Shopping Discussion

Locked: Returning a best buy external hard drive.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2016 3:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 2, 2010
769 posts
130 upvotes

Returning a best buy external hard drive.

Yeah so I like an idiot I bought an external harddrive from best buy, but Its not until after I opened it. I realized there was no wifi feature.(did not use it at all.)
I know that best buy wont take it cuz its opened

But would it work if I bought the same exact one from costco and returned it to Best buy, and I returned the opened one to costco?

I used to do it with amazon and best buy for video games(waiting on amazon order just buy the same game on bestbuy on release date, and return the amazon sealed copy to best buy). So I was wonderint would it work for this as well.
Share:
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1825 posts
1099 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
So you are telling us that you are a thief.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25848 posts
11234 upvotes
What? Since when do they not take opened items?
[OP]
Nov 2, 2010
769 posts
130 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 1:46 pm
So you are telling us that you are a thief.
Lol I'm returning both items in unused condition how is that theft?
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 1:47 pm
What? Since when do they not take opened items?
Fo hard drives it is. Which I think sucks cuz it does not apply to computers
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4966 posts
611 upvotes
Ottawa
Ethical issues aside, if wouldn't really be theft from Best Buy since you are returning the same product. As for theft from Costco, it'a basically the same as "renting" (buying knowing that you fully intend to return the item).
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4104 upvotes
Ottawa
Casual wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 2:15 pm
Lol I'm returning both items in unused condition how is that theft?
So in that case Costco can put an open box item on the floor and people will fight to buy it instead of a factory wrapped one. Right?

Costco will need to send it to their liquidators for pennies on the dollar.

But hey you're an ethical fella right?
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1825 posts
1099 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
^^^^^ As above, Costco will now have to sell the item as an open box at the very least (I do not know Costco policies regarding the discount on open box or if they do so). That said if it goes to a liquidator then the loss may be greater. This is basically called Theft by Conversion, this is defined by the Criminal Code, S. 322(1) C.C.C.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Nov 2, 2010
769 posts
130 upvotes
So I guess I will not be doing. If its indeed theft.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17518 posts
9858 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Casual wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 3:26 pm
So I guess I will not be doing. If its indeed theft.
Even if it's not theft, it certainly fails the ethics smell test. As others have pointed out even if Costco accepts your "open box" return, they'll suffer a loss for an error that was yours start with and that had nothing to do with them. Why should they have to do that when you didn't buy that drive from them?

P.S. In the case of a hard drive or similar storage device, they can't just sell it as open box either. They have to do a full erase of the contents first, even if they send it out to a liquidator just in case you left personal or illegal content. That also adds to their labour costs.
veni, vidi, Visa