Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2003
2235 posts
71 upvotes
monty613 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 3:55 pm
i say "I wonder what camera the guy used to take that?" all the time and continue to. equipment plays a huge role in creating a stunning picture. maybe i'm a gear wh0re but that's the whole reason i got into dslr photography! i always loved taking photos, but had always used a P&S and been bound it's limited capacity.

that being said, just because you have the right equipment doesn't mean your pictures will automatically be stellar quality. technique, creativity, and composition play an integral part as well.
I totally disagree with the first part of your statement. I've seen a lot of good photos taken with decent P&S cameras. I have some really nice photos I took with my Canon A75 when I had it and now with my more current Canon S80. Just becasue someone goes out and buys the best camera body and best glass doesn't mean they'll automatically know how to compose a picture and develop and eye for an interesting image. And no, camera equipement doesn't play a huge role in making a stunning image - the person does. A good photographer can take better picture with a P&S then an amature can with the best equipment.

The only time equipement pops in my head when looking at an image is when it's something taken with a Holga or Polaroid, and has a look that you can't really pull off with digital. And even then it's not the first thing that pops into my mind, and it's usually thinking that it isn't a digital image that comes to mind.

I will agree that a better camera and the ability to swap a lens for specific needs allows for more flexibility, but it is in no way all there is to it.