• Jan 9th, 2016 6:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3251 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
dog479 wrote: I bought a tempered glass screen protector for my phone and when i got home i disliked how it felt so i wiped a fingerprint off the protector so it was clean going back to the store and it shattered in my hand.. I tried to return the obviously defective item and the store owner told me to get out of his store and refused to exchange it or refund it. is there anything i can do about this at all?
me wiping the finger print off was obviously no where near what these people are doing to tempered glass protectors
Firstly - there are no grounds for returning a product simply because you don't like how it feels or looks. Larger retailers of course have policies covering this sort of return in some cases, but that's up to them and it's not legislated - nor should it be, IMO.

Secondly - since you had the product offsite, there's no proof that you didn't abuse the product or break it while removing it from your phone. Therefore, it's unreasonable to expect a return.

You wouldn't have a hope of winning in Small Claims, either. The retailer has a valid defence that you could have damaged it intentionally or otherwise and that would be difficult for you to rebut. The only way you could win were to be if you had another identical cover and you could replicate the break in the court.
i wasn't necessarily complaining i was asking if someone could inform me on my rights, i thought you were protected from defective items for up to 30 days.
You've got no way of proving it was defective. It didn't stop working. It broke. While you were handling it in some way or another.
all i can say is i wiped a fingerprint off and the thing shattered, i didn't bend it in half and wasn't using a hammer to polish it in between those pressures i have no idea how hard i could have ben pressign exactly with my finger
...interesting that you didn't specifically answer the question you had been asked by KiraSensei about whether you were cleaning the cover while it was in your hand.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
eonibm wrote: No, nothing tells you that. But at least it tells you that you haven't bought a totally dead battery. That would've avoided you buying a DOA battery
Which is my point. So a voltmeter isn't an "easy peasy" solution after all because "you can't really tell much about the battery quality [with just a voltmeter] even it shows a full charge." ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1908 posts
491 upvotes
The store owner did nothing wrong legally. It sounds more like your problem is with the manufacturer and not the store owner. The store owner is just a reseller they don't/can't make claims about the product's abilities, you are better off contacting the manufacturer as if they are a decent company they will almost always send you a different protector. Yes it's not getting your $30 back but you could get a protector you like.

-LeeBear
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7132 posts
3735 upvotes
Montreal
dog479 wrote: all i can say is i wiped a fingerprint off and the thing shattered, i didn't bend it in half and wasn't using a hammer to polish it in between those pressures i have no idea how hard i could have ben pressign exactly with my finger
That'll be a pretty solid defense in small claims court. "Your honour, I have no proof of what I claim and I can't provide you with any details regarding my claim either."

You'll win for sure. Go for it.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
189 upvotes
Gatineau
dog479 wrote: they didn't have a posted return policy, it is $30 and i really disliked the clerk or owners dismissive and snide attitude. i've been thinking of taking him to small claims court.
I'd sue them for a million billion zillion dollars!

Grow up, you broke it. It's not the stores issue at all, it's the makers issue. Take them to small claims court lol

Actually.....if you took them to small claims court I guarantee you will lose and have to pay court costs, filing costs and most likely if someone missed a day of work with this bizarre claim you would have to pay that too. Suck it up princess, it's 30 dollars and you broke it thinking you could get a refund because you didn't like the look and feel of it/

You're not fooling anyone
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
189 upvotes
Gatineau
bylo wrote: Which is my point. So a voltmeter isn't an "easy peasy" solution after all because "you can't really tell much about the battery quality [with just a voltmeter] even it shows a full charge." ;)
Geeze I enjoy your posts Bylo :-)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
exiledinottawa wrote: Geeze I enjoy your posts Bylo :-)
Yeah, I too love the way how he shows that he knows a lot about batteries and therefore how not to be had but then doesn't use his knowledge to avoid that, preferring to whine on here instead. Moral of his story: If you know it's hard to determine the quality of a battery at purchase, then buy from someone with a stated no questions asked return policy like I did. Also, if it's a larger battery which you can easily test then bring a voltmeter and test the battery at the counter to make sure it is not DOA because even if they have a return policy you might find yourself wasting time driving back just to exchange it. Batteries are not something you buy from fly-by-nights.

Yup, as I said, easy peasy.
Jan 6, 2016
14 posts
Brockville, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: Firstly - there are no grounds for returning a product simply because you don't like how it feels or looks. Larger retailers of course have policies covering this sort of return in some cases, but that's up to them and it's not legislated - nor should it be, IMO.

Secondly - since you had the product offsite, there's no proof that you didn't abuse the product or break it while removing it from your phone. Therefore, it's unreasonable to expect a return.

You wouldn't have a hope of winning in Small Claims, either. The retailer has a valid defence that you could have damaged it intentionally or otherwise and that would be difficult for you to rebut. The only way you could win were to be if you had another identical cover and you could replicate the break in the court.

You've got no way of proving it was defective. It didn't stop working. It broke. While you were handling it in some way or another.

...interesting that you didn't specifically answer the question you had been asked by KiraSensei about whether you were cleaning the cover while it was in your hand.
did you bother looking at the pictures in my first post? or are you and your friends just trying to bully me out of my own thread?
I wiped dust off with my finger usign the little rectangle cloth that came with my glasses, hes a refresher of what these screen protectors are suppose to be able to do.
exiledinottawa wrote: Geeze I enjoy your posts Bylo :-)
its almost like your the same person
psyko514 wrote: That'll be a pretty solid defense in small claims court. "Your honour, I have no proof of what I claim and I can't provide you with any details regarding my claim either."

You'll win for sure. Go for it.
all i would have to do is play this video or one similar to it of people stress testing real screensavers , not the knockoff ones and i am sure .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3004 upvotes
London
dog479 wrote: this exactly is what i am saying,the sellers attitude was disgusting and it might be worth the $250 for small claims court to cost him time and money and some embarrassment. I am starting to think abunch of people posting in this thread might be sellers of these products with how aggressively there defending the thief of a seller..
Go look up pyrrhic victory, because even if you win, that's where you're headed.
dog479 wrote: do you by chance sell $2 Chinese knockoff cell phone screen protectors for $25 in a mall?

to bad you didn't learn right from wrong in kindergarten instead

I'm beginning to think alot of the problems you're having with this retailer is you, and your attitude.
Jan 6, 2016
14 posts
Brockville, ON
Ottomaddox wrote: Go look up pyrrhic victory, because even if you win, that's where you're headed.

I'm beginning to think alot of the problems you're having with this retailer is you, and your attitude.
Its amazing you and some others started victim bashing me right off the bat are totally ignoring anything i've posted and continually stick up for some guy selling garbage products and being abusive towards consumers. victory or not i've already reported him the fraud borough of ontario and there already investigating these knockoff retailers as there getting a lot of complaints of shoddy defective products. i am sure you will find another reason as to why i deserved to get ripped off in another few posts.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dog479 wrote: victim bashing
It's not "victim bashing" to point out that the cost (not just of the item but also the value of your time and effort) in pursuing this sort of issue in small claims court isn't worth it for most people most of the time. If you're determined to make a point with the seller then, as I suggested upthread, by all means go for it. Just be prepared for the obstacles that lie ahead. This is just practical advice coming from people (including me) who've been there, done that and know what we're talking about.

But if you're determined, I wish you the best of luck in achieving your desired outcome.

Also, please stop the "advice bashing" and insult hurling against those of us who are genuinely trying to give you the benefit of our experience. Just because it's not the advice you want to hear doesn't make it any less valid.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 6, 2016
14 posts
Brockville, ON
bylo wrote: It's not "victim bashing" to point out that the cost (not just of the item but also the value of your time and effort) in pursuing this sort of issue in small claims court isn't worth it for most people most of the time. If you're determined to make a point with the seller then, as I suggested upthread, by all means go for it. Just be prepared for the obstacles that lie ahead. This is just practical advice coming from people (including me) who've been there, done that and know what we're talking about.

But if you're determined, I wish you the best of luck in achieving your desired outcome.

Also, please stop the "advice bashing" and insult hurling against those of us who are genuinely trying to give you the benefit of our experience. Just because it's not the advice you want to hear doesn't make it any less valid.
I have already escalated it with the seller via contacting a few consumer agencies in Ontario regarding this and opening files on him and his practices and his quality of merchandise. I am sorry but when people totally ignore your initial post only to stand by the seller that's obviously selling inferior shoddy knock off products that's not offering help that's victim bashing and i would guess its victim bashing for a reason.
May 28, 2012
12476 posts
5266 upvotes
Saskatoon
I think this thread has run its course.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)