Shopping Discussion

Return policies? Who takes back without a receipt?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2012 5:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 9:49 am
This thread is moot because all you're going to get is an exchange for the same DVD. Walmart changed their return policy months ago and they don't allow returns without a receipt anymore except for exchange. SOMETIMES you will get a nice manager who will give you a store credit but I doubt that would ever be the case for a bunch of DVDs. Even if they do give you credit it will be for the lowest price int he past 12 months, which for your DVDs would be like 6 bucks apiece max likely.

And for the record RenegadeX and iamnotanamerican are correct - what you are suggesting would be fraud, because if you truthfully say "I am not sure where these are from", they are not going to accept the return OR exchange. Simple as that.
IF it's their policy that they don't need a receipt for a return, then they actually don't have any reason to say no. And like I said in a previous post, in the past I told Toys R Us that I didn't buy them and I didn't know where they were purchased and they didn't care because their policy was to take it back at the lowest price in the last 30 days as long as they carry the item. So, no it's not fraud because I'm not telling anyone anything untruthful and I'm taking the time to ask the store what their policy is.

If Wal-Mart changed their policy, that's fine - I started this thread to find out if there is any store that has a policy that would allow me to get anything in return for brand new unopened items. Worst case scenario is that I bring them to Blockbuster and get $2-$3 for each unless I luck out.

I'd be perfectly happy getting even $5 for each of the movies - whatever the policy is of a store that is willing to take them is fine by me. Although, Final Destination 3 and Blades of Glory probably haven't been on sale for as low as $6 yet.

Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread...from now can we just keep the topic to whether or not there is a store whose policy will let me return the items without a receipt?
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4275 posts
66 upvotes
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 12:17 pm
IF it's their policy that they don't need a receipt for a return, then they actually don't have any reason to say no. And like I said in a previous post, in the past I told Toys R Us that I didn't buy them and I didn't know where they were purchased and they didn't care because their policy was to take it back at the lowest price in the last 30 days as long as they carry the item. So, no it's not fraud because I'm not telling anyone anything untruthful and I'm taking the time to ask the store what their policy is.
Why do you think they changed their policy?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
Impossibles wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 12:32 pm
Why do you think they changed their policy?
I brought the DVDs to Toys R Us and they told me they can't do it because of "security reasons" - I assume that this is new. So when I did it before, they were either not enforcing the same policy or it used to be different. Then again, maybe the person I was dealing with doesn't know their official store policy.

I read the policy they have posted and it is unclear how DVDs and video games fit in, exactly. The general policy is that they accept returns for things without a receipt for the lowest price they've had it at in the lest 30 days. They list that DVDs and video games must be unopened or if they are opened they only do an exchange for the exact item. It does say something about a receipt, but the wording is very unclear as to whether they are referring to an unopened game/dvd that you want to exchange. At any rate, they wouldn't take a DVD without a receipt last time I went there.
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4275 posts
66 upvotes
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 12:38 pm
I brought the DVDs to Toys R Us and they told me they can't do it because of "security reasons" - I assume that this is new. So when I did it before, they were either not enforcing the same policy or it used to be different. Then again, maybe the person I was dealing with doesn't know their official store policy.

I read the policy they have posted and it is unclear how DVDs and video games fit in, exactly. The general policy is that they accept returns for things without a receipt for the lowest price they've had it at in the lest 30 days. They list that DVDs and video games must be unopened or if they are opened they only do an exchange for the exact item. It does say something about a receipt, but the wording is very unclear as to whether they are referring to an unopened game/dvd that you want to exchange. At any rate, they wouldn't take a DVD without a receipt last time I went there.
The reason is because people could go to store A, steal a bunch of DVDs, and return them to TRU. Stores aren't pawn shops.
May 14, 2007
79 posts
2 upvotes
I once worked at Wal-mart and they have tightened things up well I was there and since. When I worked there tho, you could return sealed movies and games for a gift card only without receipt. Opened ones could be replaced by the same copy and If they didn't have a copy only then will they give you credit and only if you said it was because it was defective. It was also that they took your ID and number and kept track and you were allowed up to $200 a year in returns without a receipt or $100 in one transaction. I have since heard they have changed it so the amounts allowed over a year without receipt. I have also heard that if you replace an opened copy with a new copy of the same title, they open the new copy before they hand it to you to stop you from re-returning it as new for full credit.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2878 posts
456 upvotes
Having worked in retail, and assisted in apprehending LOTS of shoplifters, I'll let everyone in on a little secret: a lot of the people coming back with "no receipt" simply walked into the store, picked up an item(s) off the shelf, waited until C/S desk was swamped, snuck into the returns line, and then said "I'd like a refund. I lost my receipt but as you can see, the box is unopened". When they're told "I'm sorry but the retail price on that item is $99.99 however without a receipt I can only give you a store credit for the last sale price of $69.99", they'd of course complain loudly for a bit, then back off and "accept" the offer. Easy money if you can pull it off...

No receipt? We used to require photo ID, and we'd record the customer's name, address, phone# and card#(driver's lic/health card, etc). Often people would complain and we'd say "tough, we're not processing the return then" until the stupid store owner came by and said "now now, we don't want a scene.. just put it through". And then the c/s girls who were earning a measly wage and didn't give a crap would use it as precedent and sometimes when there was even the slightest hesitation would even tell the customer "I had to ask, but don't worry about it". (they didn't last long if I ever heard them say that...)

That was a few years ago and I don't work in retail now. But since then I heard that by LAW, stores (in Ontario, anyhow) CANNOT demand ID from a customer when processing a return. If that's true that's insane that the law got passed - politicians obviously don't work retail, but still!

That may well be why many stores have cracked down on their return policies over the last few years.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18771 posts
1189 upvotes
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 12:17 pm

If Wal-Mart changed their policy, that's fine - I started this thread to find out if there is any store that has a policy that would allow me to get anything in return for brand new unopened items. Worst case scenario is that I bring them to Blockbuster and get $2-$3 for each unless I luck out.
?
No you didn't. You started this thread to see if anyone knew of any retail stores you could run your scams on to get money you don't deserve.

If all you actually wanted was $3-$5 for your DVDs then you'd have already taken them to a pawn shop or video store by now.

Walmart IS NOT a pawn shop. If you didn't buy the item there then misrepresenting that fact and returning it there is FRAUD, plain and simple.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 1:39 pm
Having worked in retail, and assisted in apprehending LOTS of shoplifters, I'll let everyone in on a little secret: a lot of the people coming back with "no receipt" simply walked into the store, picked up an item(s) off the shelf, waited until C/S desk was swamped, snuck into the returns line, and then said "I'd like a refund. I lost my receipt but as you can see, the box is unopened". When they're told "I'm sorry but the retail price on that item is $99.99 however without a receipt I can only give you a store credit for the last sale price of $69.99", they'd of course complain loudly for a bit, then back off and "accept" the offer. Easy money if you can pull it off...

No receipt? We used to require photo ID, and we'd record the customer's name, address, phone# and card#(driver's lic/health card, etc). Often people would complain and we'd say "tough, we're not processing the return then" until the stupid store owner came by and said "now now, we don't want a scene.. just put it through". And then the c/s girls who were earning a measly wage and didn't give a crap would use it as precedent and sometimes when there was even the slightest hesitation would even tell the customer "I had to ask, but don't worry about it". (they didn't last long if I ever heard them say that...)

That was a few years ago and I don't work in retail now. But since then I heard that by LAW, stores (in Ontario, anyhow) CANNOT demand ID from a customer when processing a return. If that's true that's insane that the law got passed - politicians obviously don't work retail, but still!

That may well be why many stores have cracked down on their return policies over the last few years.
Yeah whenever I have any kind of return to do in a store (usually with receipt), I make sure that I have the item in some kind of plastic bag inside a backpack or something and make sure a salesperson sees me coming in the store so I can tell them right away I have something to return. I'm aware that they could think I picked up something off the shelf (even if I had a receipt for the same item bought some other day) and I don't want the hassle of someone assuming that I'm shoplifting.

Almost every time I've returned something (with or without receipt) I've had to give them my ID and/or fill out some kind of form with my information on it. That's fine by me and will let them do it every time because I know I'm not breaking any law or trying to scam them out of merchandise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 1:53 pm
No you didn't. You started this thread to see if anyone knew of any retail stores you could run your scams on to get money you don't deserve.

If all you actually wanted was $3-$5 for your DVDs then you'd have already taken them to a pawn shop or video store by now.

Walmart IS NOT a pawn shop. If you didn't buy the item there then misrepresenting that fact and returning it there is FRAUD, plain and simple.
I'm not running scams. Some of my extended family members spent $15-$25 on these DVDs and didn't have receipts with them when they were given to me and although I could get a few bucks for them at a pawn shop or something, I'd rather get something that I actually want with my family's money instead of it just being wasted. I'm not misrepresenting myself if I tell the store that I got the items as gifts and that I don't know where they were purchased, I'm not telling one word of a lie. If a store says no to me, that's fine and I understand why they would. if they decide to take the DVDs, then that's their decision, it's not because I pulled off some huge scam to rip them off. I really don't know why I have to keep saying this over and over.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2878 posts
456 upvotes
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 2:22 pm
Yeah whenever...<SNIP>
I wasn't for one moment suggesting that you were about to do this, I was just sharing some insight into why stores with the lenient policy you seek are now few and far between.
scottyboy2k5 wrote:I really don't know why I have to keep saying this over and over
Probably has something to do with your "well put" reply to 'lionboy' earlier in the thread, seemingly agreeing with him that it's "in the math" so why not partake. If you were really the upstanding, honest and conscientious shopper that you purport yourself out to be, there's no way you'd agree with lionboy. And on top of that, IMHO it takes some balls to go into a store and say "I got this as a gift, it may not even have been bought here but will you take it off my hands please and give me money or store credit in exchange?".

I trust that you have written thank-you letters to your relatives explaining that while you appreciate the thought, you'd prefer in the future that they just send ca$h.

Nah, I didn't think so.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2855 posts
11 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Wow... thats clever indeed but damn that seriously takes it to a all new low.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 3:15 pm
I wasn't for one moment suggesting that you were about to do this, I was just sharing some insight into why stores with the lenient policy you seek are now few and far between.
I know you weren't suggesting that, I was just agreeing with you and further pointing out for others who want to keep attacking my morals that I am well aware of store policies and want to be sure I'm not accused of anything underhanded. I do appreciate the insight you offered...haha, earlier I was about to actually write "thanks for the insight" but was worried it would come off as sarcastic or rude.

What I was agreeing with is the fact that if a store has a policy of any sort, the expect it to be used in any way possible. Not what others have suggested that if stores assume they'll be robbed it's OK to rob them. But if a store says they will take something without a receipt, they are saying that it can be from anywhere. If they don't want that to be the case, they change their policy, as most stores have. It doesn't take balls to walk in and see what a customer service rep or a manager will do for their customers. If they say no, that's the worst that can happen.

And you're right, I didn't write my family letters. Instead, I personally told them that I'd prefer if they did not to buy me DVDs anymore, at least not without gift receipts.
Mar 14, 2005
453 posts
Edmonton, AB
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 12:56 am
Of course, you do know what you are contemplating is fraud, don't you?
I've brought back quite a few items to Best Buy.

I straight up tell them "I have received this as a gift. I don't have a receipt, I don't even know if it was purchased here. I just want to exchange it for something else".

As long as they sell the exact same item, they are happy to take it and give me a gift card.

You know why they are happy to give me a gift card? Because even if the original item was not purchased from them, I will likely be spending more money than the gift card is worth, giving them additional business anyways.

Regarding the other issues brought up in this thread, such as stealing from another store and returning to WalMart or something... well those are completely different issues and need to be solved through other means, such as better security.
Mar 14, 2005
453 posts
Edmonton, AB
RenegadeX wrote:
This is why BestBuy now sticks a red sticker on the item you are returning as soon as you walk in the door. That's what I've noticed at least.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
194 upvotes
Surrey
TakumiDC5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 4:30 pm
I've brought back quite a few items to Best Buy.

I straight up tell them "I have received this as a gift. I don't have a receipt, I don't even know if it was purchased here. I just want to exchange it for something else".

As long as they sell the exact same item, they are happy to take it and give me a gift card.
And you'll notice that I have said if someone does this sort of thing, I'm all for it. If the store's happy to do this, then great. It's when someone makes an inference that the item was purchased from the retailer when they either don't know, or know for sure it wasn't, that it is fraudulant.

But hey...keep it up. I may try this at Best Buy some time in the future myself. :-)

T
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!