Shopping Discussion

Return of Bike to Canadian tire.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2015 4:40 pm
Aug 3, 2015
3 posts
New Glasgow

Return of Bike to Canadian tire.

Hi all, Im new to here, and looking for some advice. I bought this bike http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/super ... cE2yflViko , on July 30th, I didnt ride it until Aug 1st, I was just going out of the driveway with it, it had no brakes at all, and when i was going to turn, the front rim bent to the point that the wheel would no longer move. I took it back to get it repaired. I got a call today saying that I need to pay $80 for a new rim, and more money for a new tire. I went there to demand my money back, and they looked right at me and told me that it was my fault and that it looked like i ran into a wall with it. I spoke with the general manager, and he was being real ignorant with me telling me I have to pay if I want my bike back. I then proceeded to call Corporate customer relations, and they told me that if I admit guilt and pay the repair charges, that she will send me a gift card for $40. I told them no. I have this bike for 2 days, and it fell apart. I know that if the product is defective or unsafe, Under the law, stores have an obligation to sell merchandise that is saleable and suits the intended purpose -- no matter what their return policies may say.
Please help
Chris
36 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1436 posts
464 upvotes
ChristopherB504066 wrote: Hi all, Im new to here, and looking for some advice. I bought this bike http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/super ... cE2yflViko , on July 30th, I didnt ride it until Aug 1st, I was just going out of the driveway with it, it had no brakes at all, and when i was going to turn, the front rim bent to the point that the wheel would no longer move. I took it back to get it repaired. I got a call today saying that I need to pay $80 for a new rim, and more money for a new tire. I went there to demand my money back, and they looked right at me and told me that it was my fault and that it looked like i ran into a wall with it. I spoke with the general manager, and he was being real ignorant with me telling me I have to pay if I want my bike back. I then proceeded to call Corporate customer relations, and they told me that if I admit guilt and pay the repair charges, that she will send me a gift card for $40. I told them no. I have this bike for 2 days, and it fell apart. I know that if the product is defective or unsafe, Under the law, stores have an obligation to sell merchandise that is saleable and suits the intended purpose -- no matter what their return policies may say.
Please help
Chris
The bike tire bent that much from just turning it? Seems highly unlikely. Unless the tire is made of tinfoil, in which case you'd have been able to demonstrate that in front of the staff.

Regardless, it's your fault.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1848 posts
277 upvotes
Markham
The only way a rim will bend to the extent you described during turning is if the spokes are loose or not there.
Are there loose spokes?
Aug 3, 2015
3 posts
New Glasgow
The spokes were loose once the rim was bent, but as for before, I didn't check to see.
Dec 28, 2009
863 posts
36 upvotes
call there head office and file a complaint then used social media to threaten them as well.

Did you take pictures of the defected btw?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Uhh... you bought a brand new mountain bike with no brakes on it and the rim bent so much just from turning that the front wheel can't rotate anymore?

This makes no sense.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ChristopherB504066 wrote: Hi all, Im new to here, and looking for some advice. I bought this bike on July 30th, I didnt ride it until Aug 1st, I was just going out of the driveway with it, it had no brakes at all, and when i was going to turn, the front rim bent to the point that the wheel would no longer move.
As a cyclist, it looks to me that you didn't check if the bike was ready to go before you hopped on it. Quick check of the brakes, run the fingers around the wheel to check for loose or broken spokes - takes about a minute.
Under the law, stores have an obligation to sell merchandise that is saleable and suits the intended purpose -- no matter what their return policies may say.
I agree. However I wouldn't expect a bike I purchased from Crappy Tire to be completely ready to ride unless they assembled it for me, and while it's suited for its intended purpose, CT doesn't have to ensure that it's fully set up and ready to go. I'm assuming you bought one of the bikes that was on display. You know, those same bikes that pesky kids fiddle with as they're walking down the aisles of Canadian Tire? Those same bikes that annoying teenagers poke and prod (and possibly disconnect one or two things)?

If the rim did buckle when you turned it, loose spokes were likely the cause. Unfortunately it's not CT's fault. You didn't check. Brakes could have been either loose or disconnected (on most bikes, especially MTB, the brakes have to be disconnected to remove the wheel).

Sorry, while the bike may have been defective to the point that it caused all these problems, but based on my experience I don't see it happening and it would be impossible to prove.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
If you paid by credit card, it might be a better idea to go through the warranty process with that since CT isn't going to help you.
Aug 3, 2015
3 posts
New Glasgow
I have contacted the manufacturer, and they are going to help me. They are sending me a new rim, tire, tube and brakes. And they are going to overnight it. I'm glad someone stands behind their product because Canadian Tire certainly doesn't.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChristopherB504066 wrote: I have contacted the manufacturer, and they are going to help me. They are sending me a new rim, tire, tube and brakes. And they are going to overnight it. I'm glad someone stands behind their product because Canadian Tire certainly doesn't.
Canadian Tire didn't manufacture the bike, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
EP32k2 wrote: Canadian Tire didn't manufacture the bike, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.
+1.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Jul 21, 2007
188 posts
119 upvotes
It says on the website the OP linked that assembly is included. Sounds like CT didn't correctly assemble it.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
[QUOTE] call Corporate customer relations, and they told me that if I admit guilt and pay the repair charges, that she will send me a gift card for $40[/QUOTE]

No way they actually said this to you
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Canadian Tire didn't manufacture the bike, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Am I the only one that expects a retailer to stand behind what they sell?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: Am I the only one that expects a retailer to stand behind what they sell?
Nope. You and OP think like that. Not sure how someone that didn't manufacture the item is responsible for it. No different from when buying a TV and YOU need to deal with the manufacturer for the duration of the warranty.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Not sure how someone that didn't manufacture the item is responsible for it.
Sadly... this is the attitude that more and more retail shops are adopting.
Luckily there's still a few good ones out there but they're getting few and far between.
No different from when buying a TV and YOU need to deal with the manufacturer for the duration of the warranty.
I'm pretty sure it is different. If something is broken out of box I'm expecting the retailer to do something about it.
If it dies 4 years later I'll deal with the manufacturer unless I bought it from a retailer that actually has customer service.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
it's understandable CT can't just swap the bike right there on the spot, not knowing if it's really a defect or not.
But, instead of trying to make a few bucks more by selling new wheel, they should have contacted manufacture on behalf of their customers.

Manufacture had no problem replacing OP's wheel, it should've been CT job(for first 30 days or 1 year whatever) to go after manufacture for help, not customer.
for big chain like CT who can more volume, manufactures will definitely bend over to make both sides happy.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
EP32k2 wrote: Nope. You and OP think like that. Not sure how someone that didn't manufacture the item is responsible for it. No different from when buying a TV and YOU need to deal with the manufacturer for the duration of the warranty.
Is it wrong to expect a retailer will stand behind the products they sell?
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Crappy tire has THE worst service of any retailer. Never any sales staff to help and a non existent return policy. You have to approach returning anything like a war - come ready to draw blood.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: No different from when buying a TV and YOU need to deal with the manufacturer for the duration of the warranty.
That's why I only buy TV's from stores that offer an in store (extended) warranty. I never shop at stores that maintain that once you leave the store, you don't deal with them.
It's a lot easier to return the TV to the store it was sold at than it is to try and fiddle with some far off place to bring the TV to and hope for the best.

I'm not sure if bikes have the same deal...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)