Shopping Discussion

Return Policy Changes Coming Soon: Payback time for abusers.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2011 12:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1754 upvotes

Return Policy Changes Coming Soon: Payback time for abusers.

I just heard on CBC news that a new kind of legislation is in the works and this will affect your shopping experience and how you return/exchange items. Those who genuinely has an issue need not to worry, but abusers who continue to borrow and return will soon need to present a valid id card with their return and this information will be attached to your account. Im not sure what exactly are the changes but it seems that finally the stores are joining forces to clamp down on return policy abusers.

I would love to find out more info about this, feel free to correct me if Ive heard it wrong.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4954 posts
1385 upvotes
mrperfect wrote: I just heard on CBC news that a new kind of legislation is in the works and this will affect your shopping experience and how you return/exchange items. Those who genuinely has an issue need not to worry, but abusers who continue to borrow and return will soon need to present a valid id card with their return and this information will be attached to your account. Im not sure what exactly are the changes but it seems that finally the stores are joining forces to clamp down on return policy abusers.

I would love to find out more info about this, feel free to correct me if Ive heard it wrong.

Source ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1754 upvotes
Coz4k wrote: Source ?

It was in cbc radio news. Im also looking it up online with no luck. I really didnt understood how they going to implement this but I do know that it is going to be tied to provincial ids and all returns will be tagged and compiled for chronic abusers.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7814 posts
217 upvotes
i know TRU has it in their system already...
had to return a bunch of stuff when we had our first child, and was advised that i am reaching my limit of returning things without a receipt.as you need to provide id
that was a while ago, and have since returned stuff....so maybe they've reset my 'return count'?

costco has it in their system, so not sure if they would be affected.

i assume you'll need to provide reciept & ID (since walmart changed their policy too that i've read on rfd)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1754 upvotes
sienna owner wrote: i know TRU has it in their system already...
had to return a bunch of stuff when we had our first child, and was advised that i am reaching my limit of returning things without a receipt.as you need to provide id
that was a while ago, and have since returned stuff....so maybe they've reset my 'return count'?

costco has it in their system, so not sure if they would be affected.

i assume you'll need to provide reciept & ID (since walmart changed their policy too that i've read on rfd)

Yes - all returns must be made with a provincial issued id and they will have all records of how often said customer returns items. I do apologize for not having much information but if implemented properly this thing could finally nail down the bad apples. I rather have a controlled return policy than no return policy. The guy on the radio said that they suffer over $4 billion dollar in loses each year due ro return fraud, missing and damaged items.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7814 posts
217 upvotes
mrperfect wrote: Yes - all returns must be made with a provincial issued id and they will have all records of how often said customer returns items. I do apologize for not having much information but if implemented properly this thing could finally nail down the bad apples. I rather have a controlled return policy than no return policy. The guy on the radio said that they suffer over $4 billion dollar in loses each year due ro return fraud, missing and damaged items.

it could, but there will always be loop holes...LOL
and then it's a matter of how long those records remain inthe system, before they fall off...kind of like demerits for DL
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1529 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't most stores keep record of this stuff already? Most places state that photo ID could be required because of high level of fraud... They also track you by credit card used, phone number etc...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3169 posts
102 upvotes
It's about time. But most stores already keep track of this with phone numbers, names, debit/credit card etc.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
Anything that makes retaillers more efficient and reduces the cost of goods to the end-users can't possibly be a bad thing.

I would also suggest that a good amount of 'return fraud' is conducted by insiders or those acquainted with insiders. Thinly-veiled employee theft.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1754 upvotes
Joshray wrote: It's about time. But most stores already keep track of this with phone numbers, names, debit/credit card etc.

I think the new changes have something to do with information sharing across retailers, Im not 100% sure but thats how it sounded.
Banned
Jan 19, 2009
2301 posts
98 upvotes
but what will i do with this used deodorant stick?????
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
Actually many stores cut back on collecting information due to privacy laws. I can't see how the government could legislate stores to collect more information or how this would be done on a national basis. There is just too little information on what is being proposed to even discuss this. Perhaps the OP or someone can find a credible source and post it here. Until then, there is nothing to discuss, let alone worry about.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
Mark77 wrote: Anything that makes retaillers more efficient and reduces the cost of goods to the end-users can't possibly be a bad thing.

I would also suggest that a good amount of 'return fraud' is conducted by insiders or those acquainted with insiders. Thinly-veiled employee theft.

Well, it is a bad thing if you are handing over private information to the same people that in the second paragraph you are accusing of employee theft. The information that you are providing can be used for identity theft.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.