Shopping Discussion

Return policy at Lastman’s Bad Boy.... buyer beware. Can you advise?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2018 6:35 am
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario

Return policy at Lastman’s Bad Boy.... buyer beware. Can you advise?

On Thursday I bought a 58”Tv, a Tv stand and a Samsung Soundbar at Bad Boy in North York. I bought the sound bar because I was told by the salesman it was Bluetooth compatible with the TV I was buying and would solve my issue with cables and connecting wires. Set up TV on Thursday and had to pick up sound bar from their warehouse on Friday. Turns out the sound bar will not connect via Bluetooth as the TV is not Bluetooth compatible. I know their policy of final sale ... however I only bought the sound bar trusting the salesman’s statement the it would work as he promised. On Saturday I called both the store and customer service asking for a refund on the sound bar as it did not work as promised. Left three messages at the store for both the salesperson and the manager and neither returned my call (after I told the receptionist briefly the issue). And customer service told me the store manager had to deal with the issue. At 4 p.m. I went into the store as I felt it would be better to have a face to face discussion. In brief, the salesperson denied that he said that it would work wirelessly, that there was no such thing available on the market, the manager then reiterated the same and said they don’t take back used electronics, he then called his expert tech over who also said no such thing exists. I am not stupid and don’t MAKE UP what I heard, that is because I don’t understand how any of these things work, however my 30 year old son was with me and he does understand. While talking with the manager and tech they said that I had to prove that there were tv’s that could work with Bluetooth wirelessly so while on the phone with my son he sent me links from Samsung showing many models that do indeed works on Bluetooth just not the one we bought. Manager said you are looking at US website and Canadians models are different. I went onto the selling floor and asked my son to look up two other Samsung models on their sales floor and Voila, they both had Bluetooth. Went back to the tech and manager to tell the, ,then they twisted the story saying I should have checked, to which I replied I relied on the expertise of your staff, he sold me the tv and sound bar at the same time so there was no question he knew which tv we were dealing with. I left the store because after 2 hours the manager only agreed to a 25% restocking fee and I knew that I was getting nowhere with the staff their changing reasons why it was my fault. It felt so distasteful and dishonest. I will be calling head office on Monday and will focus on the fact that I was misinformed/mislead by their staff in buying an item which does not do as he ensured me it would. Any advise on how to simply tell head office with a good result - take back the unit. Now it is he said, she said....although their reasons changed with every counter argument I had. I just want to return the sound bar.
23 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
4531 posts
1768 upvotes
I’ve always been told this advice and take it to heart when dealing with others
“ if it wasn’t written, it was never said”
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10071 posts
1410 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 6:38 am
I’ve always been told this advice and take it to heart when dealing with others
“ if it wasn’t written, it was never said”
Exactly. NEVER trust what a salesman says IF they didn’t put it in writing.

I think it’s safe to say the majority of us have been burned in one way or another this way and we’ve learnt our lessons.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5434 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 6:38 am
I’ve always been told this advice and take it to heart when dealing with others
“ if it wasn’t written, it was never said”
Unfortunately that is true, but it's also rather ridiculous that every little detail that the salesman said has to be written down.

Problem is that many sales people don't have a clue about the products they sell and will promise the customer anything just to make a sale.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
2567 posts
1611 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
...apparently you didn't buy the ability to put paragraphs into your posts while you were there, either.

TL;DR.

What I did gather from the first sentence before my eyes started bleeding was that you bought something on the basis of what a sales droid told you, and you didn't bother checking the specs yourself.

When it comes to store return policies, if said policies are posted at the checkout area for your viewing before you complete the transaction, then you have accepted said policies when you complete the transaction and therefore you've got no exception to said policies unless the item is sold as defective or otherwise is not able to do what it is meant to do.

You could contact the vendor through their contact portals (including social media such as Twitter)...but make sure you use paragraphs...and may get somewhere. Considering that you could have done your own due diligence for this purchase, you may be able to ask them for a store credit if they're not prepared to give a refund.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5434 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Can't really argue with ALLCAPS post, however re
"Considering that you could have done your own due diligence for this purchase........"

sounds to me the purchase went something like this:
Went in to buy the TV (which I had researched)
TV sound quality came up during the sale
Soundbar was suggested
Purchaser raised concern about cabling
Sales rep recommended Bluetooth Soundbar
Nobody thought to go back to check if TV was Bluetooth compatible.
.............just my guess based on the OP's post

However, if the OP went in to buy the TV and the soundbar from the get go, with the internet and google I suppose it would be reasonable to expect the OP to verify they work together.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1011 posts
571 upvotes
AB
Never trust a salesman, should always do your own research before buying. Especially if you knew they had a final sale return policy. It is up to the customer to know what he is purchasing and it’s features and limitations.

It doesn’t matter what they said to make the sale, once they have your money it is your problem.

I’m honestly surprised they even bent to do a restocking fee.

If you aren’t knowledgeable about the product, feel free to read up, or bring a friend. But definitely don’t trust the trash most salesman say, they can’t remember all the specs or all the tech they sell, most barely even have a basic understanding of the product I have found.

It’s not like 20-30yrs ago where the salesman had to know his stuff.. now they are mostly just the front man to talk about price or extra warranties, not actual knowledge.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
3263 posts
1277 upvotes
GTA
The sales person lied to you to get the sale. Places like Bad Boy and The Brick are known for that. It sounds like you already returned it and agreed to a 25% restocking fee? If not...

I hope you paid with your credit card, this is your only out. Only thing you can do is talk to the manager or head office and tell them that because the manager and his sales person is dishonest, that you will be doing a charge back on your credit card.

Threaten them with a chargeback first, and if they don't bend, call your CC company and see if you can proceed with a charge back due to the product not having the features you were told by the salesperson.

And for the love of God people, stop shopping at Bad Boy and The Brick.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1498 posts
719 upvotes
Sales people at these places are vultures waiting for their next easy meal - they would probably scam their own family for a commission cheque.

Take it as a cheap lesson learned - always do your own research or get it in writing.

Also, you could have bought a bluetooth adapter for your TV
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 28, 2017
548 posts
341 upvotes
mel lastman was a joke when he was the mayor of TO.... you should have first checked buyers reviews of experiences at bad boy before going in. they sell cheap furniture and don't back up their warranties on anything without a fight.

secondly, there ARE bluetooth soundbars.... we have one. BUT you get better sound and connection using the old wires and cables method of hooking up. so why you fought for a refund of the soundbar made no sense. why not just keep it since you had concerns about the sound quality of the tv speakers (btw, unless you are paying in the high 4's most tv's will have sh!tty sounding speakers due to the slimness of the tv frame.

so bad boy furniture just scored a free bonus from you with the 25% restocking fee scam they pull. just chalk it up to a bad experience and look up reviews of a place before going in with money in your hand. you at least know the product itself is covered by a manufacturers warranty so no worries there.... just worry about the seller !
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5298 posts
5949 upvotes
Regardless whether that salesperson miscommunicated the information to you at the beginning, from your conversation, the salesperson, the manager, and the tech should all be fired as they don't even qualify for the job because they don't even know what kind of product the company is selling.

Op, you should pretend as a customer first when you visit the store again and ask the same question. Of course, you need to record the entire conversation. I believe if the salesperson lied to you at the past, he will lie to you or other customers again.
Member
May 30, 2013
343 posts
219 upvotes
Markham
Never trust a saleman, and there are reasons they called badboys.
I think a $10 hdmi or toslink cable will solve your problem.
Consider it a lesson learnt, and never to buy from them again.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5434 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
peytonpeanut2017 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 8:18 pm
secondly, there ARE bluetooth soundbars.... we have one. BUT you get better sound and connection using the old wires and cables method of hooking up. so why you fought for a refund of the soundbar made no sense. why not just keep it since you had concerns about the sound quality of the tv speakers (btw, unless you are paying in the high 4's most tv's will have sh!tty sounding speakers due to the slimness of the tv frame.

so bad boy furniture just scored a free bonus from you with the 25% restocking fee scam they pull. just chalk it up to a bad experience and look up reviews of a place before going in with money in your hand. you at least know the product itself is covered by a manufacturers warranty so no worries there.... just worry about the seller !
I don't really understand any of your comments.
For one, the OP has a bluetooth soundbar, so I don't know why you say "there ARE bluetooth soundbars" the OP knows that already
And "why you fought for a refund of the soundbar made no sense. why not just keep it since you had concerns about the sound quality of the tv speakers" - the OP wants a refund because the bluetooth sound bar can't connect to the TV since it is not Bluetooth compatible (although the OP could spend another $30 to $60" to get a bluetooth domgle for the TV)
And "bad boy furniture just scored a free bonus from you with the 25% restocking fee scam they pull" - at this point Bad Boy didn't score anything since the OP said that the manager offered to take the sound bar back for a 25% restocking fee, not that the OP actually returned it.

I agree with you, a wire connection is definitely better than a bluetooth connection, with Bluetooth not only is the quality not that great, some devices also have a noticable latency problem.
I don't know which sound bar the OP bought, but wouldn't most Bluetooth sound bars also have a normal wired input?
I have some inexpensive Bluetooth mini-speakers with only cost between $20 and $30 and they all have an audio input jack as well.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5434 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
chanc2 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 8:38 pm
I think a $10 hdmi or toslink cable will solve your problem.
Consider it a lesson learnt, and never to buy from them again.
If the OP posted make and model of the TV and the sound bar, I'm sure people here would post possible solutions to get the two to work together - either wirelessly with some sort of dongle or using various cable options.
All depends on the inputs and outputs avaiable on each device.
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
krs wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 3:39 pm
Can't really argue with ALLCAPS post, however re
"Considering that you could have done your own due diligence for this purchase........"

sounds to me the purchase went something like this:
Went in to buy the TV (which I had researched)
TV sound quality came up during the sale
Soundbar was suggested
Purchaser raised concern about cabling
Sales rep recommended Bluetooth Soundbar
Nobody thought to go back to check if TV was Bluetooth compatible.
.............just my guess based on the OP's post

However, if the OP went in to buy the TV and the soundbar from the get go, with the internet and google I suppose it would be reasonable to expect the OP to verify they work together.
Thank you. It happened as you more succinctly wrote above....sound bar was suggested and I purchased it with the salesman’s advice that it would work wirelessly- through Bluetooth with the TV. Now we are four days in without a response from customer service manager. Very disappointed and angry.

Top