Shopping Discussion

Return item to Futureshop with no receipt ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2008 10:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1288 posts
38 upvotes

Return item to Futureshop with no receipt ?

Has anyone tried returning something to Futureshop or HMV without the receipt ? Will they give you store credit or tell me to go play on the street ? > :(
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1717 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, B.C.
Future shop will tell you to play on the street, not sure about HMV. Staples will give you store credit though.
Apr 4, 2004
489 posts
7 upvotes
Oakville
i've never had a problem. they give credit only. Mind you, i've only returned items in 'resellable' condition (ie. original packaging)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1288 posts
38 upvotes
I should edit . . . the item I need to return is still brand new and sealed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2003
7580 posts
379 upvotes
Edmonton
Tisk tisk, you should seriously have some morals. Returning your DVD w/o a receipt just so you can get more store credit than u paid is wrong.
Banned
Oct 18, 2003
478 posts
Mississauga
if it's still sealed then they will give you store credit. I've done that before with the Matrix DVD.... I mistakenly bought the "full screen" instead of a wide screen version.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4879 posts
310 upvotes
It's up to them whether they want to take it back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1288 posts
38 upvotes
CSR wrote:IS THIS THE dvd movie fiasca again?

DVD Movie fiasca ? Watcha talkin bout Willis ?
Oct 4, 2007
125 posts
1 upvote
Bump!

I have the same question.

I just got Uncharted on the PS3 as a gift... problem is I already own the game.

They didn't give me a receipt with it. It's still sealed and has the price tag on it and everything.

Would it be possible for me to exchange it for another game of equal or lesser value WITHOUT a receipt?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7179 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
i think ymmv on this one, best to just go in and ask, make up some sad story too like ur parents cleaned yr room and threw out the receipt
Oct 22, 2007
229 posts
1 upvote
ON
Over the holidays I wanted to return an xbox 360 game but they said no. The very next week I successfully returned an unopened 4 gig ipod that was originally purchased at a different store for store credit which got me the 8 gig model for 50 bux more! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3861 posts
171 upvotes
I'm pretty sure their policy is no.

They'll probably make an exception though if it's just an exchange for another similar item and you haven't opened the item you're exchanging.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7199 posts
566 upvotes
Bmonk wrote:
Mar 7th, 2008 11:01 pm
Bump!

I have the same question.

I just got Uncharted on the PS3 as a gift... problem is I already own the game.

They didn't give me a receipt with it. It's still sealed and has the price tag on it and everything.

Would it be possible for me to exchange it for another game of equal or lesser value WITHOUT a receipt?
Normally I'd have an issue with this, it should really go back to the place it came from. That said, uncharted is pretty popular and if its new and sealed, they'll toss it back on the shelf and it'll probably sell relatively quickly, so the store won't be taking a hit. Your call.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Oct 4, 2007
125 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the responses guys.

I just called them and asked, and the girl on the phone said it should be no problem, as long as it's still sealed.

Let's hope they are as understanding in person.

Now the problem: Which game to trade it for? :confused: