Shopping Discussion

Return policy at Lastman’s Bad Boy.... buyer beware. Can you advise?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2018 6:35 am
[OP]
May 11, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
krs wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 8:49 pm
I don't really understand any of your comments.
For one, the OP has a bluetooth soundbar, so I don't know why you say "there ARE bluetooth soundbars" the OP knows that already
And "why you fought for a refund of the soundbar made no sense. why not just keep it since you had concerns about the sound quality of the tv speakers" - the OP wants a refund because the bluetooth sound bar can't connect to the TV since it is not Bluetooth compatible (although the OP could spend another $30 to $60" to get a bluetooth domgle for the TV)
And "bad boy furniture just scored a free bonus from you with the 25% restocking fee scam they pull" - at this point Bad Boy didn't score anything since the OP said that the manager offered to take the sound bar back for a 25% restocking fee, not that the OP actually returned it.

I agree with you, a wire connection is definitely better than a bluetooth connection, with Bluetooth not only is the quality not that great, some devices also have a noticable latency problem.
I don't know which sound bar the OP bought, but wouldn't most Bluetooth sound bars also have a normal wired input?
I have some inexpensive Bluetooth mini-speakers with only cost between $20 and $30 and they all have an audio input jack as well.
Thanks. Have not returned it. Waiting for customer service to call me back - like waiting for Godot! Want to have a decent argument if I Contact BBB and consumer protection Ontario. The law clearly states that companies can have a no refund policy however not if the customer was deceived with false information, This issue is not about how to solve the connection from the sound bar to the TV - it is about not getting what I was sold - a sound bar which connected by Bluetooth to the TV he just sold me. Deception by a salesman - the company representative - should not be acceptable by any standard.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3962 posts
4138 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That salesman has potential, what the heck is he doing at a furniture store?? He'd be a star at a car dealership.

OP, just keep nagging them on their social media pages, call their head office, you'll eventually get your money back. A sound bar is cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5246 posts
800 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
hedych wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 8:42 pm
Thanks. Have not returned it. Waiting for customer service to call me back - like waiting for Godot! Want to have a decent argument if I Contact BBB and consumer protection Ontario. The law clearly states that companies can have a no refund policy however not if the customer was deceived with false information, This issue is not about how to solve the connection from the sound bar to the TV - it is about not getting what I was sold - a sound bar which connected by Bluetooth to the TV he just sold me. Deception by a salesman - the company representative - should not be acceptable by any standard.
I don't know all the details of the transaction, ie were there any witnesses to your conversation with the sales person, but the way I see it from your description it's your word against theirs.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7399 posts
1689 upvotes
Mississauga
It is easy to blame the salesman in any situation that doesn't work in your favor. If I`m planning on spending good money on anything I research before I even enter a store. In a lot of cases you will know more than the salesperson especially buying electronics at a furniture store. You could of easily looked on the TV box and sound bar box to see of Bluetooth compatible.

Sorry it happened to you but lesson learned, I would start with customer service and if that goes nowhere contact global tv.

Another option is to get badboy`s to supply you with one of their $150.00 fancy cables and hook the sound bar up to your tv.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
5842 posts
3817 upvotes
Toronto
hedych wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 6:13 am
On Thursday I bought a 58”Tv, a Tv stand and a Samsung Soundbar at Bad Boy in North York. I bought the sound bar because I was told by the salesman it was Bluetooth compatible with the TV I was buying and would solve my issue with cables and connecting wires. Set up TV on Thursday and had to pick up sound bar from their warehouse on Friday. Turns out the sound bar will not connect via Bluetooth as the TV is not Bluetooth compatible. I know their policy of final sale ... however I only bought the sound bar trusting the salesman’s statement the it would work as he promised. On Saturday I called both the store and customer service asking for a refund on the sound bar as it did not work as promised. Left three messages at the store for both the salesperson and the manager and neither returned my call (after I told the receptionist briefly the issue). And customer service told me the store manager had to deal with the issue. At 4 p.m. I went into the store as I felt it would be better to have a face to face discussion. In brief, the salesperson denied that he said that it would work wirelessly, that there was no such thing available on the market, the manager then reiterated the same and said they don’t take back used electronics, he then called his expert tech over who also said no such thing exists. I am not stupid and don’t MAKE UP what I heard, that is because I don’t understand how any of these things work, however my 30 year old son was with me and he does understand. While talking with the manager and tech they said that I had to prove that there were tv’s that could work with Bluetooth wirelessly so while on the phone with my son he sent me links from Samsung showing many models that do indeed works on Bluetooth just not the one we bought. Manager said you are looking at US website and Canadians models are different. I went onto the selling floor and asked my son to look up two other Samsung models on their sales floor and Voila, they both had Bluetooth. Went back to the tech and manager to tell the, ,then they twisted the story saying I should have checked, to which I replied I relied on the expertise of your staff, he sold me the tv and sound bar at the same time so there was no question he knew which tv we were dealing with. I left the store because after 2 hours the manager only agreed to a 25% restocking fee and I knew that I was getting nowhere with the staff their changing reasons why it was my fault. It felt so distasteful and dishonest. I will be calling head office on Monday and will focus on the fact that I was misinformed/mislead by their staff in buying an item which does not do as he ensured me it would. Any advise on how to simply tell head office with a good result - take back the unit. Now it is he said, she said....although their reasons changed with every counter argument I had. I just want to return the sound bar.
TLDR : Badboy salesman lies to gullible customer

Old news is old
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11214 posts
6036 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Sales people are shady to begin with, never trust the sales person. Anywho, tell them you'll bring this to the media's attention if they don't rectify this.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
May 11, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Have just spoken to customer service who will speak to a senior manager and hopefully get back to me on Monday. She certainly seemed to understand the issue. I did not speak in paragraphs! Just difficult to be succinct when the story is not as straightforward as it may seem.
Jul 29, 2013
796 posts
428 upvotes
hedych wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 5:16 pm
Have just spoken to customer service who will speak to a senior manager and hopefully get back to me on Monday. She certainly seemed to understand the issue. I did not speak in paragraphs! Just difficult to be succinct when the story is not as straightforward as it may seem.
You do not think in paragraphs but it makes it much easier for the reader to view and digest what you are saying if you chop your thoughts into packets (paragraphs).

Yours is a very interesting important post but I had to force myself to read it. Almost made my eyes bleed. I had to fight to comprehend the content.
Please consider reposting with paragraphs so readers will be more inclined not to pass over the valuable information you shared to help others.

Good luck on Monday.
[OP]
May 11, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Finally, after much perseverance was offered a full store credit for the amount. Took the offer because it was the best I felt they would do for me. Happy with the conclusion.