setup with pair of 8bitdo Super Famicom bluetooth controllers to a good friend of mine. His friends were over last week and each wanted their own after playing his so asked if I could make 5 more. One even sold off his NES classic on kijiji to replace it too :)
How much do those controllers go for these days and where do you get them? Do they work on Wii or WiiU? I remember seeing them years ago for like $10 but they were wired
I'm thinking of getting a SNES classic for the hell of it but I'm so used to the QoL improvements in emulators that I'm worried it'll feel like a downgrade. Would love the controllers for my current setup though.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1964 posts
64 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:47 pm
How much do those controllers go for these days and where do you get them? Do they work on Wii or WiiU? I remember seeing them years ago for like $10 but they were wired
I'm thinking of getting a SNES classic for the hell of it but I'm so used to the QoL improvements in emulators that I'm worried it'll feel like a downgrade. Would love the controllers for my current setup though.
You can get them from amazon.ca for $39.95-49.95 shipped depending on which one you get. Just search 8bitdo and you will see all their offerings. Otherwise I have used these and work quite well on my Pi3 and Android phone. I know 8bitdo controllers are now Nintendo Switch compatible. I can't comment on whether they will work on the Wii or WiiU as I don't have either.

https://www.amazon.ca/SFC30-Yikeshu-Wir ... rds=8bitdo
https://www.amazon.ca/SNES30-Yikeshu-Wi ... rds=8bitdo

If I build another Pi3 setup for myself I will probably give these a try

https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Wirele ... rds=8bitdo

Otherwise if you want to go wired I would recommend these ones made by iBuffalo

https://www.amazon.ca/Buffalo-Classic-U ... controller

I've had and tried the Retrolink wired ones and found the diagonals register better on the iBuffalo.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1680 posts
28 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
mwong168 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:14 pm

IMG_20170804_213703.jpg
would you be kind enough to list out the parts you purchased for your setup? I've given up on finding an NES classic at a reasonable price, and think this is the best way to go.
Looking for an educational source to help pass your G1 written driving test? Check out DrivingTests101.com
It helped me pass my test and had a lot of great resources!
Feb 6, 2013
7 posts
2 upvotes
Blazin_Sunfire wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 9:30 am
would you be kind enough to list out the parts you purchased for your setup? I've given up on finding an NES classic at a reasonable price, and think this is the best way to go.
I'm not mwong168 but

I bought the same bundle for a raspberry pie 3. It include the case, 16 gig sd card, power supply and the raspberry pie 3 for 75 $ + tx at :

Raspberry pie 3 bundle

You need to buy the controller separatly.

Hope It help.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1964 posts
64 upvotes
I bought my Pi3 bundles from the Microsoft store linked above. I found it is the cheapest and fastest way to get one without having to worry about getting a knock off microsd card. My original Pi3 that I sold I also bought from the Microsoft store and I was able to stack the education discount and it came out to just under $70 shipped with taxes. Microsoft also sent me out a replacement microsd 16gb card because the one that came in the kit apparently wasn't authentic due to lots of other users (or RFDers) complaining about the performance.

Amazon.ca does sell a similar kit for cheaper but I would like it sometime before say Christmas :)

https://www.amazon.ca/LANDZO-Raspberry- ... +kit&psc=1
[OP]
Jan 1, 2013
588 posts
110 upvotes
Durham
That looks like a deal. I just sold my RetroPi setup however and went with an Nvidia Shield as I need a new Kodi box. Using Hyperspin setup. If you're willing to fork up a few bucks and have Dreamcast, PS1 work flawless, this is the way to go.

I would never touch these Nintendo retro systems, they are a rip off compared to what you can do out there with Pi, Shield and various other setups.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1680 posts
28 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
mwong168 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:46 am
I bought my Pi3 bundles from the Microsoft store linked above. I found it is the cheapest and fastest way to get one without having to worry about getting a knock off microsd card. My original Pi3 that I sold I also bought from the Microsoft store and I was able to stack the education discount and it came out to just under $70 shipped with taxes. Microsoft also sent me out a replacement microsd 16gb card because the one that came in the kit apparently wasn't authentic due to lots of other users (or RFDers) complaining about the performance.

Amazon.ca does sell a similar kit for cheaper but I would like it sometime before say Christmas :)

https://www.amazon.ca/LANDZO-Raspberry- ... +kit&psc=1
Thanks. Genius re: educational discount!!
Looking for an educational source to help pass your G1 written driving test? Check out DrivingTests101.com
It helped me pass my test and had a lot of great resources!
Nov 28, 2013
917 posts
459 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Original SNES and N64 with these games:
Hagane is a replica. The Snes Gameboy holds Pokemon Red. lol

I also have a few NES games but no console (yet?)
I plan on installing RetoPie on my Pie3 so I can add some Sega and NES stuff.

Honestly, the SNES is holding up a lot better than the N64 IMO. So many N64 games look terrible and are almost unplayable. I sold Starfox for exactly that reason.
Feb 16, 2016
310 posts
55 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
I have every console except for the dreamcast and the ps4. They're all in my basement and I collect them. It's super fun when I invite friends over!
sirxterminator wrote:
Jun 7th, 2016 12:44 pm
I heard the muffin display whisper, "Take me home, I am delicious, you know you want me, baby. I give good happy endings." My resistance was futile, I bought the case of muffins. Now I save hundreds not having to go to a massage parlor.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1194 posts
268 upvotes
mississauga
a wii with component cables into a nice looking crt(does n64 games somewhat natively) but I havent touched it in months probably should get rid of it. Massive crt in the corner of my room just taking up space, too lazy tho.
do not pm me about the kobo 10 arc HD