Shopping Discussion

Return policies? Who takes back without a receipt?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2012 5:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3224 posts
307 upvotes

Return policies? Who takes back without a receipt?

I am trying to find a store where I can return a few DVDs that I received as gifts and have no receipts for. I'd rather not trade them in for a couple bucks at BBV or something like that since they are new, unopened movies.

Toys R Us used to take them, but now they are refusing, saying I need a receipt for DVDs or games.

Are there any stores that would take back DVDs for store credit or cash refund?

Thanks!!
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
93 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1690 posts
18 upvotes
Oakville
very few places, try best buy or walmart

i hope u arent expecting anything more than a gift card..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6907 posts
338 upvotes
rob187jj wrote:
Oct 24th, 2007 8:02 pm
very few places, try best buy or walmart

i hope u arent expecting anything more than a gift card..
I think at HMV all you will get is a gift card. Which is not bad for not having a receipt. With the gift card you can go ahead and get what you really want.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3224 posts
307 upvotes
I would be 100% happy with a gift card. I'll give HMV a try this week and see what they say. There's no Wal-Mart anywhere near me at all...why don't they open a downtown Toronto store, they'd surely make a killing? Hmm...anyway thanks.
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
Apr 21, 2007
220 posts
1 upvote
HMV and Wal-mart are two places that I think will let you exchange for a gift card. I'm not certain, but I know of friends who've done it at both stores in the past. Although this was around 2-3 years ago, so things might've changed since. Good luck!

Oh, and you can also try selling it to a friend, or on Craigslist or Kijiji (if the above options dont work out)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3224 posts
307 upvotes
I like the stock at Wal-Mart better, so I might try them if I can get my hands on a vehicle and find out where the heck a Wal-Mart is around me.

I'm not sure what luck I'd have selling to others...the movies I'm trying to get rid of are: Bean (the Movie), Final Destination 3, Blades of Glory, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the older one, not the one with Johnny Depp), and 007 Die Another Day. If anyone is interested in any of those let me know before I find a store that takes them back.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2007 7:52 pm
I am trying to find a store where I can return a few DVDs that I received as gifts and have no receipts for. I'd rather not trade them in for a couple bucks at BBV or something like that since they are new, unopened movies.
Of course, you do know what you are contemplating is fraud, don't you?
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3224 posts
307 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 12:56 am
Of course, you do know what you are contemplating is fraud, don't you?
Fraud eh? The DVDs were bought somewhere as gifts for me and I want to return them because I don't want to keep them. For all I know, they were bought at Wal-Mart. I just don't have a receipt. I didn't steal them and if they have a policy to accept returns without a receipt then how am I possible committing fraud?

I'm not buying them at one store and bringing them to another. I'm not stealing them and trying to get cash. I'm just trying to do something with DVDs that will otherwise collect dust unopened in my apartment.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 12:59 am
Fraud eh? The DVDs were bought somewhere as gifts for me and I want to return them because I don't want to keep them. For all I know, they were bought at Wal-Mart. I just don't have a receipt. I didn't steal them and if they have a policy to accept returns without a receipt then how am I possible committing fraud?
Their policy is that they will return items that were purchased at their store - not items that were purchased elsewhere.
I'm not buying them at one store and bringing them to another. I'm not stealing them and trying to get cash. I'm just trying to do something with DVDs that will otherwise collect dust unopened in my apartment.
Firstly, you didn't buy them. Secondly, you don't know which store they were purchased from. Lastly, you would be presenting something as fact (inferring that the DVDs were purchased at the store at which you were attempting the exchange) in order to receive something of value in return.

Realistically, it's no different to presenting a rubber cheque or counterfeit cash with an inference that it was of value, in order to obtain a DVD. The only way it would not be fraudulant would be if you were to say "I don't know if this was purchased at xxx, but I would like to simply exchange it for something else" and they accepted it. Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen.

Why don't you just ask the gift giver where they got them from, or perhaps a gift receipt? The ol' "Oh...I've already got this one..." works for me. That way you can make the exchange honestly and efficiently.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3224 posts
307 upvotes
You can't tell me how I'm going to present myself or that I'm going to infer that the products were purchased at their store. You aren't me.

When I brought a DVD to Toys R Us in the past, I brought it to their counter and said "I got this as a gift, I don't know where it was purchased and I have no receipt"

The person I was dealing with said she'd be happy to help and checked their inventory - they carried the title and had no problem issuing me a store credit for the amount of the purchase. They changed their policies recently it seems so you require a receipt for DVDs and games, possibly to stop people from bringing in stolen merchandise, but that's just my guess. I'm just trying to find out if there is a store that still has a policy that I've dealt with before.

It's NOT the same as a counterfeit cash in ANY way. They make the decision whether or not to restock the item and when they sell it again, they get REAL cash for it. In giving me a giftcard, they are also encouraging me to shop at their store and spend the money on the card and hopefully more. Plus, having had a pleasant return experience, they are going to hope that I return to give them my business again.

Thanks for hijacking this thread and making it into a moral discussion, by the way. If I want to go into a store and ask them if they will honour their policy for DVDs that I got as gifts from unknown stores, there's really nothing stopping me, legally or ethically. Please don't assume that you know me or my intentions. Thanks though.
Oct 25th, 2007 1:43 am
Their policy is that they will return items that were purchased at their store - not items that were purchased elsewhere.

Firstly, you didn't buy them. Secondly, you don't know which store they were purchased from. Lastly, you would be presenting something as fact (inferring that the DVDs were purchased at the store at which you were attempting the exchange) in order to receive something of value in return.

Realistically, it's no different to presenting a rubber cheque or counterfeit cash with an inference that it was of value, in order to obtain a DVD. The only way it would not be fraudulant would be if you were to say "I don't know if this was purchased at xxx, but I would like to simply exchange it for something else" and they accepted it. Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen.

Why don't you just ask the gift giver where they got them from, or perhaps a gift receipt? The ol' "Oh...I've already got this one..." works for me. That way you can make the exchange honestly and efficiently.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2847 posts
426 upvotes
lionboy wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 1:55 am
Well. your a ****ing rat's ass. Efficiency Efficiency.
If they have a policy of accepting items without receipts then they expect people to bring non-store bought items back.
So it never occurred to you that they put the policy into effect SO THAT THEY COULD PROVIDE BETTER SERVICE TO **THEIR OWN** CUSTOMERS, BY GIVING THEM THE **BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT**??? :idea:

Wal-Mart did NOT put the policy into effect because they want to be everyone's friendly neighbourhood unwanted-gift return depot.
lionboy wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 1:55 am
Its already in their math.
Boo-Hoo.
Yes, you're certainly right - they do their math and they factor in 'SHRINKAGE': losses due to employee theft, shoplifting/customer fraud, and administrative errors.

So by your logic, 'lionboy', if you worked at Wal-Mart (or for that matter anywhere), as they would already have budgeted for $x-amount losses attributable to employee-theft, there'd be no harm in you helping yourself to a few items every now and again. Hey, it's "in their math". :evil:

One of these days your attitude is going to end up catching up with you. Let's hope for your sake it'll be juvy and not the big house.

edit:
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 1:58 am
well put :)
So much for you playing "Mr. Innocent & Upfront" - you had me going there for a second but your credibility just sunk to ZERO.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 1:57 am
You can't tell me how I'm going to present myself or that I'm going to infer that the products were purchased at their store. You aren't me.
Well, looking at the opening statement of your original post, it's a fair assumption. Someone doesn't have to be you in order to make those assumptions, since you stated you were looking for any stores which would take returns without receipts. Fairly clear what your goal was.
When I brought a DVD to Toys R Us in the past, I brought it to their counter and said "I got this as a gift, I don't know where it was purchased and I have no receipt" The person I was dealing with said she'd be happy to help and checked their inventory - they carried the title and had no problem issuing me a store credit for the amount of the purchase. They changed their policies recently it seems so you require a receipt for DVDs and games
And good for you. This was an honest act - and the change in policy doesn't surprise me, but at least you were up front.
It's NOT the same as a counterfeit cash in ANY way.
Actually, it's quite similar. You are presenting something of an inferred value and obtaining something of actual value in return.
They make the decision whether or not to restock the item and when they sell it again, they get REAL cash for it.
If they sell it. Even if they do sell it, if they don't get the amount from the next customer that they 'refunded' to you, then they have lost money. Either way, they certainly have lost their profit because they are now +1 in inventory and they paid a higher price for that extra item.
Thanks for hijacking this thread and making it into a moral discussion, by the way.
A simple question is hijacking the thread? Isn't this the 'Shopping discussion forum? Maybe one or two people here need a moral discussion from time to time, because it is this sort of 'return' that makes retailers change their policies. Kinda like Toys R Us.
If I want to go into a store and ask them if they will honour their policy for DVDs that I got as gifts from unknown stores, there's really nothing stopping me, legally or ethically.
Hey, if you can go into a store and have them knowingly exchange an item that was not purchased there, then fill your boots. However, I am not aware of any retailer which has a refund policy to honour that includes items not purchased from them specifically. As for legalities, if you knowingly misrepresent (whether it be through false disclosure or simple non-disclosure) an item as having being purchased from the retailer, then you are committing a fraudulant act. Don't believe me? Go ask a lawyer friend or police acquaintance. My experience comes from years of retail management. What would your experience be based upon?

Ethically, you can do whatever you want. Which ever way you attempt to justify it, presenting an item at a retailer for refund or exchange when you do not know it was purchased there is fraud. If you want to do that sort of exchange, go for it. I ain't yo mamma. However, it would make much more sense to go to the gift giver and ask them for a gift receipt or simply to ask where they made the purchase. But if that's too difficult...

'tis all from me on this one. Have a great day, all.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2003
3702 posts
5 upvotes
we are talking about dvds here. i am selling the one I got here on BST forum, as I don't want to bother with one dvd going to walmart or similar. i don't think walmart will flinch over a few dvds. now if you were returning a high-end washing machine it would be different and certainly something i don't approve of.
all these moralizers are probably busy making backup copies of movies/games.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18493 posts
926 upvotes
This thread is moot because all you're going to get is an exchange for the same DVD. Walmart changed their return policy months ago and they don't allow returns without a receipt anymore except for exchange. SOMETIMES you will get a nice manager who will give you a store credit but I doubt that would ever be the case for a bunch of DVDs. Even if they do give you credit it will be for the lowest price int he past 12 months, which for your DVDs would be like 6 bucks apiece max likely.

And for the record RenegadeX and iamnotanamerican are correct - what you are suggesting would be fraud, because if you truthfully say "I am not sure where these are from", they are not going to accept the return OR exchange. Simple as that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6845 posts
394 upvotes
Oct 25th, 2007 1:43 am

Not for nothing, because in principle I agree with you, but its not the same as a rubber cheque. If you're bringing in a sealed dvd or cd or whatever, they'll give the the value of the product, yes....but they're going to put that product on their shelves and re-sell it at that price as well. Its shifting inventory, and while it can negatively affect a store's numbers, its not quite the same as getting something for nothing. I've gone into HMV and said I'd like to do an exchange for sealed items before, and they really don't care...most of the time they don't even ask if it came from their store or not. The only time it really matters is if you're trying to get cash.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
× < >