• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 8:05 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9967 posts
854 upvotes

Return worn shoes to Canadian tire

...let me start by saying I'm never the type to return items if I can help it.

But I bought a pair of steel-toed shoes from Canadian tire. Wore them for 5 days now. they are super uncomfortable, I keep getting blisters despite me trying them with different socks (I keep thinking the thickness of the socks is the issue).

Now they are worn, can I still return the shoes?? Advice please. thanks
21 replies
Mar 14, 2006
950 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
I would contact the manufacture for this issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2298 posts
1244 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
kingofwale wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:42 am
But I bought a pair of steel-toed shoes from Canadian tire. Wore them for 5 days now. they are super uncomfortable,

My advice would be to read the return policy listed on the back of the receipt and contact Canadian Tire directly if you require clarification.

Worn shoes are generally non returnable at any retailer.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2672 posts
640 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
kingofwale wrote:

But I bought a pair of steel-toed shoes from Canadian tire. Wore them for 5 days now. they are super uncomfortable, I keep getting blisters despite me trying them with different socks (I keep thinking the thickness of the socks is the issue).

Blisters can be avoided if you can get foot to boot slip to move from skin to sock to boot to sock. With two pairs of socks of suitable thickness you might be able to get one sock to slide against the other leaving the skin to sock contact fixed.

I've save a multi-day hike by putting a slippery sock on last. Roughest sock against skin, smoothest sock against boot.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1702 posts
545 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Good luck with Canadian Tire lol
Jun 10, 2008
275 posts
149 upvotes
Brampton
Good luck. One time crappy tire wouldn't return a $4 Keychain in the packaging for me. Another time a space heater that blew up with my receipt that showed I purchased it 35mins before. I don't shop there anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2613 posts
1438 upvotes
Vancouver
Wore clothing of any sort generally means no return... that include shoes. CT generally dont take back anything used so realistically you are probably out of luck.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5265 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
How much did you pay for the steel toes?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1502 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Take a picture of your feet and send them to me via PM. Want to see if the blisters are bad.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1965 posts
429 upvotes
kingofwale wrote:

Give it a try.

I returned some poor quality CTC winter boots a few months after buying when there were holes in the soles and succeeded! I only buy Merrill now. Two years and hardly and sole wear.
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite
2% cold hard cash on everything, no caps, VISA acceptance
48 day medical insurance, trip cxl, trip interrupt
Discuss here
Feb 5, 2007
390 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
You should never skimp on anything that helps your senses or is part of your daily livelihood. Paying 50% more for a comfortable, long lasting work boot translates to so much less pain and suffering
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7105 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
+1 on Kellymxxxx comment.

Get a pair of sock liners. A good quality sock like smartwool or icebreaker I'd recommend as they wick moisture away from your feet so they stay dry. Pair it with any sock thick or thin.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13408 posts
5808 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Marzipan wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:52 am
Blisters can be avoided if you can get foot to boot slip to move from skin to sock to boot to sock. With two pairs of socks of suitable thickness you might be able to get one sock to slide against the other leaving the skin to sock contact fixed.

I've save a multi-day hike by putting a slippery sock on last. Roughest sock against skin, smoothest sock against boot.
The usual recommendation is the opposite. Put the thin socks next to the skin, then the thicker socks over that. I use so-called "liner socks" made of polypropylene, e.g. WIGWAM GOBI LINER SOCKS - 2 PACK - UNISEX at MEC. These tend to stick to the skin especially once the feet start to sweat a bit. As a result any abrasion from foot movement in the boot is between this "second skin" and the main heavier wool socks.

An alternative is to apply bandage tape like 3M's Micropore over the areas that rub before putting on regular socks. There are many variants of this tape made from paper and synthetic materials in various thicknesses so you may have to experiment a bit. I apply this in the rare occasions when I feel a blister coming.
veni, vidi, Visa