• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2015 2:14 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 24, 2015
2 posts
Chomedey, QC

Return Fraud

Hi guys I work at staples in Ontario and I have a question on returns. There's a regular customer down here who buys many products here at Staples. Recently this year he returned 2 items (mouse + keyboard Logitech combo and Wireless extender of some sort), both were on different dates (January and March). He's a friendly guy and talks about how he does business on Ebay. His excuse for the returns is that it's not what he wanted or the range isn't good...blah...blah...blah. Each product has a unique UPC code, my question is, is he buying used on Ebay (cheaper) and buying a new one at our store then a few days later returns the used one he bought from ebay with all it's original boxing and accessories for a full credit? Is that even possible, cause at the cash his box scans (albeit all crumpled even thought it's only been 1 week)? How can we even prove that?
24 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
kingjkv wrote: Hi guys I work at staples in Ontario and I have a question on returns. There's a regular customer down here who buys many products here at Staples. Recently this year he returned 2 items (mouse + keyboard Logitech combo and Wireless extender of some sort), both were on different dates (January and March). He's a friendly guy and talks about how he does business on Ebay. His excuse for the returns is that it's not what he wanted or the range isn't good...blah...blah...blah. Each product has a unique UPC code, my question is, is he buying used on Ebay (cheaper) and buying a new one at our store then a few days later returns the used one he bought from ebay with all it's original boxing and accessories for a full credit? Is that even possible, cause at the cash his box scans (albeit all crumpled even thought it's only been 1 week)? How can we even prove that?
The UPC is not unique, only the serial is.
Apr 24, 2015
2 posts
Chomedey, QC
What I meant was each product model has their own UPC code. For example a seagate hard drive 500gb all have the same upc no matter which store in Ontario assuming they're the same model. Im well aware that within each model they all have different serial number. But what he's doing is returning the used product he bought online which came with its original box hence matching the same serial found on the product and the box and we would have no clue.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
Recommend to staples head office that they track serial #s when possible. I am positive they are aware that this happens but it is cheaper for them to let this happen as opposed to trying to prevent it.
Oct 15, 2008
216 posts
56 upvotes
If it's only happened twice in a year, I think it's too early to assume fraud or anything. Saving maybe 50-60 bucks on each occurrence is hardly enough to sustain a business.

That aside - Plenty of people do business over Ebay, so if anything, perhaps he sells these products and sometimes they get returned to him? In which case, as the original buyer, I don't see why he can't return the product.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
New poster, excessive usage of "he". OP why don't you admit it is yourself you are talking about?
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
kingjkv wrote: Hi guys I work at staples in Ontario and I have a question on returns. There's a regular customer down here who buys many products here at Staples. Recently this year he returned 2 items (mouse + keyboard Logitech combo and Wireless extender of some sort), both were on different dates (January and March). He's a friendly guy and talks about how he does business on Ebay. His excuse for the returns is that it's not what he wanted or the range isn't good...blah...blah...blah. Each product has a unique UPC code, my question is, is he buying used on Ebay (cheaper) and buying a new one at our store then a few days later returns the used one he bought from ebay with all it's original boxing and accessories for a full credit? Is that even possible, cause at the cash his box scans (albeit all crumpled even thought it's only been 1 week)? How can we even prove that?
Change the POS system to print the serial # on the receipt? Implement a policy to hand write the serial # on the receipt? Or specifically for this person, write the serial # on the receipt for each item he buys. Have the few Staples stores in his area do the same. This brings to the question of how will the other stores know who he is? Get a photo from the surveillance cameras or something like snap a photo of him. Staff will check this photo if they suspect he is the person and if he is, write the serial # on the receipt. This photo would be like the shopping malls that keep photos of people banned from their malls with the purpose of identifying this person.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
It's easy to tell if a mouse or keyboard is used. There are scratches, dust, detritus, dandruff, grease marks, wear marks on the buttons, etc. As a Staples employee processing a return, you should take the time to examine the merchandise.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
kingjkv wrote: What I meant was each product model has their own UPC code. For example a seagate hard drive 500gb all have the same upc no matter which store in Ontario assuming they're the same model. Im well aware that within each model they all have different serial number. But what he's doing is returning the used product he bought online which came with its original box hence matching the same serial found on the product and the box and we would have no clue.
So start recording serials on the receipt or ask head office.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
You are working at Staples, not your parents' small shop.. Who cares? And it's only two products...
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
The real issue is that non-new products should be subject to a 15% restocking fee that can be waived at the store's discretion.

I'm sure stores lose a lot of money over people abusing return policies, so something like this would deter abusers and make things better for the rest of us.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op seems to be looking for ways to beat Staples. It's hard to believe an employee doesn't know what to look for in a return. If he doesn't, he should ask his superiors.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Not a big deal. Only two returns.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
OP your going to get caught. Karmas a b****.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Is it not possible that a customer who returns several items a year - with receipts - is actually just a regular customer who doesn't always need everything s/he buys? Why jump to the - likely incorrect - assumption that fraud is involved, and risk losing a good customer's business forever? Odds are they buy far more than they return - until the store foolishly drives them away. No wonder so many stores are going under.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
That's a pretty big accusation to make, especially when you're just basing this off pretty much nothing.

I don't know why Staples employees always act like you're doing something wrong when returning stuff. Returned an external hard drive last week that was still sealed and had the factory shrink wrap still on it. The girl gets another employee to come inspect it. He spends 10-15 minutes opening it and inspecting every single inch of the contents inside the box, testing the hard drive. The guy was questioning me like some kind of detective and asking me why I'm returning it, why I didn't like it. Even asked me if there was anything wrong with it. "Yes, the shrink wrap on the box was too shiny and I didn't like the shape of the box, dummy". This is one of the many reasons I don't shop there that often. If Staples didn't have those weekly coupons, I'd probably never shop there.
Dec 31, 2010
923 posts
460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yep, staples is pretty hardcore with returns as it is, and it always baffles me when they would open a brand new item completely to make sure you didn't "de-fraud" them
Apr 22, 2015
29 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
well! HOnety is the best policy.. Contact your Head Office with serial num if it gets continue..
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
Why would you care? If i was a staples employee i wouldnt care at all.