Shopping Discussion

Return policies? Who takes back without a receipt?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2012 5:16 pm
Tags:
None
Member
Jul 17, 2007
226 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
TakumiDC5 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 4:30 pm
I've brought back quite a few items to Best Buy.

I straight up tell them "I have received this as a gift. I don't have a receipt, I don't even know if it was purchased here. I just want to exchange it for something else".

As long as they sell the exact same item, they are happy to take it and give me a gift card.

You know why they are happy to give me a gift card? Because even if the original item was not purchased from them, I will likely be spending more money than the gift card is worth, giving them additional business anyways.

Guys,
Honestly speaking I'm surprised that no one mentioned a main reason why stores do not want to take back DVD's without receipts.
Cost of different items is changed with time at very different ways. For example, hammers and nails are sold today and 1 year later on at about the same price, so a store does not loose money if you exchange hammer for nails or visa virsa. On the other hand, movies and games every 2-4 months will loose about half of the price, so if you bring back movies and games the store is going to loose money (even in the case you buy another DVD but NEWER).
Member
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
453 posts
Edmonton, AB
danibelo wrote:
Oct 26th, 2007 1:01 am
Guys,
Honestly speaking I'm surprised that no one mentioned a main reason why stores do not want to take back DVD's without receipts.
Cost of different items is changed with time at very different ways. For example, hammers and nails are sold today and 1 year later on at about the same price, so a store does not loose money if you exchange hammer for nails or visa virsa. On the other hand, movies and games every 2-4 months will loose about half of the price, so if you bring back movies and games the store is going to loose money (even in the case you buy another DVD but NEWER).
If a game loses half the price, the only one losing out is YOURSELF. They will only give you credit for the current value of the game.

A store could potentially lose money if someone buys something on sale and attempts to return it for store credit after the sale... this is why Canadian Tire only gives you the lowest price in the last 90days (or something like that) if you don't have a receipt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
Just as an update to my own question, I went to HMV to ask them about this and they said they require a receipt no matter what. Even though I also had a CD I was hoping to return that was purchased at HMV and still had a HMV price tag on it, they wouldn't take it back. Does anyone want to buy a CD of "The Best of Snow"? Haha, I should hope not....
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
Member
Jul 17, 2007
226 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
TakumiDC5 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2007 3:51 pm
If a game loses half the price, the only one losing out is YOURSELF. They will only give you credit for the current value of the game.
The cost of the game (or another item) decreases gradually, while the price (that reflects the cost) is changed from time to time. If you return immediately after the price change, the store indeed does not loose money, but in all other cases the store will loose some money. My point is that price of some items (DVD, movie) decreases MUCH faster than for others (hammers or nails). This should be a real reason why stores do not mind when you bring back most of the items, but not DVDs or movies.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
danibelo wrote:
Oct 27th, 2007 1:59 pm
The cost of the game (or another item) decreases gradually, while the price (that reflects the cost) is changed from time to time. If you return immediately after the price change, the store indeed does not loose money, but in all other cases the store will loose some money. My point is that price of some items (DVD, movie) decreases MUCH faster than for others (hammers or nails). This should be a real reason why stores do not mind when you bring back most of the items, but not DVDs or movies.
I think you're wrong...here's why:
If you but a game at $50 and then wait to return when the price has dropped to $40, the store has the game back and an extra $10 in their register.
Therefore, something that has a price that drops faster and you return it for an even lower % of the original cost, the store benefits even more.
I don't understand your argument at all.
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
Member
Jul 17, 2007
226 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2007 2:35 pm
I think you're wrong...here's why:
If you but a game at $50 and then wait to return when the price has dropped to $40, the store has the game back and an extra $10 in their register.
Therefore, something that has a price that drops faster and you return it for an even lower % of the original cost, the store benefits even more.
I don't understand your argument at all.
Let's say, you buy today a movie for $50. In 30 days it will be discounted to $40. If you return it after 31 days without a receipt, you get $40 and the store has $10 and the DVD (but now it can be sold only for $40, so the store does not benefit, as you suppose). If you return the DVD after 29 days, you get back your $50 and the store gets the disc that tomorrow will be discounted anyway, so the store obviously lost money. Moreover, if you return an unopened movie with a receipt (does not matter, after 29 or 31 days), the store will loose some money again.
In the reality the situation is even worse for the store: they buy the DVD for $25 from a manufacturer, when you return it even for $40 they loose money, because they buy it from you for $40 instead of buying one additional new movie from a manufacturer for $25. So the store will loose money in all the cases when you return the DVD.
BTW, in the argument I don't support or accuse you, I just want to help you to understand clearly the situation. ANY store will loose money every time you return ANY item. But they do it-otherwise you will go to another store that takes back goods at better conditions (more days, without receipt, no questions etc.). The more items are returned (both opened and unopened) the more stores loose and the higher will be the prices. The higher are prices, the more motivation you have to return an item if you are not completely satisfied. It is one of the reasons why here all the items are 2-10 times more expensive than in China (for example).
Hopefully, it is clear enough.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
I get what you're saying, but I still think I have a valid point. I know you're not accusing me or anything like that.
If you bought the game for $50 and return if for $40, the store has made $10 and still has the game. If they sell it again for $40, they STILL have the extra $10 you gave them and so they aren't losing anything.
Haha, but whatever, it's not really that important to keep talking about.
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
Member
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
453 posts
Edmonton, AB
danibelo wrote:
Oct 28th, 2007 3:38 am
Let's say, you buy today a movie for $50. In 30 days it will be discounted to $40. If you return it after 31 days without a receipt, you get $40 and the store has $10 and the DVD (but now it can be sold only for $40, so the store does not benefit, as you suppose). If you return the DVD after 29 days, you get back your $50 and the store gets the disc that tomorrow will be discounted anyway, so the store obviously lost money. Moreover, if you return an unopened movie with a receipt (does not matter, after 29 or 31 days), the store will loose some money again.
In the reality the situation is even worse for the store: they buy the DVD for $25 from a manufacturer, when you return it even for $40 they loose money, because they buy it from you for $40 instead of buying one additional new movie from a manufacturer for $25. So the store will loose money in all the cases when you return the DVD.
BTW, in the argument I don't support or accuse you, I just want to help you to understand clearly the situation. ANY store will loose money every time you return ANY item. But they do it-otherwise you will go to another store that takes back goods at better conditions (more days, without receipt, no questions etc.). The more items are returned (both opened and unopened) the more stores loose and the higher will be the prices. The higher are prices, the more motivation you have to return an item if you are not completely satisfied. It is one of the reasons why here all the items are 2-10 times more expensive than in China (for example).
Hopefully, it is clear enough.
I buy a DVD for $30 when it first comes out. I do not open it. Here are 2 possible options:

I return it with a receipt - if there is a price drop during the 30 days, then the only case where the store 'loses' money is if they could have sold the DVD to someone else at the higher price (which, of course, is possible, but not guaranteed). Say, the price is now $20, so yes if someone was waiting to buy that DVD at the $30 price and they couldn't because I held it in my hands, the store lost $10 in potential revenue. If no one was going to buy it anyways, it would've just sat on the shelf, and the store is back to where they started, no loss no gain.

If I return it without a receipt: The store gives me credit for only $20 (the current price of the product). I am the one who has lost $10, since I bought it for $30. The store resells the DVD for $20, no loss to them. In the end, the store has my $10 plus $20 for the resold DVD. They do not gain, but they do not lose money as you claim.

As you can see, returning the item without a receipt does not benefit the customer where the price of the product has dropped.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
18771 posts
1189 upvotes
TakumiDC5 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2007 1:15 pm
I buy a DVD for $30 when it first comes out. I do not open it. Here are 2 possible options:

I return it with a receipt - if there is a price drop during the 30 days, then the only case where the store 'loses' money is if they could have sold the DVD to someone else at the higher price (which, of course, is possible, but not guaranteed). Say, the price is now $20, so yes if someone was waiting to buy that DVD at the $30 price and they couldn't because I held it in my hands, the store lost $10 in potential revenue. If no one was going to buy it anyways, it would've just sat on the shelf, and the store is back to where they started, no loss no gain.

If I return it without a receipt: The store gives me credit for only $20 (the current price of the product). I am the one who has lost $10, since I bought it for $30. The store resells the DVD for $20, no loss to them. In the end, the store has my $10 plus $20 for the resold DVD. They do not gain, but they do not lose money as you claim.

As you can see, returning the item without a receipt does not benefit the customer where the price of the product has dropped.
Scenario 3. You buy an unopened on eBay or some other discount place for $5. WM sells the same one for $15. You return it to WM for $15 credit. WM never ends up selling the DVD cause it is a POS.

You get $15, WM loses $10 plus inventory costs, you commit fraud.
Sr. Member
Apr 9, 2007
698 posts
2 upvotes
As a consumer who is a buying something new, the last thing I want is to buy a product that was sitting in someones house for months and who knows where it was purchased.

I really hope retailers tighten up their return policies.
scottyboy2k5 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2007 7:52 pm
I am trying to find a store where I can return a few DVDs that I received as gifts and have no receipts for. I'd rather not trade them in for a couple bucks at BBV or something like that since they are new, unopened movies.

Toys R Us used to take them, but now they are refusing, saying I need a receipt for DVDs or games.

Are there any stores that would take back DVDs for store credit or cash refund?

Thanks!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2007 2:23 pm
Scenario 3. You buy an unopened on eBay or some other discount place for $5. WM sells the same one for $15. You return it to WM for $15 credit. WM never ends up selling the DVD cause it is a POS.

You get $15, WM loses $10 plus inventory costs, you commit fraud.
there's always a way to figure out how to commit fraud, this was never the intent of this thread.

IF wal-mart lets you do this, whether it's fraud on your part or not (depends on how you present your case to them when returning the item) they are hoping you will use the $15 in credit towards a bigger purchase and thus end up spending more money at their store instead of taking your business elsewhere.
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
urban1 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2007 2:40 pm
As a consumer who is a buying something new, the last thing I want is to buy a product that was sitting in someones house for months and who knows where it was purchased.

I really hope retailers tighten up their return policies.
they HAVE tightened up their policies, this is why the thread was started...to find out if anyone hasn't. you never really know who has handled merchandise in a store before you buy it, which really isn't much different than if someone had a dvd at home and brought it back to exchange. do you have a problem if the person HAS a receipt and returns the item and it gets re-sold to you?
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013
Member
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
453 posts
Edmonton, AB
brunes wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2007 2:23 pm
Scenario 3. You buy an unopened on eBay or some other discount place for $5. WM sells the same one for $15. You return it to WM for $15 credit. WM never ends up selling the DVD cause it is a POS.

You get $15, WM loses $10 plus inventory costs, you commit fraud.
Jesus christ STFU with the fraud non-sense already.

If you have been honest with them and told them it may or may not have been purchased at said store, its up to the business whether they want to take the DVD back in exchange for credit or not. Its a straight exchange of goods for money (or store credit in this case), nothing more nothing less. And NOTHING illegal about it.

At this point it doesn't matter whether you bought the original DVD off ebay for $5, or from futureshop for $50. Its an exchange of goods for money and that's it. Nobody is forcing walmart to accept the return. They do it because they know you will take that $15 credit and (likely) spend $20,$30, maybe $50 on something else
Member
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
453 posts
Edmonton, AB
brunes wrote:
Oct 25th, 2007 9:49 am
...because if you truthfully say "I am not sure where these are from", they are not going to accept the return OR exchange. Simple as that.
Really? Is it as simple as that?

Because I've told them straight up many times before "I don't know where this item was bought, but I just want to exchange it for something else". If they sell the same item (and you don't look like a criminal), they WILL LET YOU EXCHANGE IT.

That's how simple it is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
366 upvotes
TakumiDC5 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2007 3:15 pm
Really? Is it as simple as that?

Because I've told them straight up many times before "I don't know where this item was bought, but I just want to exchange it for something else". If they sell the same item (and you don't look like a criminal), they WILL LET YOU EXCHANGE IT.

That's how simple it is.
thanks for the input...which stores have taken things back from you without a receipt? this is the info i'm looking for by making this thread. :)
Pepsi prizes: Xbox 360 Oct 2005 (BFTP), 40" HDTV Nov 2006 (WEH), $5000 Runner Up 2008 (Design Our Can), XBox 360 + 6 NFL Hats 2008 (WTP), Flip MinoHD Camcorder June 2009, Xbox One + Forza Dec 2013

Top